• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Barr
Hello,
I'm excited to be a part of this overland community, and to learn as much as I can. My wife and I have done a little ground camping a coupe of times, but have decided we absolutely want to get more into overlanding and follow our adventurous spirit! However, we are brand new at this, and have a lot to learn.

We're driving a new 2020 Subaru Outback, and we are excitingly awaiting arrival late spring of our new Go Fast Campers SUPERLITE RTT!! Meanwhile, we're collecting camping gear, and I'm ready to purchase a roof rack. From doing my homework, it seems like the Thule Evo Wingbar rack system is perhaps the preferred Subaru way to go, which will clamp to my raised factory rails. My tent is 50" w /90"l, weighing 80lbs. My questions are the following:
- (Forgive my ignorance) The Thule Rack supports 220lbs dynamic...does this cancel out/supercede the factory crossbar 150lbs weight limit?

- I want to purchase the Thule Hideaway Awning, and have room to attach future accessories (weight considered)...would a 53" Wingbar be enough, or should I go the max 60"??

I do plan on leaving the rack on at all times, just removing the tent, since it's only 80lbs. I don't want my vehicle to look silly with perhaps too much overhang when not carrying anything?

I welcome all suggestions!! I'll post this under the gear thread as well.
Looking forward to learning from you all!
Thank you,

Jesse, Driftwood Saddleback (Band Duo w/ wife)

Reactions: MiamiC70

Traveler I

Chino, CA, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Barr
View attachment 183929

Subaru crossbars are rated (I believe conservatively) at something like 600lbs static & 165lbs dynamic weight. In any case I went with Yakima Skyline towers, Landing pads and direct mounted their LockNLoad platform Size “K”. I would highly recommend the LockNLoad system and you can usualply find them on sale 25% off 2-3 times a year.

I just recently took rack off and am reconfiguring it a bit.
Thanks. I'll check into this Yakima rack. How wide is it? 50" + for my tent and some accessories? That looks like a Waterport...on my list of goodies to get too.
Thank you,

Driftwood Saddleback