AutoCAD / Concept Drawings for a (2008+) 2010 Caravan Camper / Vanlife / Travel buildout?

• HTML tutorial

jaybgood

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Good
I have purchased a 2010 Grand Caravan SE with Stow and Go seating and I would like to build a conversion utilizing the space best as possible, figured with 10 years producing the same vehicle same dimensions hundreds of thousands if not millions of these vans have been converted some using AutoCAD. Hoping to get my hands on an AutoCAD design specifically to save me from doing dimensions ground up. Any files, concept drawings, recommendations or opinions that may help me in my build I would greatly appreciate. Thanks & happy travels.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have purchased a 2010 Grand Caravan SE with Stow and Go seating and I would like to build a conversion utilizing the space best as possible, figured with 10 years producing the same vehicle same dimensions hundreds of thousands if not millions of these vans have been converted some using AutoCAD. Hoping to get my hands on an AutoCAD design specifically to save me from doing dimensions ground up. Any files, concept drawings, recommendations or opinions that may help me in my build I would greatly appreciate. Thanks & happy travels.
Sketchup has a great extension called 3-D Warehouse. 3-D Warehouse is a tool for sharing SKP files (similar to AutoCad, but a lot cheaper, and most times free). I bet you could find something in the 3-D warehouse.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Jay, see below for a couple of links to sites that have 3d versions of the Grand Caravan, 4th Gen should be the same from 2008 to 2020 according to wiki page. Pretty pricey (around $100 or so), but usually pretty detailed and available in many formats depending on your software. A caution though - They make a nice model and look good, but can be hard to work with depending on who digitized them. Typically they have been done for gaming platforms and not design work and as such are usually 3d meshes or similar that are hard to section in AutoCAD to get usable drawings for dimensions. Hard to modify. I typically use them as a base model to add exterior accessories such as tire mounts etc that i am designing. Not much use for interior projects.

As Mike mentioned above SketchUp does provide some models, usually a bit lower on detail but often free. There is a free 2010 Grand Caravan in the warehouse. If you have the pro version of Sketchup you can export the models into AutoCAD, but again they are not normal AutoCAD objects and can be hard to manipulate, likely easier to do in SketchUp. (I would be happy to export anything from SketchUp to AutoCAD if you don't have the pro version. Have added an image of the Caravan from SketchUp including a section cut of the level of detail on the inside. This model should allow you to model interior cabinets within SketchUp and put them in place. You can edit the model in SketchUp to remove seats etc.
Caravan.PNGCaravan Section.PNG

There is also a site called the-blueprints.com that has 2d drawings of a lot of vehicles. They have a Caravan LE Just the 4 exterior views, but you can get it in cad format and works ok for exterior dimensions and creating elevations views of an exterior project. and its cheap these are usually around 20 bucks
1636593020320.png

Best of luck with your project