Anyone have experience with Bluetooth adapter for Baofeng handheld radios?

• HTML tutorial

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Just wondering if anyone has experience with something like this that actually works well.

I'm trying to find a good solution for use with some of my cycling friends who use the Baofeng radios on road rides. We can sometimes be separated by half a mile or more and having radio communication is incredibly convenient. Having to take a hand off the bars to find the PTT on the earpiece wired to my radio is not.

Would love to hear any other recommendations of similar products.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Just wondering if anyone has experience with something like this that actually works well.

I'm trying to find a good solution for use with some of my cycling friends who use the Baofeng radios on road rides. We can sometimes be separated by half a mile or more and having radio communication is incredibly convenient. Having to take a hand off the bars to find the PTT on the earpiece wired to my radio is not.

Would love to hear any other recommendations of similar products.
No that specific one. Mine was with a SENA SR10 in a motorcycle application. Worked well, could make contacts at 80+ MPH and people had no idea I was on a motorcycle.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Well, I already have a wired headset with a PTT that is inline with the headset wire. I'm looking for a solution that lets me have a wireless earpiece and a PTT button on my handlebars.
Yeah sorry I meant to add more context. I know you said bluetooth. My original suggestion was because the PTT is not inline with the ear piece so it can me mounted on the handlebars and may be less problematic than bluetooth.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Yeah sorry I meant to add more context. I know you said bluetooth. My original suggestion was because the PTT is not inline with the ear piece so it can me mounted on the handlebars and may be less problematic than bluetooth.
For a motorcycle I could see how that would work out, but on the bicycle I think wireless becomes even more important. Our radios we drop in our jersey back pockets and route the wire up our backs to our earpieces. With the radios in this position it'd mean a wire going from our back pocket to the PTT button on the handlebars and that starts to sound like a recipe for some embarrassing dismounts.

Reactions: Prerunner1982