Are Canvas Tents Suitable for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

U.S. Virgin Islands
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
Have you guys ever considered using a canvas tent for overlanding? What are your thoughts on the versatility and suitability of canvas tents in different overlanding environments?
I am considering these canvas tent for my next overlanding camping trip.
Let me know if it is worth it to invest in canvas tent for overlanding trips.?
Is it convenient to go on overlanding with canvas tent?
Is it durable in different weather conditions?
Does the extra weight of canvas tent worth?
Kindly share your experience with canvas tent if you guys have one.

Reactions: Duster 8 and KD7WCD

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Considering people have motor traveled with canvas tents for over 100 yrs I think you are find.
The issues of course are space and weight, the roof top tent is a thing of convenience, modern ground tents can be lighter and smaller (except canvas)
The other issue will be packing a wet tent and if you have an SUV or Truck where that moisture will be inside with you to dry out or outside where it could mildew

Reactions: Alanymarce

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We use nothing less than a canvas tent. I would recommend you take a look at the family of Oztents. They really do set up very quickly and one person can do it easily. oztent - Google Search

We have the huge Oztent/Jettent 25x which is very easy to set up with two people and a Tepui RTT. Both have been in cold weather, ( teens-f ), sandstorms, heavy winds, hard rain, etc and have always kept us warm and dry. We will never go back to flimsy tents except for back packing. Good luck with your purchase.

Reactions: NMNomad and pl626

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I think your camp gear should match your style of camping. If you plan on staying in one spot for a couple of day's then something that takes time to set up and tear down is fine. I sometimes stay in one spot but most of the time, I'm in a diffrent spot each night.

I have a few friends with OZ tents. Those are the only canvas tents I've seen that are quick set up and tear down. Their sturdy and hold up to wind very well. If I was going to look at ground tents, that's where I would go.

Its all based on what works for what you do.

Reactions: rgallant

Contributor I

U.S. Virgin Islands
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
I think your camp gear should match your style of camping. If you plan on staying in one spot for a couple of day's then something that takes time to set up and tear down is fine. I sometimes stay in one spot but most of the time, I'm in a diffrent spot each night.

I have a few friends with OZ tents. Those are the only canvas tents I've seen that are quick set up and tear down. Their sturdy and hold up to wind very well. If I was going to look at ground tents, that's where I would go.

Its all based on what works for what you do.
thanks for the feedback, I will consider these facts.

Contributor I

U.S. Virgin Islands
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
We use nothing less than a canvas tent. I would recommend you take a look at the family of Oztents. They really do set up very quickly and one person can do it easily. oztent - Google Search

We have the huge Oztent/Jettent 25x which is very easy to set up with two people and a Tepui RTT. Both have been in cold weather, ( teens-f ), sandstorms, heavy winds, hard rain, etc and have always kept us warm and dry. We will never go back to flimsy tents except for back packing. Good luck with your purchase.
Surely I am gonna check Oztents, your advise means a lot, thanks.

Reactions: MOAK

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Love our OZ RV-4. It really does setup quickly, though the claim is less than 30 seconds. If you don't count setting up the guy lines and canopies, I can see how that claim can be true. The ability to link up tents and expand is also nice.

Packing up is quick too, but I guess it's really more suited for a base-camp scenario than a quick one-nighter. We always air out the RV-4 after every trip before packing away, we do the same with hiking tents as well.
1705560837051.png

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Considering people have motor traveled with canvas tents for over 100 yrs I think you are find.
The issues of course are space and weight, the roof top tent is a thing of convenience, modern ground tents can be lighter and smaller (except canvas)
The other issue will be packing a wet tent and if you have an SUV or Truck where that moisture will be inside with you to dry out or outside where it could mildew
Not quite 100 years ago, however I used a canvas tent (made for me in what is now Zimbabwe) when I travelled from Botswana to Kenya in 1974, oneleglance has the topic nailed.

The tent I used (which I still have) was small and light, and I didn;t encounter much rain so it was convenient.

I've watched people with canvas RTTs struggle for 45 minutes to pack them after a wet night, and much prefer a "non-canvas" clamshell RTT (actually we prefer sleeping inside the vehicle however have used a RTT).

Reactions: MOAK

itsoutside

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fairfax CA, USA
First Name
Conor
Last Name
Burns
Member #

I have a 2 person Kodiac Canvas tent. It sets up quick and stays dry inside during bad winds and rain. The bad side is it weighs about 30lbs, doesn't pack down small, and no stargazing. For most my trips Ive switched over to a 3 pound two person tent. I did this because I have back problems and breaking down a 30lb tent at 7:00 in the morning is no fun. I like both and will continue to use both depending on the style camping I'm doing.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not quite 100 years ago, however I used a canvas tent (made for me in what is now Zimbabwe) when I travelled from Botswana to Kenya in 1974, oneleglance has the topic nailed.

The tent I used (which I still have) was small and light, and I didn;t encounter much rain so it was convenient.

I've watched people with canvas RTTs struggle for 45 minutes to pack them after a wet night, and much prefer a "non-canvas" clamshell RTT (actually we prefer sleeping inside the vehicle however have used a RTT).
Gotta chime in on that one. Wet “packing in time”, depends on the quality of the RTT. We have experienced little if any difference in pack time even in the pouring down rain. Now hard windy conditions can cause a major delay.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Use an Ozark Trail tent and you will be fine. As long as you waterproof it. The idea you NEED all this crap is an internet thing. I have been "overlanding" for years and years with various vehicles with gear bought from Cdn tire and Walmart. Had just as much fun, and lots of money in the back afterwards.

Reactions: MMc and MazeVX

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

James D. Smith, I see you are from Virgin Islands, I think of rain. Canvas tents need to be stored dry, I have found they will mildew easily if stored wet. They are great otherwise. There is also a fashion side of tents, Oztent, Gezelle, are todays popular items. I used a Springbar that I inherited from my grandfather for years, I loved it for a car camping. I have a friend who runs a camp to watch Grey whales for 8 weeks a year, she uses Kodiak tents and they are 5 to 7 years old, they withstand wind, to 45mph, inches of rain. Her Whietduck lasted 4 years. Springbar, Kodiak, White duck are all the same style, single upright bars supporting a spring hold out top. They are not fashionable today but they do a long history.

Like all things overland, is a compromise. Do you need a tent you can stand in, will it need to hold up in the wind, rain, snow? Do you want it to go up in 5 mins or is 20 mins OK? Do you want it to pack up small or large, are you going to fly with it? Will it be for a night or a week at the same spot. I camp in the desert, I don't want any open screens because of blow sand. I chose a 9 Lbs 4 man tent that is 3 season for most of camping, I also own 2 each 4 season mountaineering for winter camping. I can't stand in them, the 3 season goes up in about 10 mins, which is fine by me.

I would also look a offer up, facebook market place, and such, there is a bunch of stuff being sold because of folks getting out of camping. There are some great dome tents out there too. Look fro domes with 3 or 4 aluminum polls . no fiber glass.

Last edited:

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I've only used a canvas tent once. It belongs to my mom's boyfriend, and it's old.
It took quite some time to setup, but once it was, it seems very durable, being so heavy. I think it would do ok in light rain, but not a downpour, but unsure as it didn't rain that night.
It also took a lot of space packed up, but not as much as a Gazelle tent.
I probably wouldn't buy one from that experience.
My next tent will be a Core 6 person, even though it's usually my 2 dogs and I, but I like the extra space and being able to stand in my tent to change so my back doesn't strain.

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
From cheap Coleman, to Gazelle to $600 ultralight backpacking tents, nylon has not failed me, in all manner of wet weather. I could not fathom canvas unless I’m dragging in a stove, couch and living out of it for a long while.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have to add that the one drawback for my OZ tent is packed size and weight. The length, 80" = 6'.6"= 2032mm means you probably are going to keep it outside the vehicle. If you do like I do it is up on the roof rack and my Land Rover is kinda tall at 82"= 6'.8" = 2082.8mm to the rack. So you have to be able to put it up and take it down. My OZ RV-3 is listed a 47.7# = 21.5kg. I still love it!