Anyone in PNW with an Alu-Cab Khaya?

• HTML tutorial

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

Not sure if this is the best place for this to be posted, but going to put it here since it seems most appropriate to me.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a Khaya for our Tacoma, but we were hoping to see one in person before pulling the trigger on it.

We have already spoken to Mule Outfitters here in the Seattle area. They do not have in their show room currently. They are unsure when they will have one and we want to put an order in soon so we have it for a few trips later this year.

Is there anyone in the area that would be willing to show it to us? We live in Seattle and willing to travel to you so it is minimal hassle.

Feel free to reply here or reach out in PM.

Thanks!
Dan & Katie

Edit for better clarity.

Last edited:

Free-Roemer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ammon, ID, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Roemer
Member #

Not sure if this is the best place for this to be posted, but going to put it here since it seems most appropriate to me.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a Khaya for our Tacoma, but we were hoping to see one in person before pulling the trigger on it.

Is there anyone on the area that would be willing to show it to us? We live in Seattle and willing to travel to you so it is minimal hassle.

Feel free to reply here or reach out in PM.

Thanks!
Dan & Katie
I’m not 100%, but I think mule outfitters in issaquah just started selling alu-cab. So I’m sure their show room has some. You can call and ask first. But that’s where I’d start if I were you.

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

I have already talked to Mule and they do not have anything in the show room. I also talked to OK4wd but that requires flying to the east coast. I was hoping someone was closer here.

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jarrell
I honestly don’t think there are that many around. There are some serious distribution issues with Alu-Cab. We really like it but it took six months to get.

I’m in Phoenix and have it on a Ranger, if you have any questions I can try to answer them for you. Communication with Alu-Cab kinda sucks too. Ours came through OK4wd, pretty sure all Alu-Cab stuff in the US comes through them via New Jersey.

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

I actually have one now too on my Tacoma. OK4WD is the main distributor for Alu-Cab but they do have some dealers around. I know Mule here in Washington out of Issaquah sells Alu-Cab and Brent down in California in Sacramento also sells Alu-Cab.

I usually coordinate with Rin. Have you been going directly to Alu-Cab in South Africa for issues or Rin?

Is your heater and water heater working properly? I have a buddy active on EXPO portal that documented his build and stuff with the Khaya and he has the same problems. A group of Khaya owners are doing the Mojave Rd this week and he is testing out his fixes there. I wanted to go as well, but my wife has some surgery coming up and our heater is still not working. Let me know about any other experiences you have with your Khaya.

What did you do to your Ranger suspension since I bet the payload on it is similar to the Tacoma.

Reactions: life_w_vagabonds

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jarrell
How’d you get yours so quick? I didn’t order mine with any options other than the awning and the table, slowly doing the build out ourselves.

I’m on Expo too, but not that often anymore and I just rediscovered this forum. I’ll keep an eye out for other Khaya stuff, hadn’t found much so far. For instance, I’m installing my solar this weekend and was curious where others had decided to run the wiring.

There is a dealer in Phoenix who is soon to be going out of business. I was his first Khaya sale and he delt with Rin. I was told the hold up was the mounts for the Ranger, the bed is different on the Ranger is SA. I subsequently found a Ranger in CA with a Khaya and realized this excuse was less than honest.

I went with the Ranger because of payload capacity. I was previously a Toyota guy as well, I have no suspension mods. It has a 1600lb payload capacity and I decided to hold off until I got the camper to see how it sits. So far it’s handling fine, I expect some pre mature sag in the future though.

wordofbabb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Snohomish, WA, USA
Member #

I bought a demo unit that was fully loaded in California. I picked it up about a year ago. I have done several 2 week plus trips out of it with my wife and our doggos.

Yeah, I am pretty envious on the payload for the Rangers. I felt like I did all this research to find something that would really work for me and my wife and our dogs and now I just feel like we tried to cram too much into a smaller platform. I think an AEV Prospector XL with a FWC would have been a better option and less worry over payload, etc. We're just driving forest roads. Not trying to crawl over everything.

Post up a few pics of how it looks on the Ranger. I am curious to see. Here are a few from my trips.

Attachments

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jarrell
Yeah we debated on the size quite a bit, even considered the smallest Sprinter. Which I would have instantly regretted as soon as I got on a trail. We live in the city and our driveway is a bit short, the Ranger barely fits. We camped out of a Chaser with an Eezi-Awn previously so this feels pretty roomy to us.

Trying to keep it light with the interior as flexible as possible. My daughter is a MTB racer and her bike just fits inside and she has room to change in there too.

I don’t have many good pics yet but the wife started an instagram. We’d like to catch up with other Khaya people, are you going to Expo?