An idea I had awhile ago.. Possibly would be an interesting outing?

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The year is 2020, the whole world has been infected with a highly infectious and deadly disease. Lebanon, Kansas is supposed to be free of infection, and the source of a not so known antibody. Any one able to make it before October 1st, 2020 will be immune or cured of the deadly virus. Those that miss the deadline will surely die from either infection or social starvation.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
hmm is this also going to be a movie story line?
Sure... kind of like a Blair Witch Project meets Resident Evil, driving mad max cars... but let’s do this OB style and even late model cars can be included... they just have to be set up for stereotypical Overlanding and all asphalt roads are lined with rioters major cities are known for being lawless and harmful to travelers.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Sure... kind of like a Blair Witch Project meets Resident Evil, driving mad max cars... but let’s do this OB style and even late model cars can be included... they just have to be set up for stereotypical Overlanding and all asphalt roads are lined with rioters major cities are known for being lawless and harmful to travelers.
I'm in...LOL

• Love
Reactions: jim lee and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hahah! It's fine however this ends up. But I'd like it known that I was the originator of the idea when it all becomes famous.

-jim lee
Ohh definitely... I was playing the storyline... and picked the geographical center of the United States

Reactions: jim lee

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I was thinking you could have penalty points. So people could fudge the rules a little. IE running a car with electronic ignition, 1 point. Electronic fuel injection, 1 point. Fudging a dice throw for foraging, points=number of dice needed . Things like that.

-jim lee

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hmm I like the points thing... I am thinking a long the same lines have a penalty for taking a paved road. so big question.. @jim lee , you posted this in the Northwest section... do you have an idea for a place in the northwest that we have to make it to?
Let’s pick a location and a date and set up an RP... if this goes over good, maybe we can get it to catch on in all the US Regions, and the. Winners then have to go to Kansas using what little supplies they may have left from foraging through their regions.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Very fun idea. I think a "penalty" system would be necessary tbh. In general we think of old beat-up junkers from yesteryear as a dime a dozen. But in reality, it takes a significant investment to acquire and maintain those older vehicles these days. It would limit the fun to a small subset of members.

As for the run, I'm very intrigued. It seems it would almost run similar to a scavenger hunt except each player fills in the map. Would definitely add some spice to otherwise mundane travel time.

I think the penalty could work similarly to a "handicap". Everyone starts at zero but you get to subtract points right off the bat for each "item" you are without. Basically saying that the closer to the Mad Max Ideal you are, the more of an advantage you get on the trip.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

I like this, but I don't have an old vehicle nor can I afford to buy one right now.
Well, the point system we were talking about earlier on the thread would take care of that. New vehicle? Just add a couple penalty points to your score.

-jim lee