Antangil’s Ultimate Ultramarathon Crew Vehicle

• HTML tutorial

antangil

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntsville, Alabama
Member #

Hey, everyone! I’m building an overland rig with a very particular task in mind - ultra-marathon support. Here’s how it works.

First, my wife and I drive to some out of the way place (Talledega, Uwharrie, etc.) and spend a night or two there before the race. Day of the race, you’ve got to be up and ready to drive by about 6AM. Here’s an example of a shorter race - 50 miles along the Pinhoti Trail in Talledega NF.

My wife then starts running, usually between 50 and 100 miles in total (yes this is insane). My job is to meet her along the route, usually driving gravel/dirt/forest roads to get there, then quickly set up shelter, a camp kitchen, some chairs, and a first aid station. She shows up, gets food and aid, then runs off. I pack back up and drive to the next spot, maybe 8 times over a 30 hour period. At the end of the race, I need to provide a hot shower, cold beer, and a comfy bed, then we head home.

Sometimes she has “pacers”, friends who run portions of the race with her; I need to be able to carry four for short distances, but only need to sleep two.

We’ve been doing this out of a Subaru WRX, which has been challenging-to-impossible; it’s time for a major upgrade.

Enter Yurtle, our new 2017 Tacoma OR. Currently bone stock, but not for long. In June, we’re making a pilgrimage to OK4WD in New Jersey from our home base in Huntsville, AL. They’ll be doing a few things:

[*] OME BP51 Full suspension upgrade.
[*] Firestone airbags with Daystar cups
[*] On-Board Air (TBD)
[*] Rock Sliders (TBD)... mostly for use as steps.

... all to set Yurtle up for the main attraction - a Khaya Prime camper with all the trimmings.
[*] Electrical setup with 100W solar panels
[*] Hot water heater and shower setup.
[*] Diesel Webasto heater
[*] Alu-Cab Shadow Awning
[*] Internal and External Kitchen
[*] Rear tire carrier and Jerry can holder
[*] 60L National Luna fridge

So now I’ll have the undisputed best crew vehicle on the circuit, and it also opens up a whole new world of overland camping that we’re really looking forward to.

I’ll also be upgrading the not-awesome head unit and putting in a Weboost cell phone booster as my first comms improvement. We’ve also got some GoTenna Mesh units so that we can keep in touch where the towers don’t reach. Thinking about getting a CB license, but I’m not sure I’ve got a use case just yet.

Engine mods will be limited to an OVtuned unit, and maybe a 4.88 regear.

Let me know if you’ve got any other thoughts or suggestions. We’ll also be using this thread to post race reports from a crew perspective; lots of pictures of smelly runners and wiped out crew. [emoji1]

Final pic - here’s my wife and I after she finished her first 100. Insane, yeah, but I’m super-proud. Post-run beers clearly in evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: mtn_nic and Stoked