Awning/RTT heating for winter camping | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Awning/RTT heating for winter camping

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Member Rep Midd Europe, France, Belgium

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

A little bit of extra warmth can make winter camping a whole lot more fun.
So therefore I'm looking at some possibilities.
To sum it up I have 3 possible solutions:
1) a diesel heater
2) a kerosine (Petroleum) heater
3) a wood burning stove

Those 3 are (as far as I know) the only possibilities that do not ad moisture (and therefore condensation) to the tent.

All come with their own pro's and con's.

For the Diesel heater, the main pro is ease of use, set it and forget it.
The main con is the noice (exhaust and diesel pump). I hate noice at night, for myself but also I do not want to attract attention.

For the kerosine heater pro is cost of purchase and it gives a bit more ambiance, and the con, need some more attention and is less safe as the Diesel heater.

The wood stove, pros are: a lot of heat, a lot of ambiance. Cons are price, the wood you need to carry and the maintenance to keep the fire burning at night

So who has experience with what and can help me decide. For the moment I tend to the kerosine.

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank V

Member III

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I have some experience with the petroleum heater like this

Worked just fine, relatively cheap solution.
I prefer the diesel heater like autoterm (ex planar) there are several options to make them really silent.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Mid Europe Member Rep Germany
Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
I prefer the diesel heater like autoterm (ex planar) there are several options to make them really silent.
Right. There are so many possibilities, decoupling the fuel pump, silencer for the exhaust anyway, silencer fresh air and silencer for the warm incoming air.

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Member Rep Midd Europe, France, Belgium

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Right. There are so many possibilities, decoupling the fuel pump, silencer for the exhaust anyway, silencer fresh air and silencer for the warm incoming air.
Yes, but at what cost really? Have you have any numbers or maybe a webshop? Have no clue where to start looking.
And an other disadvantage of the Diesel heater is the 12v power consumption.

MazeVX

Rank V

Member III

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Yes, but at what cost really? Have you have any numbers or maybe a webshop? Have no clue where to start looking.
And an other disadvantage of the Diesel heater is the 12v power consumption.

This is complete kit, exclusive the super silencers, there's just the standards included but it really isn't that loud and silencers can be retrofitted easily. This shop has a vast experience with heating solutions.
Another shop, Nakatanenga, sells a complete solution in a box but it's much more expensive but a fully standalone solution. The power consumption is very low, with a good battery its nothing to worry about.
Will add a link to the standalone heater below...

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Well, there are a few manufacturers. Top dogs such as Eberspächer or Webasto, for example. Or the popular Autoterm products Mathias already mentioned which in the vanlife and overlander sector in Europe became more and more popular (due to its price). Or manufacturers such as Wallas, which are very well known in the boat sector. Webasto you get traditionally at the Bosch service, there I would ask then simply the next Bosch service at your place. Autoterm is distributed in Germany for example by tigerexped, there you can look in the online store for heating.

I have decided, for example, with regard to my diesel coolant heater for a Webasto. Because this is just a manufacturer that has been around for a long time with a lot of experience and good spare parts supply. In addition, I feel that there is a difference between the cheaper and more expensive heaters (I'm not even talking about the Chinese devices) in the value of, for example, control panel, housing, etc. to recognize. And I like to have high quality stuff because I would like to rely on it anytime.

I wouldn't worry so much about the power consumption. We are talking about warm air heaters in the range of 2KW power. After the increased start-up current, these usually have a continuous demand of a few watts in the upper single-digit range.

If you want to heat the tent, then of course the mobile versions of diesel heaters are interesting, which are more and more on the rise. There are either ready solutions to buy, for example in Germany here at Nakatanenga in different versions. And here in the forum you will also find many DIY solutions.

Of course, the diesel heater is probably a more expensive solution than any petroleum stoves, that's for sure.

There are also solutions for nice wood burning stoves around. You will find them for example in the bushcraft area. There is a swiss company making very nice tiny stoves for the inside of the rig. Take a look here at Tiny Stove.

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
haha, Mathias was a little bit faster in typing...

MazeVX

Rank V

Member III

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Haha coincidence...
So there's one point, if you want it to heat while you sleep, you get in trouble with wood or petroleum because you just can't get a whole night out of one load (or tank) so you have to get up and refill.
The tigerexped developed a real ecosystem around the autoterm heater with remote control panels and remote temperature sensors and what not so you really can get what you want, hot water included.

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Haha coincidence...
So there's one point, if you want it to heat while you sleep, you get in trouble with wood or petroleum because you just can't get a whole night out of one load (or tank) so you have to get up and refill.
The tigerexped developed a real ecosystem around the autoterm heater with remote control panels and remote temperature sensors and what not so you really can get what you want, hot water included.
That is a very good point regarding the refilling or adding enough firewood, Mathias. Thanks for adding. Yes, that's right at tigerexped you really get a lot around the diesel heater. Also the hot water solutions that you have mentioned are interesting.