Any radio wave propagation gurus on hand?

• HTML tutorial

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Got a question about antenna ground planes.

We are adding a fiberglass high top to a van. We will also have a rack that mounts to the drip rails. When they cut out the steel roof for the high top, we are leaving about two feet of the original roof intact in front (over the driver/passenger seats) and about the same amount at the rear (by the back doors).

If I mount antennas to the rack in the front or back (where the original roof is still in place), will the antennas get a ground plane effect from the original steel roof, through the fiberglass top?

I've probably butchered this question, but hopefully someone can make sense of what I'm getting at.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

We are adding a fiberglass high top to a van. We will also have a rack that mounts to the drip rails. When they cut out the steel roof for the high top, we are leaving about two feet of the original roof intact in front (over the driver/passenger seats) and about the same amount at the rear (by the back doors).

If I mount antennas to the rack in the front or back (where the original roof is still in place), will the antennas get a ground plane effect from the original steel roof, through the fiberglass top?

I've probably butchered this question, but hopefully someone can make sense of what I'm getting at.
Bond the roof rack to the rails using braided ground strap on all for corners of the rack, Mount the antenna to the rack, and you should be fine.

Reactions: Trad77

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Thanks! I was thinking it worked like that, but I really don't understand the theory.

Reactions: M Rose

Trad77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lander, WY, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Hoard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0MUD

Bond the roof rack to the rails using braided ground strap on all for corners of the rack, Mount the antenna to the rack, and you should be fine.
Yes! I 2nd this answer. Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Reactions: M Rose