Launch Member

Member III

Destin, FL, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
T
Member #

Hello! I'm looking for some "boots on the ground" information....

I'm in a stock 4Runner TRD Pro with light armor (Sliders and Low-Pro Front Bumper); no aftermarket lift. Does this route for the Alpine Pass look good for my vehicle? Thanks for your help!

Additional question: Do you think my 4runner can handle Imogene Pass as well? I have common sense but I am not an overly experienced offroad driver. Thanks all for your help!

Alpine Loop 2021 Trip.jpg

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello, Destin! Spent many summers around there and PCB growing up!

You'll do fine. I do that in my mostly stock full size Chevy. When are you thinking of heading out? What do you plan for camping / lodging?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Oh, and Imogene did have a few rough spots last year. Just take it slow and easy. Use low range and first gear when descending hills as necessary.

We've got a trip planned in August if you'd like to join.

Reactions: Boort

The_Endless_Search

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Destin, FL, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
T
Member #

Thanks for the info Neal! I'm staying in an AirBnB but it will mainly be a place to shower and store gear that we don't need. I'll be around the area for 3 days then headed to UT for hiking Zion and Bryce. What time in August are you thinking?

EDIT: I've grown up in Destin my whole life. Can't escape from it even though I've tried (trying to keep the family as close as possible). While I'd rather live in the UT and CO areas FL is a great place to live :)

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks for the info Neal! I'm staying in an AirBnB but it will mainly be a place to shower and store gear that we don't need. I'll be around the area for 3 days then headed to UT for hiking Zion and Bryce. What time in August are you thinking?

EDIT: I've grown up in Destin my whole life. Can't escape from it even though I've tried (trying to keep the family as close as possible). While I'd rather live in the UT and CO areas FL is a great place to live :)
I was mistaken about August. It is September:

Folks often put together additional trips there. If you're alone and want some company, there's a good chance we could help you out.

I asked about your lodging because if you were camping along the route I was going to make some suggestions.

Is your BnB around Ouray?

BTW, if you're not up for Black Bear, a popular loop to combine with Imogene is Ophir Pass. If you want something a little different to do while around Telluride check out the free Gondola ride up to the Mountain Village.

It's been several years since I drove through PCB and Destin. Even then I hardly recognized the place. I remember when there were miles and miles of open beach and you could just pull off the highway and have it to yourself.

Reactions: Boort

The_Endless_Search

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Destin, FL, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
T
Member #

I was mistaken about August. It is September:

Folks often put together additional trips there. If you're alone and want some company, there's a good chance we could help you out.

I asked about your lodging because if you were camping along the route I was going to make some suggestions.

Is your BnB around Ouray?

BTW, if you're not up for Black Bear, a popular loop to combine with Imogene is Ophir Pass. If you want something a little different to do while around Telluride check out the free Gondola ride up to the Mountain Village.

It's been several years since I drove through PCB and Destin. Even then I hardly recognized the place. I remember when there were miles and miles of open beach and you could just pull off the highway and have it to yourself.
Oh yeah! I'll take any suggestions for campsites you have! The AirBnB is just more of a "plan B" if we can't get good spots, kids get sick, etc. I'll check out Imogene and Ophir Pass too.

Destin has blown up and PCB isn't the party town it used too be (which is fantastic). It's good and bad, there's more places to eat but the condo's, traffic, etc has gotten insane.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
When I'm base camping, I tend to default to the Ironton Park area. It's convenient to Ouray, Silverton, Ophir, Imogene, Corkscrew / Hurricane / California. It's not all that convenient to Engineer and Cinnamon, however. There are several dispersed spots in the woods, but also bigger open areas closer to the highway where you'll see more RVs. We had a moose and calf come through camp twice there last year.

Another option would be to come into the area via Creede and jump onto the Stony Pass trail. There are lots of great campsites east of the pass. You should be able to find something pretty quickly if it were late in the day. IMO, this trail is underrated and one of my favorites. It is longer than most and quite bumpy (hence the name), but not hard. It drops you out on CR2 between Silverton and the Animas Forks Ghost Town. In hindsight, with just 3 days you may not have enough time to do this along with the others.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Oh, and Imogene did have a few rough spots last year. Just take it slow and easy. Use low range and first gear when descending hills as necessary.

What part of August are you planning on going? We will be in the area week of the 23rd it looks like and were thinking of doing Imogene, Ophir and maybe some others. I would love Black Bear as well but don't have a lot of mountain trail time so hesitant about doing that one right out of the box. Maybe overthinking but sounds like some challenging sections that may be better served with some experience.

Engineer Pass looks interesting too but a bit more difficult than Imogene and Ophir.

BTW vehicle will be a JKU with 3.5 inch lift and 35s so not worried about vehicle, just my skills!

Thanks

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

What part of August are you planning on going? We will be in the area week of the 23rd it looks like and were thinking of doing Imogene, Ophir and maybe some others. I would love Black Bear as well but don't have a lot of mountain trail time so hesitant about doing that one right out of the box. Maybe overthinking but sounds like some challenging sections that may be better served with some experience.

Engineer Pass looks interesting too but a bit more difficult than Imogene and Ophir.

BTW vehicle will be a JKU with 3.5 inch lift and 35s so not worried about vehicle, just my skills!

Thanks
The main portion of Engineer is usually pretty easy, just high elevation. It's the Mineral Creek portion that can be tougher.