AR Ouachitas FR849 Long Caney through Brushy Hollow

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I have been wanting to go down through this area for a while now. The wife and I had taken a day through over to Hwy 7 in the Ouachita NF and had visited Cove Creek Lake area and loved this area.

Here is the link to where I talked about this area.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ar-cove-creek-lake-fourche-river-overlook.11262/

While we were there riding around the South Fourche River we noticed that there were 2 river crossings. One that would require low water, and even a snorkel at that. And the other you could do just about any time (as I thought at the time). It would be one of the few ways that you could get from Hwy 9 to Hwy 7 without taking a main route. Very rare.

We found a great campsite on the way. Just before you get to the Y13E Forest Road that would take you to the river crossing there is a trail to the right. It had some pretty large mudholes getting into it right off the bat.

That was @Zheking taking the deep out coming back out.

When we get down a little ways we find a great campsite that is very secluded. We stopped for a while and opened up the Foxwing awning that I just installed to take some pics.
IMG_5778.JPG IMG_5777.JPG
The trail continued on for a little ways but has not been used in a long time and was blocked by many downed trees so we turned around and came back out.

We stopped again at the site and realized that this was not really a good time to attempt a water crossing. We have recently had a ton of rain in Arkansas and the water was pretty high and rolling right now.

But we made our way out and back to FR849. Just past this little trail turn off is the road that will take you to FR- Y13E. This is the little trail that will take you to the river crossing. You had better at this point have good tires and a winch if you want to make it past this point. Its nothing but mudhole after large mudhole all the way to the river. We stopped and inspected the place and then walked down to the river. We knew at this point that crossing the river would not be a good idea and would come back and attempt it at a later date.

I made the mistake of leaving my phone in the car and didn't get any photos of the area. But we will go back and I will update this post with some photos and videos of the river crossing when it is a little more easily accessible. The crossing here though is a rocky river crossing and the first time we saw it it was really nice and would take you across with no problem.

til then. BROfessor Out