Affordable tablet for maps w/SIM card slot?

• HTML tutorial

irish44j

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fairfax County, VA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Hickey
I know there are some "toughbook" style tablets (SxS and stuf like that) built for the hardcore overlanders, but I'm looking for something just for our weekend trail runs on the rare occasion my buddy isn't there with all his mapping gear to lead the group. Since I won't use it much don't really want to spend big dollars on it, so just looking for one that
- will accept a Data SIM card (since I get them for free from Google Fi)
- has good enough screen to be seen ok in sunny or sunny/woodland conditions
- maybe around 10" size, give or take
- is cheap/affordable and performs ok.
- preference is Android, not Apple.
- for the purposes of this thread, talk about NEW (though I may just buy a used one in the end).
- no need for movies, gaming, or anything like that.

I was looking at the Dragon Touch tablets, but can't figure out if they have the SiM slot (so probably not). But any recommendations to check out?

Or, do I really need a SIM card, or just get a GPS dongle or something?

Electronics aren't really my strong suit, so talk to me like I'm your grandfather lol....

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have been pretty happy with a Samsung A7 Lite. It only has 32gb of internal storage, but will accept SD cards. My only complaint about the tablet is it's startup speed, but once it has booted up I can run 2-3 navigation apps concurrently. I only use the tablet for mapping apps and Earthmate for my old InReach. It flawlessly recorded 6,000 miles of GPX tracks on my last trip with the internal GPS. It's about the "perfect" size.

1717083660979.png
1717083615771.png

I bought this thing new from Samsung for just over $100 and it has been worth every penny. Even though it is now an older tablet it still receives updates. It looks like you can pick one up that has been renewed for around the $100 point today.

I'd prefer to buy a tablet from a popular brand vs one of the generic brands so that you get some continued support into the future.