Any Ideas for San Juans (Del Norte, Alamosa, Pagosa Springs Areas)

• HTML tutorial

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
We are taking a trip from our home in Kansas over to the Pagosa Springs, CO area and will be traveling through Alamosa and Del Norte on our way. We will be mostly highway upto Del Norte, at that point we will be taking about 45 miles of FS roads to Pagosa Springs. I've got several things to checkout, along the way, marked in my GAIA but if there is anyone familiar with the region and has any must-sees; I would appreciate any advice!

Right now I've got a few waterfalls and lookouts marked as well as a few lakes and streams to check for hungry fish on my list. Also hoping to be able to check out Castle Rock and we are going to hike to a primitive hotspring within the NF system. Will be running my Ram and bringing my TJ as well for my friends to ride in. All stock suspension, 32" tire on the TJ and a 34" tire on my Ram. Thank you!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

I'd definitely make a trip up to Creed as well. There's a nice little 20-ish mile above down that passes by several mines. Try google the "Rio Grande Backcountry Discovery Trail", goes from the CO-NM border over to the alpine loop. Shouldn't be nearly as much trail traffic as the Alpine Loop, but still some fantastic places to explore!

Reactions: MidwestVoyager