William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
I am going to the NE Overland Rally at the beginning of OCtober, and will be looking to do some free camping down in the SE MA (Freetown area) or possibly down near the Thompson Motor Speedway in CT? My gf and I have a couple days off before the event, and are looking to camp out in the area before attending for the weekend. Thanks!

bunger

Local Expert New England, USA
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southington CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Mayo
Member #

I am going to the NE Overland Rally at the beginning of OCtober, and will be looking to do some free camping down in the SE MA (Freetown area) or possibly down near the Thompson Motor Speedway in CT? My gf and I have a couple days off before the event, and are looking to camp out in the area before attending for the weekend. Thanks!
Unfortunately there is nothing in lower New England for dispersed camping, especially in the areas that you mentioned. There are some primitive camping spots in northwestern mass in the Berkshires but they are in state forests and typically charge approx. $17 per night for camping. Savoy Mountain State Forest is just below the VT state line.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

There is some camping on Cape Cod National Seashore / Race Point Beach but there are a lot of hoops to jump through. I noticed a while back someone else giving a lot of info about that (maybe on another forum?) But as I understand it, you first need an offroad inspection and sticker to drive on the beaches, then you have to have all your waters self contained. It's on the NPS website

But that might be kind of far