Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Going to get flamed by the sponsored vendors:

Military surplus parachute. Some guy lines, some stakes, and a hammer.
you could use a few old speakers for the magnets to hold it to the roof or park close to a few trees and cross tie
I see your point

Reactions: MidOH

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nokesville, Prince William County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Reactions: Kevin108

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
What’s a good awning, bang for buck? Thanks!
Checkout the Overland Pro's Raptor 6K.... We have them on our 4Runner and Patriot Camper... You can take a look at them on our Instagram @ironhorseoverland

Reactions: OTH Overland

3rdtimer

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Berkeley, CA, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Checkout the Overland Pro's Raptor 6K.... We have them on our 4Runner and Patriot Camper... You can take a look at them on our Instagram @ironhorseoverland
Hi Mike, I'm curious about the overland pros awning that you have on your 4runner. Is it a 270 deg awning? (Sorry, I did check Instagram but could not find any photos that
showed it deployed in a way that I could discern the size.)

If it is a 270, are you able to fully open the rear lift gate?

PS: We attended your camp security class at overland expo mtn west--very helpful! Thank you!

- Allen

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Make sure to pick the correct awning for the side of the vehicle that you want to put it on if you go with a 270 degree awning. Our kitchen in on the pax side (and so is our awning) to keep us as far away from the road when pulling over for a quick bite.

I wanted a right-hand side opening for the van, but they are hard to get in Australia.
We tend to put the van as far off the road as possible and the awning towards the road. (We drive on the left).
At the moment, I'm using LHS OzTent Foxwing. It used to be on another vehicle, so it's what I had to hand at the time.
I could say it's old, but only the backplate, canvas and 3 out of 4 spars are original. Everything else has been replaced.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Make sure to pick the correct awning for the side of the vehicle that you want to put it on if you go with a 270 degree awning. Our kitchen in on the pax side (and so is our awning) to keep us as far away from the road when pulling over for a quick bite.

I wanted a right-hand side opening for the van, but they are hard to get in Australia.
We tend to put the van as far off the road as possible and the awning towards the road. (We drive on the left).
At the moment, I'm using LHS OzTent Foxwing. It used to be on another vehicle, so it's what I had to hand at the time.
I could say it's old, but only the backplate, canvas and 3 out of 4 spars are original. Everything else has been replaced.
Have a look at the Batwing by RHINO RACK. They are AUS based. Superb quality.

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG

Ironman 4X4 XTR-71 DeltaWing is what I’m using. It’s freestanding but has legs if needed. It’s also RHS. They are based out of AUS and USA

Attachments

DirtyPawz

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wing
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Going to get flamed by the sponsored vendors:

Military surplus parachute. Some guy lines, some stakes, and a hammer.
On the beach, we had a massive tarp we would bungee cord between the roof racks of two different vehicles, creating a cavernous shelter between them. I've experimented with a stand-alone tarp as well.

View attachment 240517
Corolla? Or Hatteras?

Reactions: Kevin108

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
What’s a good awning, bang for buck? Thanks!
I have the front runner awning and I am very happy with it. Also excellent support when required some replacements.

Attachments