Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

@Michael
Side question, or semi-bug. It seems (and possibly necessarily so) that any time the app is launched (Android version), Location Service gets activated. This means even launching the app just to check the message board is going to fire up location, which then stays active even after you exit the app (since Android keeps the app alive unless you force close). I get the location service has to be allowed to run in background to record tracks and the like, but maybe don't activate it unless mapping features are accessed, or something along that line? This would prevent potential battery impact from location running when not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael
Side question, or semi-bug. It seems (and possibly necessarily so) that any time the app is launched (Android version), Location Service gets activated. This means even launching the app just to check the message board is going to fire up location, which then stays active even after you exit the app (since Android keeps the app alive unless you force close). I get the location service has to be allowed to run in background to record tracks and the like, but maybe don't activate it unless mapping features are accessed, or something along that line? This would prevent potential battery impact from location running when not needed.
This slipped under the radar! Can you check now - the latest version should be less aggressive.

Reactions: Moebius01

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

@Michael
This slipped under the radar! Can you check now - the latest version should be less aggressive.
I had noticed that. Seems much better, but I'll test a bit heavier this week.

Reactions: Michael