Anyone us a Air Conditioner to keep cool?

• HTML tutorial

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

Here in the south, it is just too hot and muggy for my bride and me to Camp during the summer months. We started talking and I thought about buying a window unit and trying it out. I know we would probably just go to state parks with power but that beats not camping at all. What are your thoughts?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have some D cell battery powered fans that we use. They work great and last an entire night on low. I love having them for sleep. I think all you can really do is strip down, have good air flow and keep cool. Maybe put a cup of ice in front of the fan. For me it is about conserving energy (setting up camp slowly, or having kids pound tent stakes), staying in the shade and drinking alot. I just got done packing up the ARB fridge for tomorrow. We camp this weekend in mid 90 degree heat for the next two days.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have a friend who, before moving up to an actual camping trailer, used to bring a window unit and put it in the door of their 12 man tent.. Haha. We always gave her a hard time but at least her and her son were able to get out and camp during the summer down here. I sure as heck don't.. That's why we go to Colorado every summer. :p

Reactions: HeliSniper

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I bought and ac unit that is metal and looks like a window unit but it has two 4" duct hoses. I run it off a Honda 2000 generator. Drilled 2 hole in my rtt and used PVC pipe fittings for the inserts for the floor, the 6" straight piece with the 90 degree turn that are inside the tent are not glued in for collapsing the tent.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Purely my opinion here. But for me, AC has always been the differentiating factor between “inside” and “outside”. Granted I have high tolerance for heat and humidity. But I firmly believe more long term comfort is gained from embracing the heat instead of fighting it.

I realize most of what we do while overlanding involves some type of “comfort adding” to the outdoor experience. But I also feel like there’s a threshold of diminishing return, where we also start to lose some of the benefit of just being outdoors. Not hating on someone who chooses to prioritize ac, but this is my perspective on ac for camping and overlanding.

Added note: I live in San Antonio, TX. Grew up in Beaumont, TX, and spent most of my working life doing landscaping in Texas and Alabama. I used to HATE the heat. But over time I learned a few things.
-your body adapts and heat becomes much less uncomfortable
-you stop noticing and it stops bothering you.
-being sweaty becomes a new normal, and also stops being annoying.
-the only way you can achieve these things is to stop fighting the heat and just choose to enjoy things despite the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Purely my opinion here. But for me, AC has always been the differentiating factor between “inside” and “outside”. Granted I have high tolerance for heat and humidity. But I firmly believe more long term comfort is gained from embracing the heat instead of fighting it.

I realize most of what we do while overlanding involves some type of “comfort adding” to the outdoor experience. But I also feel like there’s a threshold of diminishing return, where we also start to lose some of the benefit of just being outdoors. Not hating on someone who chooses to prioritize ac, but this is my perspective on ac for camping and overlanding.

Added note: I live in San Antonio, TX. Grew up in Beaumont, TX, and spent most of my working life doing landscaping in Texas and Alabama. I used to HATE the heat. But over time I learned a few things.
-your body adapts and heat becomes much less uncomfortable
-you stop noticing and it stops bothering you.
-being sweaty becomes a new normal, and also stops being annoying.
-the only way you can achieve these things is to stop fighting the heat and just choose to enjoy things despite the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I embrace the by heat day, shower and embrace air conditioning at night when I sleep. After Iraq,Afghanistan,Panama,Fort Hood TX, Fort Erwin Ca(the dust bowl) and 23 other countries sleeping in field in a contractor trash bag and a poncho liner for warmth for my time in the Army. I still carry the little teddy bear that I kept in a zip lock bag that my daughter gave to me on my return to Iraq in 03 to keep me safe. Slept with it every night. US Cavalry Scout