Avoiding Pinstripes! (and MEK Magnet Review)

• HTML tutorial

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Please add your pinstriping pictures, tips for avoidance, and cleaning/protection products to the thread below! Let's make this a great discussion for those plagued with forest wheeling.

Pinstripes suck! I know a lot of folks, myself included, don't particularly care if your rig shows some signs of life. But here is a great option for you either way.
I was lucky enough to be partnered with MEK Magnet last year and help design a kit for my Jeep Gladiator, in thanks they gave me a set to talk about to other enthusiasts. They have options for several Jeep models and Broncos as of this writing.
mekmagnet.com

Basically, this is a reusable sticker (not actually a magnet) that's thick enough to stop those pesky trees from adding their signature to your artwork. And no more cringing when you hear that awful scrape.
I really like the kit for the most part, it takes some practice to set it on straight and you might curse a little lining it up but once you get the hang of it it's really a breeze. This backing is super sticky too, it takes me using both hands to peel up a corner. It's some rubberlike compound that's actually washable, just wet it and it temporarily loses stickiness so you can wipe off leaves / dirt etc. then just allow it to dry and become sticky again.

They say you can put it on and take it off each time you head out but I left mine on for an entire year and it held up great and left no residue or marks on my paint. My only issue was with the lowest piece by my rocker panels, because its often wet on the rockers hitting mud etc. the piece failed and peeled off. They do include a handful of extra replacements though (for my Jeep they did anyway). They have some pretty cool designs or you can create a custom design and they aren't terribly expensive when you think about the body work in the long run. Just thought I'd share, check out some photos!

Pros: Protection from sticks and minor scratching, washable, reusable, removable, custom designs, sticks to non-magnetic body panels, optional storage case.
Cons: Difficult to handle at times, which in turn can cause damage to the MEK Magnet, high upfront cost.

0421221309_HDR.jpg0421221254a_HDR.jpg
0422221212a_HDR.jpg0422221220_HDR.jpg
0422221218_HDR.jpg
0421221458_HDR.jpg

Reactions: MuckSavage

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I would love to see what you use to remove pinstripes, pictures and product links please!

Recon Rooster

Rank 0

Contributor I

Jackson, Ocean County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Riester
Service Branch
Army
Please add your pinstriping pictures, tips for avoidance, and cleaning/protection products to the thread below! Let's make this a great discussion for those plagued with forest wheeling.

Pinstripes suck! I know a lot of folks, myself included, don't particularly care if your rig shows some signs of life. But here is a great option for you either way.
I was lucky enough to be partnered with MEK Magnet last year and help design a kit for my Jeep Gladiator, in thanks they gave me a set to talk about to other enthusiasts. They have options for several Jeep models and Broncos as of this writing.
mekmagnet.com

Basically, this is a reusable sticker (not actually a magnet) that's thick enough to stop those pesky trees from adding their signature to your artwork. And no more cringing when you hear that awful scrape.
I really like the kit for the most part, it takes some practice to set it on straight and you might curse a little lining it up but once you get the hang of it it's really a breeze. This backing is super sticky too, it takes me using both hands to peel up a corner. It's some rubberlike compound that's actually washable, just wet it and it temporarily loses stickiness so you can wipe off leaves / dirt etc. then just allow it to dry and become sticky again.

They say you can put it on and take it off each time you head out but I left mine on for an entire year and it held up great and left no residue or marks on my paint. My only issue was with the lowest piece by my rocker panels, because its often wet on the rockers hitting mud etc. the piece failed and peeled off. They do include a handful of extra replacements though (for my Jeep they did anyway). They have some pretty cool designs or you can create a custom design and they aren't terribly expensive when you think about the body work in the long run. Just thought I'd share, check out some photos!

Pros: Protection from sticks and minor scratching, washable, reusable, removable, custom designs, sticks to non-magnetic body panels, optional storage case.
Cons: Difficult to handle at times, which in turn can cause damage to the MEK Magnet, high upfront cost.

View attachment 270421View attachment 270422
View attachment 270423View attachment 270424
View attachment 270425
View attachment 270426
I will never use anything else. This removed lots of sticker/ adhesive gunk from my last truck and did not mess with the finish.

Attachments

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

mekmagnet.com

View attachment 270425
View attachment 270426
I will never use anything else. This removed lots of sticker/ adhesive gunk from my last truck and did not mess with the finish.
Yeah love that stuff! I think I have that exact bottle in my garage too.

Dirttraveler

Rank II

Contributor II

Gilroy, California, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Kendrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None yet

mekmagnet.com

View attachment 270425
View attachment 270426
I always use this “Bead Maker”
Paint protectant. It goes on like wax. It makes the paint so slick the California brush no longer scratches my paint. I have had the nasty hard brush pushing hard on both sides at once… no noise, no pinstriping. Yes I have some pin striping from before using this product… someday I will buff those out. But sense I now always put a new coat of bead maker before a big trip, I have not seen anymore pin striping. It works for me.
Steve

Attachments

Ethan N

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

mekmagnet.com

View attachment 270425
View attachment 270426
I always use this “Bead Maker”
Paint protectant. It goes on like wax. It makes the paint so slick the California brush no longer scratches my paint. I have had the nasty hard brush pushing hard on both sides at once… no noise, no pinstriping. Yes I have some pin striping from before using this product… someday I will buff those out. But sense I now always put a new coat of bead maker before a big trip, I have not seen anymore pin striping. It works for me.
Steve
Interesting, I'll look into this one. Thanks for posting!

Reactions: Recon Rooster