A little slide-out kitchen module VIDEO.. and coffee.

• HTML tutorial

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Hi guys,
Just a short little video I made this week while out camping and using my slide out kitchen module for the first time.. well on the slide platform that is. So far I am pleased with it.
Not as sophisticated as the beautiful Pull Out kitchen from PapaDave but it sure works for me.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hi guys,
Just a short little video I made this week while out camping and using my slide out kitchen module for the first time.. well on the slide platform that is. So far I am pleased with it.
Not as sophisticated as the beautiful Pull Out kitchen from PapaDave but it sure works for me.

Looks Great!
Nice Job!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi guys,

That looks like a great setup!

Reactions: Boreal Overland

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi guys,

Wicked nice! I liked watching your other thread on it.

Wish we had something like those shallow drawers easily accessible here in the US. I'd use them across the new bench/bed cabinet I'm thinking of doing, with FRO Cub Packs at the floor and those drawers over; all under the bench/bed.

Very cool, what you've done, very cool.

edit: Ohhh....I went looking again and found these, which seem very similar and will suit my purpose, size-wise.

Last edited:

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Wicked nice! I liked watching your other thread on it.

Wish we had something like those shallow drawers easily accessible here in the US. I'd use them across the new bench/bed cabinet I'm thinking of doing, with FRO Cub Packs at the floor and those drawers over; all under the bench/bed.

Very cool, what you've done, very cool.

edit: Ohhh....I went looking again and found these, which seem very similar and will suit my purpose, size-wise.

Hi, thank you.

Yes, those bins are almost the same as the ones i use, the so called EURO containers..
EURO containers or bins are 60 x 40 centimeters, so thats 24" x 15".
The ones in your link seem very sturdy, should work great!

I love that these bins are cheap, super lightweight and strong.
Only thing i've found that in hot weather the thin bottom of the bin deforms a bit with heavy pots and pans inside,
but that of course is logical and not a problem for me in this setup.

I used drawer slides on mine, but you could easily use the bin itself to slide on 2 side bars.

Hope these work out for you.

Cheers, Steve.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi, thank you.

Yes, those bins are almost the same as the ones i use, the so called EURO containers..
EURO containers or bins are 60 x 40 centimeters, so thats 24" x 15".
The ones in your link seem very sturdy, should work great!

I love that these bins are cheap, super lightweight and strong.
Only thing i've found that in hot weather the thin bottom of the bin deforms a bit with heavy pots and pans inside,
but that of course is logical and not a problem for me in this setup.

I used drawer slides on mine, but you could easily use the bin itself to slide on 2 side bars.

Hope these work out for you.

Cheers, Steve.
Yes, I liked the EURO bins as soon as I saw them in your earlier posts, and knew they'd be just the thing to add to under bed/bench in my van to take full advantage of the height. Inexpensive, lightweight, and rugged is key. Same with my FRO cub packs, wolf packs and much of my other storage. That they are square-sided, too, and not slant-sided, helps maximize space available. The items I'll store in them will live in them full-time, whether in the van or in storage on adventure racks when I use the van for helping someone move.

You've created a wonderfully compact, efficient, and good looking kitchen module. Something to be proud of.
I especially like that it's not so built-in that it would take an undue amount of time to move.

Looking forward to seeing what else you create. You've got a great eye for it.

~ Road

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
You've created a wonderfully compact, efficient, and good looking kitchen module. Something to be proud of.
I especially like that it's not so built-in that it would take an undue amount of time to move.

~ Road
The goal was a module that can be taken out in a minute.. and not weigh a ton when in the car.
Because the car is my daily driver and the kitchen module is used only a couple weeks a year (wish it was more)
it makes no sense for me driving year round with a ton of "cool overland gear" in the back..
Especially with gas prices here (The Netherlands) are around 1.95€ EURO'S a LITER !!!

BOREAL OVERLAND KITCHEN.jpg

Under the mountain sticker you see two little brackets.. these hold the module in place on the platform.
The flathead screws are connected to a slide in M6 nut in the 2020 extrusion.
I wanted to use knobs with tread so i did not need tools but did not have the space because of the other drawer on the left from it.
Just as a precaution, so the module won't tip over when i open both of the drawers a once.
If i unscrew these brackets i easily pick it up from the platform and place it on a cart that rolls into the shed.

Thanks again..

Oh my next project.. a less sexy one, probable a simple cargo shelf in the back of the car,
one that sits just above the kitchen module.
For some lightweight gear, like pillows and sleeping bags for the rooftop tent.

I made a shelf last year, as a quick solution but that one doesn't fit anymore
(and i stole some 2020 from it to build the slide out plaform LOL)

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Nice setup @Boreal Overland! Think you could give us some more information on your water setup? I really like that one push of a button and you water readily available!
Hi, i use a USB powered waterpump.. (with battery) is very simple but effective.
I was looking for 12V pumps and faucet's and all that stuff but then saw someone on Expedition Portal
using this on those plastic military jerrycans.. he's said it's been working fine so i bought something similar.

Here's the one i got:

And here's a little video:

Have a great weekend!

Steve