Rank II

Enthusiast I

Mt Juliet, TN
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Zimmermann
Member #

Does anybody use a Retrax Pro XR? Just came across it and am interested. I have never come across one in "the wild" and was wondering what the build quality was like. The ability to put a rack on the bed of my truck for a RTT and Awning while still being able to have a lockable mostly waterproof cover that I can fold away when needed intrigues me.

TacoStar

Rank II

Contributor III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Horarik
Member #

So is it safe to say that nobody run the retrax? I have the exact same question. I love the look and function of it but question how it would hold up in an OffRoad environment. I know the landing pads are mostly plastic.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I didn't even know what it is so I googled.

Seems to be quite a few vehicle specific conversations on other forums, I'm personally not a fan of tonneau covers in general but can see where they could work for other folks.

In general that looks like a nice product and a casual review doesn't make me make faces so there's that. Mostly I'm just bumping your thread so it isn't laying there on the side of the road

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

I have one on my Ram fullsize that I use in conjunction with a Yakima Overhaul HD rack. The Retrax has excellent quality and it's worked flawlessly for the 2 years I've had it. My only complaint has to do with losing some bed space at the front of your bed because of the "box" the covers rolls into.

TacoStar, not sure what the plastic landing pads refer to though?

Reactions: TacoStar

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
I have the Ford retractable bed cover on my Ranger - the OEM is Retrax. This one is the aluminum; they make a polycarbonate version that is a bit less.

So far I am very happy with it, and have a Yakima Overhaul HD mounted above. The overall quality and finish are excellent. It is supposed to be able to hold 500 lbs (dispersed) - before buying the truck I did climb on top to make sure it held my weight (~215). Not sure I would put that much in any one spot while underway. It is really fast and easy to open and close (so far) and I love the ability to access pretty much the entire bed quickly. And I have significant peace of mind when leaving valuable bits inside compared to any other cover/topper I've used before.

There are a few "nits" if I am being picky....the stock drain tubes coming out of the bottom of the "house" for the retracted top keep getting knocked out when I am less than careful about throwing things into the back of the truck. I have purchased elbow fittings to help route the hoses a bit better. The cover for the lock looks like durable rubber, and it slots down around the lock, but I am concerned that it will dry and shrink over time. The Ford version only has one locking position (fully closed). I think the regular Retrax has the ability to lock pretty much anywhere along the run. I may drill a few additional holes (fully open, open 2", etc.).

It weighs in at around 65lbs, which is a bit heavier than the tri-fold I had on an earlier truck. It takes up about 3/4" from each side of the bed, about 12" from the front of the bed, and the house sticks down about 10" from the top (at least on my truck with a 6'1" bed length).

Let me know if you want any other pics or measurements.

Attachments

Reactions: TacoStar

TacoStar

Rank II

Contributor III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Horarik
Member #

I was just bringing up the standard yakima landing pads that connect the rails to crossbars I believe is plastic. I didn't know if the strain from offroading would have a negative impact on their integrity or lifespan.

I'm comparing the Retrax to a Billiebars setup. Both have strength and weakness.

The only thing holding me back from retrax is the loss of bed space and a real world experience for how they will hold up.

Holding me back from the Billiebars is it's will have to be an extensive custom install due to my truck (colorado) and the molle panels I have inside the bed (Valhalla). And my current soft top roll up isn't as secure as the Retrax.

Thanks for the reviews, I think I'm gonna go with a retrax. Looks fantastic and would really like the security it provides.

Last edited:

TacoStar

Rank II

Contributor III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Horarik
Member #

I was thinking the front runner wolfpacks would fit perfectly down there but gosh they get you on shipping with those. Wish I had a local store in MN.

Firewood sound like a good idea, was thinking it would need to be something you don't need to grab often or quickly as it would probably get burried pretty quickly with other gear.

PS. I don't think I'm going with the pro version, I like the look but its more than I really need.

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

I have the Pro series with aluminum top so my above posts have been in reference to the one I own. I'm sure the polycarbonate top will be issue free as well. My only concern with poly would be possible UV ray damage but that would take years before it became an issue.

My biggest issue with the cover was it wouldn't allow me to use my below the rail chest style toolbox in the proper side to side orientation. I now have it running front to back up against the right wheel well. Definitely no sheets of plywood going into my truck bed. You also can't do a Decked Drawer System if thats something you've considered for the future.

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

I have the Ford retractable bed cover on my Ranger - the OEM is Retrax. This one is the aluminum; they make a polycarbonate version that is a bit less.

So far I am very happy with it, and have a Yakima Overhaul HD mounted above. The overall quality and finish are excellent. It is supposed to be able to hold 500 lbs (dispersed) - before buying the truck I did climb on top to make sure it held my weight (~215). Not sure I would put that much in any one spot while underway. It is really fast and easy to open and close (so far) and I love the ability to access pretty much the entire bed quickly. And I have significant peace of mind when leaving valuable bits inside compared to any other cover/topper I've used before.

There are a few "nits" if I am being picky....the stock drain tubes coming out of the bottom of the "house" for the retracted top keep getting knocked out when I am less than careful about throwing things into the back of the truck. I have purchased elbow fittings to help route the hoses a bit better. The cover for the lock looks like durable rubber, and it slots down around the lock, but I am concerned that it will dry and shrink over time. The Ford version only has one locking position (fully closed). I think the regular Retrax has the ability to lock pretty much anywhere along the run. I may drill a few additional holes (fully open, open 2", etc.).

It weighs in at around 65lbs, which is a bit heavier than the tri-fold I had on an earlier truck. It takes up about 3/4" from each side of the bed, about 12" from the front of the bed, and the house sticks down about 10" from the top (at least on my truck with a 6'1" bed length).

Let me know if you want any other pics or measurements.
I was looking at your pictures and the lock looks the same as mine. Double check your lock, I'm pretty sure the mechanism is adjustable and it may just need a little tweak so it locks anywhere along the rail.

Reactions: ProtonDecay

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

Just double checked my lock. I have an adjustable set screw that will “hold” the cover in any spot along the track. It’s not as secure as when it’s full closed and locked though.
05CCA081-3D6A-4639-93C2-D58C072690F8.jpegE6EA6DBE-4077-4799-A750-BD8D0D40E33E.jpegD8EA6C07-2183-4992-8A8D-8D4BD94626EC.jpeg

DenCoColorado

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I have the RetraxOne XR (poly version) on my Ram Rebel and really like it. Excellent fit, finish, and function. As stated, the one major downside is you lose some of your bed space for the canister. I ordered an UpTop truss AFS retrax bed rack that is compatible with the retrax t-slot rails an am nearing the end of my 8-10 week lead time. Excited to have it for the summer.

Respondous

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Overlanding
Does anybody use a Retrax Pro XR? Just came across it and am interested. I have never come across one in "the wild" and was wondering what the build quality was like. The ability to put a rack on the bed of my truck for a RTT and Awning while still being able to have a lockable mostly waterproof cover that I can fold away when needed intrigues me.
I own the Retrax Pro with Yakima Overhaul HD. I wish I didn’t bother. Should have gone with the leitner design with drawer system.

overhaul HD is supposed to handle 300lbs off road and 500lbs on road; however, mounted on retrax it is now 180 off and 300 on road... Things add up quick on weight.

CVTMt Hood dbl channel RTT: 216lbs
Shower awning = 25lbs
Short bed bars 9.46lbs
2 2gal RotopGas 3lbs
Rotopax Adapters 2lbs
= 285.5lbs

Roadshower 7g 77lbs (25lbs empty)
Yakima Recovey track Adapter 3.2lbs
Recovery Track = 15.5lbs
= 95.7lbs

Total weight = 383lbs

If you are planing to do this same setup, go with leitner designs and forget yakima/retrax or buy a trailer to tow and place tent on that.

if you still want this setup, I will even sell mine. Retrax pro, overhaul HD 68” with cross bars, eye bolts, and other attachments.

Attachments

Reactions: Kurt Z and K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Had it on my old truck and loved it. Ran yakima HD bars, with yhe mid towers, 75" cross bars, smittybuilt RTT and rotopax water/gas cans. My favorite part of it was being able to walk on it setting up and tearing down the tent. I foudn that when i first had installed the cover with the bars that it wasnt tightened up enough and there was a small amount of play, i cod hear it squeek when driving. once I tightened up that went away.

Respondous

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Overlanding
I should also mention.

i have had 0 issues with the retrax cover. It rolls easily. Lock works great. No water leaks into bed other than at the tailgate but because I didnt add a seal there. It took a minute to figure out how to install it but wasn’t difficult. I used silicon at the hose lines to keep them from falling out. Sucks to lose 1ft of bed space but nice to keep stuff dry and safe.

Reactions: K12

Respondous

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Overlanding
Had it on my old truck and loved it. Ran yakima HD bars, with yhe mid towers, 75" cross bars, smittybuilt RTT and rotopax water/gas cans. My favorite part of it was being able to walk on it setting up and tearing down the tent. I foudn that when i first had installed the cover with the bars that it wasnt tightened up enough and there was a small amount of play, i cod hear it squeek when driving. once I tightened up that went away.
What was your total weight on it? The recommended weight limit with retrax/yakima setup is 180lbs off road and 300lbs on road.

Reactions: K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
What was your total weight on it? The recommended weight limit with retrax/yakima setup is 180lbs off road and 300lbs on road.
I definitely pushed it, I was just over 200.

but thats with 8gallons of gas and 8 gallons of water on the side bars.

Reactions: Respondous

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I definitely pushed it, I was just over 200.
Did you notice any issues? I am about to push 240lbs on mine. Hvnt done it yet but I am scared to try lol. I have the retrax pro and overhaul HD’s 68”
On top I only had the tent, and the deck (deck was only attached after I setup camp). The side bars is where i had gas and water. about 40lbs (8 gal) gas side and 32lb (8gal) water side. I never noticed any issues on or off road.

Reactions: Respondous