Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Over the last 20 years I have been told that I have perfected the art of Home Made Italian Gravy, and at one time I was almost convinced to walk away from the 9 to 5 and hit the road in a Food Truck.

Let me share one of my favorite recipes.

As the title says - this Ain't my Momma's Gravy

1st - Lets jump into our rigs and head off to Trader Joe's
On the shopping list:
(2 to 4 cans)
Canned Crushed Tomatoes
Canned Tomato Sauce
Canned Tomato Paste, or I like to use the Tomato paste that comes in a tube

Two Bell Peppers
One pack of Italian Mushrooms
One pack of Portobello Mushrooms
Fresh Garlic or Garlic Paste
TJ's Sun-dried Tomatoes

Butter
Salt, Pepper, Sugar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

One pack of Sweet Italian Sausages
One pack of Hot Italian Sausages

Fresh Parmesan-reggiano cheese
Fresh Asiago cheese

Depending on if you plan on cooking for the group on the trail 1 to 4 Baguette's

Now here's where I pivot from my kitchen to the campsite, and lets pretend that we don't have an oven at our disposal.

I need to start by grilling the sausages to a nice char, pricking them with a knife or fork - cook time (depending on the heat)10 to 15 minutes
Once they are cooked midway, I like to dice them up and put them aside

Next - lets break out my Trusted Cast Iron Dutch Oven by Lodge

I will now add about 1/3 cup of olive oil
Add the Trader Joe's Sun-dried Toms - and add the oil that comes in the Jar
Lets add the garlic, Bell Peppers and Mushrooms, 1/4 of a stick of butter

I will now sauté the above for a few minutes, before adding the Canned Toms, Canned Sauce, and Paste. I will now bring this to a slight boil before the sauce starts to erupt. I will have to lower the camp fire flames, and now add my sliced Italian sausages, salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
Since we opted to go "ALL IN" on the fresh cheese we will slice the blocks of cheese into the gravy every hour for the next 4 to 5 hours. The total cook time should run around 10 to 12 hours, stirring the sauce, adding more cheese, and skimming off the access oil every hour. Since we left the comfort of home sweet home for the trail the gravy can be served with a baguette.
If you are worried about the cooking time for the sausage we grilled them to a nice char and added them to the gravy/sauce with a total cook time of over 10 hours.. so we should be fine. Now we can also subsitute the Italian sausages for some U10's / Jumbo Shrimp.
The final results should look something like this -

Warning:
Will cause you to want more, if you are on a diet leave the campsite now. Or go on a short hike before and after you sit down to eat.

Attachments

Reactions: grubworm

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

This sounds awesome, but I think I need to make it at home and bring it along in a jar. I don’t see my better half waiting 10-12 hours for dinner
Right, I would be the one showing up at the camp site a day early just to prepare it. Lol
Thanks by the way, and Happy holidays