kaitlyn2004

Rank I

Contributor II

Vancouver
First Name
Kaitlyn
Last Name
M
I made a drawer of sorts out of 1/2” plywood. Any suggestions on what to use as an anchor? I was originally thinking something like u bolts but not seeing anything short enough. Other basic anchors I’m seeing, I am not sure if screwing into 1/2” ply would provide enough holding strength? If going completely through, I also definitely want to minimize how much protrusion there is on the inside to avoid snagging anything

also - is there any meaningful difference in the placement of the anchor point? Bottom of the side? Top of the side? On the top plate?

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Is your goal to use the factory tie down loops to hold down the drawer? If so I did something similar, but unfortunately I can't find a good photo. This one shows the turnbuckle but not how it attaches to the box.

For mine I used d-rings similar to these. Please note these rattle if they are not held under tension.

They are mounted to the box using t-nuts similar to these. I think I used some threadlock on the bolts, and I've had no issues over years and thousands of miles.

Location of the anchor point is a good question. Realistically, whatever you use to connect the d-ring to the tie down (turnbuckle, strap, etc) is going to require some height, which leads to mounting the d-ring higher up on the box. I think this is a good thing since the direction of pull is mostly "down" and imparts less of a side load on the box.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Is your goal to use the factory tie down loops to hold down the drawer? If so I did something similar, but unfortunately I can't find a good photo. This one shows the turnbuckle but not how it attaches to the box.

For mine I used d-rings similar to these. Please note these rattle if they are not held under tension.

They are mounted to the box using t-nuts similar to these. I think I used some threadlock on the bolts, and I've had no issues over years and thousands of miles.

Location of the anchor point is a good question. Realistically, whatever you use to connect the d-ring to the tie down (turnbuckle, strap, etc) is going to require some height, which leads to mounting the d-ring higher up on the box. I think this is a good thing since the direction of pull is mostly "down" and imparts less of a side load on the box.
That's what I'm talking about

cinnamonroll

Rank I

Contributor II

charliewilliams1990
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Williams

Nicely done.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I made a drawer of sorts out of 1/2” plywood. Any suggestions on what to use as an anchor? I was originally thinking something like u bolts but not seeing anything short enough. Other basic anchors I’m seeing, I am not sure if screwing into 1/2” ply would provide enough holding strength? If going completely through, I also definitely want to minimize how much protrusion there is on the inside to avoid snagging anything

also - is there any meaningful difference in the placement of the anchor point? Bottom of the side? Top of the side? On the top plate?
Hi. There are many ways to secure them. I instead removed the bolts from the tie down rings, found longer ones and secured a board by fixing it directly to the car using the same bolt location. Then I screwed the drawer directly on the fixed board. I am very happy with this solution.

Attachments

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
Use button/mushroom head bolts and go right thru the plywood with either plates or washers to spread the load, i would mount them as high as possible and use turnbuckles or similar or straight thru the bottom if there is a suitable anchor point.