Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Am planning the third section of our premier drive around the continental United States. We have most west coast complete. Just have a bit left to do in Washington.

The next section will be from San Diego to Port Isabell, TX. The California portion looks to be pretty straight forward along CA 98 to Yuma. My question for he group is about the border road from San Luis, AZ to Organ Pipe National Mounment and then on to Nogales and Douglas.

Is the border road drivable the entire distance? Road and satellite maps show it as a dirt track. Would like to drive it as it is one of the few roads that is right next to the border.

I am aware of the safety concerns of being in that area. We will be in a 4x4 camper van and plan to be in the area mid April. Anyone is welcome to join in on the trip. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: tritonl

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
If you want to go along the boarder from Yuma to Organ Pipe NM, that is part of El Camino Del Diablo, and pass through the Cabeza Prieta Refuge, and the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range, and you need permits to go through both. If you do some searching on El Camino Del Diablo, you will find info on that, I think you can get permits for the Goldwater range, in Yuma at the Marine Corp Air Station. I'm not sure about the permits for what would would be the exit point for you the Cabeza Prieta Refuge.

Also, I haven not done the Camino El Diablo, but from my research, You might not want to do it in a single vehicle, (some soft sand areas) and can take up to 3 days to do.

Edit: here is a link to the Refuge, looks like you can get a permit in Yuma as well.
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Cabeza_Prieta/visit/permits.html

Last edited:

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
I work down there by the fence if you know what i mean...you cant do the border road from san luis but you can take CDD camino del diablo like previous post.

The Camino isnt horribly bad but i would recommend 4x4 if you want to go really slow, the speed limit down there is 25mph and i recommend that speed since there are several blind curves and nowhere to go since the road is deep.

The first 20-30 miles is all sand and then you hit the Pinacate Lava Rocks which you can only go about 5mph. Its really short and then it turns to dry lake bed for few miles and then again sand but not as bad as the beginning. East of Papago Well you will notice a change in terrain and it will be a rougher ride but nothing to be worried about, maybe just severe washboard and blind curves closer to Bates Well. Keep in mind the local BP rides will be on this road as well as other tourist.

Just east of the 2nd BP camp, called Boundary Camp there will be a road that goes south called Pozo Nuevo Rd. That will take you down to the fence and you are allowed to drive the all-weather road that parallels the border road by few yards. That all-weather rd is called South Puerto Blanco Road. If you follow that east you will drive to Lukeville,AZ. From there you will have to drive north until you hit SR-86.

One thing i recommend is to drive with your headlights on and if you have a lightbar on the roof to turn it on too, other drivers might not see your ride coming but they will see lights even during daylight.

If you choose to continue on CDD instead of going down Pozo, you will go past bates well where there will be an intersection. You can take either. If you take a right it will take you to SR-85 by mile post 59 just south of Why,AZ. If you go straight it will take you to SR-85 mile post 45sh just south of Ajo, AZ. Keep in mind that once you go down from Yuma you will loose cell service unless you have a mexican cell plan. You will once again get service once you hit that intersection just east of Bates Well.

From there you cant drive to border road anymore. The closest allowed is to drive SR-86 to Tucson. The entire sr-86 crosses the Tohono O'Odham reservation. Be aware of live cattle on the road and for illegal aliens

And from Tucson further east I have no clue

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman and SgtMac

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I work down there by the fence if you know what i mean...you cant do the border road from san luis but you can take CDD camino del diablo like previous post.

The Camino isnt horribly bad but i would recommend 4x4 if you want to go really slow, the speed limit down there is 25mph and i recommend that speed since there are several blind curves and nowhere to go since the road is deep.

The first 20-30 miles is all sand and then you hit the Pinacate Lava Rocks which you can only go about 5mph. Its really short and then it turns to dry lake bed for few miles and then again sand but not as bad as the beginning. East of Papago Well you will notice a change in terrain and it will be a rougher ride but nothing to be worried about, maybe just severe washboard and blind curves closer to Bates Well. Keep in mind the local BP rides will be on this road as well as other tourist.

Just east of the 2nd BP camp, called Boundary Camp there will be a road that goes south called Pozo Nuevo Rd. That will take you down to the fence and you are allowed to drive the all-weather road that parallels the border road by few yards. That all-weather rd is called South Puerto Blanco Road. If you follow that east you will drive to Lukeville,AZ. From there you will have to drive north until you hit SR-86.

One thing i recommend is to drive with your headlights on and if you have a lightbar on the roof to turn it on too, other drivers might not see your ride coming but they will see lights even during daylight.

If you choose to continue on CDD instead of going down Pozo, you will go past bates well where there will be an intersection. You can take either. If you take a right it will take you to SR-85 by mile post 59 just south of Why,AZ. If you go straight it will take you to SR-85 mile post 45sh just south of Ajo, AZ. Keep in mind that once you go down from Yuma you will loose cell service unless you have a mexican cell plan. You will once again get service once you hit that intersection just east of Bates Well.

From there you cant drive to border road anymore. The closest allowed is to drive SR-86 to Tucson. The entire sr-86 crosses the Tohono O'Odham reservation. Be aware of live cattle on the road and for illegal aliens

And from Tucson further east I have no clue
TRAIL JEALOUSY

Reactions: DezertRat

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I explore south and east of Tucson quite a bit and can share some GPS tracks if you like. From SR-86 out of Why,AZ you can take 286 South toward Sasabe, AZ, then east on Arivaca Sasabe Rd and take it all the way to Arivaca, AZ. Stop at Arivaca Mercantile for resupply of fuel and groceries (NOTE they are only open 7AM-7PM M-F, 8AM-6PM Sun). From Arivaca you can head south out of town on S 5th Ave, then about a 1/2 mile south of town, turn east on to Ruby Rd. Just stay on Ruby Road through all it's twists it will eventually turn into a dirt road a mile or so before leading you into the Coronado National Forest. Once in the forest there are dispersed campsites to be found everywhere.

If you want to experience a bit of history, I recommend making a stop at the Ruby, AZ ghost town. follow the very small sign to turn south off of Ruby Road onto the property, there is a caretaker there that will ask for $10-12 per adult for access and then provide you with a map of the town which you are free to self-explore as much as you want. (http://rubyaz.com/) For an extra $8/night you can camp there, although you still need to be fully self-sufficient. No water is provided, but there are usable/stocked outhouses around the town.

Continue east on Ruby Rd, you'll pass more dispersed campsites and side-trails, eventually you will come to Peña Blanca Lake, there are a few drive-up campsites there, not sure how busy they get. The campsites and picnic areas around the lake have pit toilets available.

Continue east on Ruby Rd a bit more and you'll come to I-19. north to Tucson, south to Nogales. Nogales is the best/closest place to resupply if needed. The next real civilization to the east is roughly 60 more miles of dirt roads.

Choose your own adventure:
A) If you are stocked up: continue east on Ruby Rd across 1-19 for about a mile and a half. Turn south on either Calle Zapotec or Via Frontera to jog down onto S River Rd. follow S River Road east until HWY-82. Cross HWY 82 and S River Rd turns into Duquesne Rd.

B) If you need supplies, head south to Nogales, get goods, then take HWY-82 out of town heading northeast. Follow 82 for a few minutes until you see Duquesne Rd / S. River Rd. Turn east onto Duquesne Rd.

From HWY-82, follow Duquesne Rd east, there are LOTS of places to see here, some right on Duquesne Rd, some a short detour away. Things to look up: Mowry Mine, Duquesne Ghost Town, Washington Camp, Lochiel, Fray Marcos De Niza Historical Landmark, Santa Cruz River headwaters, trails directly along the US/Mexico border fence. Lots of great dispersed camping all over the place

Duquesne Rd will eventually turn into FR-61/Duquesne Rd which will eventually turn into Lochiel Rd. Keep working your way eastward and eventually you'll intersect with W Montezuma Canyon Rd which you can follow east toward Coronado National Memorial. You'll pass up and over Montezuma Pass which is a great view, and then drop down into the Memorial where you'll find hiking trails, Coronado Cave, and at the east end a Ranger station with bathrooms, water, a small museum about the area and a gift shop. NOTE: If you are a patch collector, the Coronado National Memorial patch is really pretty, one of my favorite park patches.

After leaving Coronado National Memorial, S Coronado Memorial Rd will eventually intersect with HW-92 Left (which leads north) will take you to Casa Grande a few minutes away - great place to gas up and restock food if needed. Right turn on 92 will take you east towards Bisbee. Between Casa Grande, Naco, and Douglas, there are forest service roads that go along the border, cleverly named "Border Rd" and "International Ave" on the maps, but I have not been down them myself yes so I have no verification if they go all the way through. Last time we were headed that way we opted to take 92 to Bisbee, AZ (which is a really neat little historic town) and then take 80 to Douglaz, AZ from there.

Once you make it to Douglas, AZ, as noted in the comment above, you can take Geronimo Trail all the way to NM. I highly recommend making a couple hour stop a the Slaughter Ranch on Geronimo Trail east of Douglas. We stopped there on a whim and it was really cool. It's a massive historic ranch with something like 24 artesian wells. I think it was a $5 donation to get access to the area and a booklet with a self guided walking tour and lots of information about the history. Very cool. one note: The caretakers also foster abused dogs on the property, so no outside dogs are allowed. if you have a dog with you on your trip, you'll likely have to skip this stop.

Here's a few GPS tracks that we mapped, I have more if you have specific interests. I am fairly familiar with the borderlands, especially the section between Nogales and Sierra Vista and the section east of Douglas. I'm happy to provide specific GPS coordinates for good campsites we've found as well.

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/f516647e-969c-4a74-b879-b7afa67cc94d/

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/faa45d5cfe3d88cc80cd1f2d87e478f6/

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/f0f5adf07761daf0eb8294cb8e37e445

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I just remembered that it was on Geronimo Trail that we ran across our favorite random roadside attraction! The roadside 5c pony ride:

Reactions: SgtMac

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I explore south and east of Tucson quite a bit and can share some GPS tracks if you like. From SR-86 out of Why,AZ you can take 286 South toward Sasabe, AZ, then east on Arivaca Sasabe Rd and take it all the way to Arivaca, AZ. Stop at Arivaca Mercantile for resupply of fuel and groceries (NOTE they are only open 7AM-7PM M-F, 8AM-6PM Sun). From Arivaca you can head south out of town on S 5th Ave, then about a 1/2 mile south of town, turn east on to Ruby Rd. Just stay on Ruby Road through all it's twists it will eventually turn into a dirt road a mile or so before leading you into the Coronado National Forest. Once in the forest there are dispersed campsites to be found everywhere.

If you want to experience a bit of history, I recommend making a stop at the Ruby, AZ ghost town. follow the very small sign to turn south off of Ruby Road onto the property, there is a caretaker there that will ask for $10-12 per adult for access and then provide you with a map of the town which you are free to self-explore as much as you want. (http://rubyaz.com/) For an extra $8/night you can camp there, although you still need to be fully self-sufficient. No water is provided, but there are usable/stocked outhouses around the town.

Continue east on Ruby Rd, you'll pass more dispersed campsites and side-trails, eventually you will come to Peña Blanca Lake, there are a few drive-up campsites there, not sure how busy they get. The campsites and picnic areas around the lake have pit toilets available.

Continue east on Ruby Rd a bit more and you'll come to I-19. north to Tucson, south to Nogales. Nogales is the best/closest place to resupply if needed. The next real civilization to the east is roughly 60 more miles of dirt roads.

Choose your own adventure:
A) If you are stocked up: continue east on Ruby Rd across 1-19 for about a mile and a half. Turn south on either Calle Zapotec or Via Frontera to jog down onto S River Rd. follow S River Road east until HWY-82. Cross HWY 82 and S River Rd turns into Duquesne Rd.

B) If you need supplies, head south to Nogales, get goods, then take HWY-82 out of town heading northeast. Follow 82 for a few minutes until you see Duquesne Rd / S. River Rd. Turn east onto Duquesne Rd.

From HWY-82, follow Duquesne Rd east, there are LOTS of places to see here, some right on Duquesne Rd, some a short detour away. Things to look up: Mowry Mine, Duquesne Ghost Town, Washington Camp, Lochiel, Fray Marcos De Niza Historical Landmark, Santa Cruz River headwaters, trails directly along the US/Mexico border fence. Lots of great dispersed camping all over the place

Duquesne Rd will eventually turn into FR-61/Duquesne Rd which will eventually turn into Lochiel Rd. Keep working your way eastward and eventually you'll intersect with W Montezuma Canyon Rd which you can follow east toward Coronado National Memorial. You'll pass up and over Montezuma Pass which is a great view, and then drop down into the Memorial where you'll find hiking trails, Coronado Cave, and at the east end a Ranger station with bathrooms, water, a small museum about the area and a gift shop. NOTE: If you are a patch collector, the Coronado National Memorial patch is really pretty, one of my favorite park patches.

After leaving Coronado National Memorial, S Coronado Memorial Rd will eventually intersect with HW-92 Left (which leads north) will take you to Casa Grande a few minutes away - great place to gas up and restock food if needed. Right turn on 92 will take you east towards Bisbee. Between Casa Grande, Naco, and Douglas, there are forest service roads that go along the border, cleverly named "Border Rd" and "International Ave" on the maps, but I have not been down them myself yes so I have no verification if they go all the way through. Last time we were headed that way we opted to take 92 to Bisbee, AZ (which is a really neat little historic town) and then take 80 to Douglaz, AZ from there.

Once you make it to Douglas, AZ, as noted in the comment above, you can take Geronimo Trail all the way to NM. I highly recommend making a couple hour stop a the Slaughter Ranch on Geronimo Trail east of Douglas. We stopped there on a whim and it was really cool. It's a massive historic ranch with something like 24 artesian wells. I think it was a $5 donation to get access to the area and a booklet with a self guided walking tour and lots of information about the history. Very cool. one note: The caretakers also foster abused dogs on the property, so no outside dogs are allowed. if you have a dog with you on your trip, you'll likely have to skip this stop.

Here's a few GPS tracks that we mapped, I have more if you have specific interests. I am fairly familiar with the borderlands, especially the section between Nogales and Sierra Vista and the section east of Douglas. I'm happy to provide specific GPS coordinates for good campsites we've found as well.

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/f516647e-969c-4a74-b879-b7afa67cc94d/

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/faa45d5cfe3d88cc80cd1f2d87e478f6/

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/f0f5adf07761daf0eb8294cb8e37e445
My wife and I made this run from Ft. Huachuca all the way to Yuma (East to West). Brien's input is perfectly accurate. We were traveling as a single vehicle and loved every minute of the trip. We did see mutiple Border Patrol vehicles and most times we'd stop and provide the Agent with our plans, coming-from & going to, dates on our schedule, and so on. So that we eventually became a "known" entity on the track via the agents debriefings.

We never had any problems with illegals, drug or human trafficers.

It is a wonderful route but extra water, some spare fuel, and a good dose of common sense are of great value.

I ended up hitting the deep soft sand while in 2 wheel drive and with no time to react properly i just kept the RPMs up and plugged right through. I hope your travels are as fortunate. Input about permits is accurate and you are required to go in person and each person (adults only i think) has to sign and account for themselves. I do believe that you can get both permits for at the Marine Corps station in Yuma... google and call Cabeza Prieto office in Ajo to confirm that.

We made this run during mid December so it was very pleasant and made for great cuddling weather at night. I'd recommend taking a brief detour to Christmas Pass to spend the night (at least one nite). During mid-week you'll probably have the place all to your self.

If you do stop at Christmas Pass I'd recommend you be vigilant about sugary drinks and liquids to include raw meat. We experienced an invasion of stubborn bees which i can only assume may have been Africanized. They were VERY aggressive and persistent. We moved the two cans (very gently) away from our camp once they had located them/us. But as evening cooled and the sun set they departed - however returned in mid morning as it warmed backup. Fearing this would be the case i had pre-packed almost all our gear so we could "button up and bail out" if they started to get aggressive. May have been overly cautious on my part but reports of africanized bee swarms had me on edge.

Good luck and enjoy!!! Please do a better job than me and post your travels on the site.

Also a big shout-out to Brien for his input and advice back in October-November in helping me plan our trip...muchos gracias me amigo!!

Last edited:
Reactions: brien

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Finely have my trip figured out. Am planning on camping the night of April 16th near Yuma then stopping at the Marine air station first thing on the 17th to get the permit for El Camino del Diablo. From there it is on to Douglas, AZ. May get the permit on the 16th. All depends on when I arrive.

Talked to a helpful person at the Cabeza Prieta station. The road through the refuge is no longer closed part of the year. She did say the plya is getting deep and 4x4 is required.

Let me know if you are interested in coming along.

Reactions: Eric Neal

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

be careful of illegals along elcamino, theyre not all kind decent people as the liberals like to call them. they will rob you blind and leave you without a vehicle. the first time I did that road a group of about 7 came into our camp when we all went to sleep and cleaned out one of our guys ice chests. everything. he woke up and seen them all over our camp. we had 6 vehicles with 2 people per vehicle...
KEEP YOUR GUN HANDY

Reactions: Shamu and Graeman

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Am back from the trip along the border. It was great fun. The desert is beautiful when it is in bloom. Forgot how much I like it. A brief trip report is in the Overland Trips Now or Then section of the forum. You can read the complete story and see more photos on my blog.

Thanks to all of your for your help and suggestions. They made the trip easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Neal