Houston
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Quinto
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Recently I purchased and tried out the ammo can firepit called - The Pit by Bustabeatgeorge.

First off this is not a hit against Bustabeatgeorge. I personally think he's a cool dude and has good information about Tacos and overlanding. This is just an After Action Report of my use of the firepit.

OK

I used the firepit last weekend to fight off a cold Texas night along the Llano River near Mason TX. The product worked great and as advertised.

However, I found that the can itself became so hot that it actually started to melt the hose connecting to the propane tank. It appears that the heat transfers from the can to the brass hose fittings. At the junction of the connectors to the hose - The hose then softens and melts slightly. I did not encounter a catastrophic failure, but the hose fell loose from its connector when we tried to put it away after it cooled after use.

I plan to repair the problem, but I just wanted to let people know. Be cautious and test out any new gear you pick up.

~ Q

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I had a LavaBox and noticed what might be a similar type behavior. However, the high smoke level and burner configuration prompted me to return it. So, I don’t think I used it long enough to test that connection.

Reactions: genocache