Enthusiast III

Swanton, Franklin County, Vermont, United States
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

Ciao Tutti,
I’ve been researching for past weeks (to nauseam mind you) on AT tires, I have narrowed it down to three! But can’t make up my mind on which??

Here’s the three
Toyo ATlll
Yokohama g015
Kenda RT

Size LT235-80r17

Could I get some real time advice from those of you who are riding on any of the three now??
My JKU in a daily driven Jeep.
Grazia,
Carlo

Reactions: sonofabenz

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I’m a BFG and Toyo fan. There are a few variables when choosing tires and it’s sounds like you’ve done the research but just remember it comes down to what you are using your Jeep for and the type of terrains your mainly driving. I’d personally pick the tire that fits my needs over brand and model. Best of luck on your tire journey.

Reactions: Silvanus27

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We had G015s installed on our Subaru Outback replacing Michelin Defender street tires about 6 months ago. The car is a daily driver and road noise was going to be a MAJOR issue with the wife. Whining down the highway wasn’t going to happen. Also wanted to keep stock size. They are excellent on the street and trails. They ride and perform better on the street than the Michelin’s , even quieter! If your looking for a jacked up mud tire these are not it. Daily driver, great on moderate trails, aggressive looks, low noise, performance look no further.
Used to have a Porsche with Yoko high performance tires, thing was unbelievable, like being glued to the road in high G turns, never broke loose, not even close no matter how hard I pushed the car.
A2A740B4-6EC6-46A5-BC34-DE5C9123C44F.jpeg49A6117E-A85A-4061-B991-C7DEB6C369A0.jpeg

Reactions: Silvanus27

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Kenda Klever RT by a mile.

But Between those three, I think you already knew that. Lol.

That Jeep deserves Cooper STT Pro's, though.

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

Kenda Klever RT by a mile.

But Between those three, I think you already knew that. Lol.

That Jeep deserves Cooper STT Pro's, though.
Already rolling on STMaxx, a wee too heavy a tire (55pds per tire), yes, Kenda RT is the one that’s leading out of the three, 3ply sidewall, the other two don’t.

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

I’m a BFG and Toyo fan. There are a few variables when choosing tires and it’s sounds like you’ve done the research but just remember it comes down to what you are using your Jeep for and the type of terrains your mainly driving. I’d personally pick the tire that fits my needs over brand and model. Best of luck on your tire journey.
Thanks!
Here in the Northeast the terrain varies, so I’m looking for a tire that can work well during the seasonal changes here in Vermont!

I also am a fan of BFG & Cooper(rolling on ST Maxx currently) but need to change up because my needs have changed, and also my direction in trail travel!

I appreciate your advice, Milli Grazie!!

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

We had G015s installed on our Subaru Outback replacing Michelin Defender street tires about 6 months ago. The car is a daily driver and road noise was going to be a MAJOR issue with the wife. Whining down the highway wasn’t going to happen. Also wanted to keep stock size. They are excellent on the street and trails. They ride and perform better on the street than the Michelin’s , even quieter! If your looking for a jacked up mud tire these are not it. Daily driver, great on moderate trails, aggressive looks, low noise, performance look no further.
Used to have a Porsche with Yoko high performance tires, thing was unbelievable, like being glued to the road in high G turns, never broke loose, not even close no matter how hard I pushed the car.
View attachment 191012View attachment 191013
I really like the g015, but it’s the sidewalls that concern me, I prefer 3ply over two, here in New England there’s quite a lot of bits (roots, shalie rock, etc) that stick out in the side of ruts.

Thanks for your advice!!

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I agree. I would consider these a “light” AT / Street tire. I was really impressed how well and quiet they were on the street. She even noticed it right away when we picked it up. I have the Michelin LTX on our truck, when they are parked side by side the 015s tread looks similar but goes about a third of the way up the sidewall. I’m interested how well they wear. On the Porsche they would be finished at 15-20k miles.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had great luck with my kendas and the only complain I really have about them is the weight .
Other tires I’ve had great luck with
Cooper discover at3 4s
Dick cepek both the extreme country and trail country exp

Silvanus27

Rank IV
Launch Member
Investor

Enthusiast III

First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Micheli
Member #

I’ve had great luck with my kendas and the only complain I really have about them is the weight .
Other tires I’ve had great luck with
Cooper discover at3 4s
Dick cepek both the extreme country and trail country exp
I selected 235-80R17(straight up 32-9.3-17) in keeping with the OEM 255-75R17, just slightly narrower than OEM!
They should weigh less than the 255-75R17 (55pds) STMaxx that’s on the Jeep now!

Kenda RT 235-80R17 weigh’s in at 50 lb, same as the OEM BFG MT’s, Reduced the Jeep’s weight by 25lbs!
Wee bit excited about that!!

Can’t wait to put them on,and to see how they work out???

Thanks all for your input!!!

Last edited:

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Tyres we have used in South America (2010-2018):

Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on the vehicle we had there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on the vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad. So, I'd recommend Toyos if your travel is similar to ours (70% tarmac, 25% unsurfaced, 5% offroad). I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Ciao Tutti,
I’ve been researching for past weeks (to nauseam mind you) on AT tires, I have narrowed it down to three! But can’t make up my mind on which??

Here’s the three
Toyo ATlll
Yokohama g015
Kenda RT

Size LT235-80r17

Could I get some real time advice from those of you who are riding on any of the three now??
Grazia,
Carlo
I run BFG KO2's on my CJ5, and Pro Comp A/T's on my Ram. I just picked up my second full set of Pro Comp's and I absolutely love the performance. I was sold on the new tires when I contacted the customer service reps of Summit Racing, 4WD.com, and Quadratec. Each one had great things to say about both BFG and Pro Comp A/Ts

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Ciao Tutti,

Here’s the three
Toyo ATlll
Yokohama g015
Kenda RT

Size LT235-80r17

Grazia,
Carlo
Of those three, dozens of hours of research has led me to the Toyo OC ATIII that I'll probably look to install this summer.

Of note, the specific features that made the stand out over other various ATs to me, in order of priority:

1) Reported road noise--generally reported as one of the quietest ATs, especially for its aggressiveness and offroad capabilities.
2) Snow / Ice performance--seems better than most in this class
3) Aesthetics--more aggressive tread pattern than most ATs

whododat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TN
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Jim
I have had the Toyo AT3's on our GX460 for over 20k now. We love them. Yes, they are louder than stock and you will hear them but they have been fantastic so far. Even in the little snow we got here, they gripped very well on the road. I use LT 275 65 18's on the GX with Black Rhino rims. Lexus.jpg

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I just got a set of Toyo at3s, and I’m very happy with them. I took them out to Death Valley to test them out, and they were great. Great traction, and great road manners. They are also very quiet on the highway. I’m running 31/10.50/15 on my stock 15x5.5 inch steel wheels.

Attachments