Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

KYOverlandingPatriot

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kentucky
Member #

So I have had my 07 Jk since 2009 and I have it built to suite my needs pretty dead on besides space and power. I am trying to decide which would be a better option. Sell the jeep and by a tacoma and build it out. Or do a engine swap with either an LS or the R2.8 diesel into the jeep and build a trailer? Any thoughts on the subject would be great!

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Is your JK a 2 door or 4 door?

*nevermind i just saw your sig pic...

How about a 4runner? Basically a bigger jeep, bit more power, bit more room. Seems like building/overlanding a truck is a totally different animal unless you get a topper, then you may just as well have a 4runner... you basically have a mini SUV body style now anyway...

James

AGENT-X

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

South Padre Island, TX
Member #

I currently have both (16 wrangler JKU and a 13 Tacoma DCLB) and am having trouble deciding which one to use for overlanding. I currently have a Leer cap on the Tacoma and if I go with that one I think I’ll get rid of the cap and go with a bed rack and RTT. If I go with the Jeep I may attempt to make a sleeping space inside of the Jeep. I think the Tacoma will have much more room for cargo with the options I’m thinking. Though I like the solid axel of the Wrangler. All that to say I understand your dilemma.

KYOverlandingPatriot

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kentucky
Member #

That is my thought. Tacoma more space, jeep easier for me to work on. I would have to start fresh if I got the tacoma and have to worry about selling my jeep. Whereas right now all I have to do is redo the inside of my jeep a little from my trip last summer and build a trailer for space. Just got a 4x6 trailer last night that I am thinking of building up and putting my RTT on it and gaining the needed space I need. But at the end of the day the jeep just needs more power. So if I keep it I will have to address this problem. Not sure how to go about it. But I am now leaning more towards to keeping my wrangler just because I have been so many places with it.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My very humble opinion is sought after? Back in 1977 I bought a brand new 1976 Toyota Landcruiser. Life got in the way, career, ex wife, kids, mortgage etc etc. 20 years later I purchased a Jeep Wrangler, then in 2004 I purchased a new Rubicon. That was a great local vehicle, as it soon became way to small and weak for our extended long range touring needs. It was also very slow and lacked the GVW rating we needed to pull our trailer. I had an OME heavy suspension and it still bottomed out often. There is nothing quite as nasty as headwinds and having to downshift to 3rd gear wrapped up to 3200 rpms just to maintain 55 mph. It then became obvious that at around the 150 thousand mile mark we would have to begin thinking about major drivetrain repairs. It was already eating front axle universals and bumpstops for lunch, and the front driveshaft needed rebuilt about every 50 to 60k miles. And I'm a good driver, I don't abuse my equipment. I used to go wheelin with the local jeep guys and without fail, some one always suffered major carnage, and this was on vehicles with less than 100 thousand miles on em. I seriously considered an LS swap when it was time. All along though
I found myself attempting to make my Rubicon cruzer like, or at least like the 40 series I used to own. After a trip to Moab 4 years ago and having the crap beat out of us on interstate highways I decided enough was enough. ( note: I am a very experienced interstate traveler. during my career I averaged 140,000 miles a year, so I shouldn't have been suffering from severe fatigue at the end of a 12 hour day behind the wheel ) A month later I purchased our Toyota Landcruiser, sold the jeep and have never looked back. Toyota is so far ahead of the curve that American auto makers should be ashamed. Mine is a 1996, Full float solid axles, Triple Locked, body on frame, etc etc. Chrysler had none of these features until 2003. Nearly 15 years after Toyota introduced them to the consumer market. So, your question again? Build your Jeep or buy a Toyota? The Toyota will be what you are wanting your jeep to be right out of the box. Any build up of a Toyota is just icing on the cake.

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I don’t want this to come out wrong, but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one facing this problem.

I’ve had my 05 TJ Rubicon since 2009. It was my daily driver and fun rig up until I bought my 17 Tacoma TRD Off Road about a year ago. I’ve been battling myself on whether or not to sell the Jeep ever since.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I don’t want this to come out wrong, but it’s nice to know I’m not the only one facing this problem.

I’ve had my 05 TJ Rubicon since 2009. It was my daily driver and fun rig up until I bought my 17 Tacoma TRD Off Road about a year ago. I’ve been battling myself on whether or not to sell the Jeep ever since.
in all honesty, if I could have justified the expense of keeping the Rubi I would have.. once sold though I had a nice pile of money for upgrades on the LC

Reactions: SPJEEP4x4

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

in all honesty, if I could have justified the expense of keeping the Rubi I would have.. once sold though I had a nice pile of money for upgrades on the LC
Thankfully mine isn’t costing me anything except Insurance and whatever money I put into it.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I owned a TJ for six years and a 2nd gen Tacoma for five. The TJ was more fun to drive and better off road, but it was impractical. The Tacoma had a much better ride, was very practical, and more than competent off road.

I would buy a Tacoma before I sunk money (lots of it) into an engine swap on a JK.

Reactions: MOAK