Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We are often on the trail, traveling to a good camping spot. In the past, we would start cooking, after we arrived, once camp was set up. This often leads to hungry travelers. We purchased the book Manifold Destiny (by Chis Maynard and Bill Scheller). This books started us down the path, of using the wasted heat generated by our engine to do double duty. Provide locomotion: and cook our hot Lunches and Dinner.
51rGWNJurXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
This process takes a little bit of planning. My wife and I plan out and prepare our meals in advance of each day’s travels. Aluminum Foil has become our best friend. She has become very good at judging when the potatoes are perfectly baked, or the chicken is fully cooked. I’m not as talented as she is. I’m looking for a wireless food thermometer to help guide me.

Alternatively, for baking in camp, we have looked at the Camp Chef oven/burner. The weight and consumption of fuel, lead us in a different direction. We have been using the GoSun Sport Pro Pack Solar Stove. This allows us to use the sun to cook many of our meals in camp. The GoSun web site has lots of good recipes https://www.gosunstove.com/blogs/recipes
feature2.jpg
These two methods of cooking, have allowed us to enjoy many wonderful meals while out exploring. I know they are both a little out of the normal, but that’s one of the things we love about this thing we do. Constant exploring. For us, that included new ways to prepare our meals.

If you have used these methods for cooking, let me know? Its always great to learn from other innovators. If you plan on giving this a try, hit the like. Good to know if this information is useful. If I see interest, via a few likes, I will add some recipes.

Reactions: britz and ASNOBODY

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I like using one of our solar cookers at base camp, we use them often at the cabin so it's just business as usual at camp. I was looking at one of those road pro cookers, especially as the chill will start coming on in about a month up here in the mountains. I'll have to put everything in a turkey bag and secure the cooker with all the bouncing around but no biggie. I've done the manifold cooking, but right now with the dust caked in my engine from the Marguder run and our forest roads in general, we would have been eating decomposed granite burritos. I need to keep the edibles inside the cab right now.

Attachments

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Whilst working in constrution. Met some old guys. Who built the roads Long gone but they used to cook their break fast on the tarmac plant and under the burners. Their skill was amazing From breakfast to. Dinners eggs bacon rabbit stews Jacket spuds. The lot. Health and safety now would not allow it but we had some great meals out in the wilds on the road side Happy days