Rank II

Contributor II

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Heine
Member #

Hell everyone, I’m new to overlanding and would like to know if anyone know of good locations to go camping? I’m trying to learn how the Overland Bound One app works. Any tips would be grateful.

Happy Overlanding to all!

Rambelaya

Rank I

Contributor III

Calgary, AB, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Let
Hey Welcome! I'm new and just signed up, from Calgary. Just got back today from my first ever crown land camp last night!

Learned more in the last 24hrs than the 3 months prior combined! lol. I'm also looking forward to figuring out how the app works and hearing more from people on this board in the Alberta area.

IMG_1194 (Medium).jpg

North53Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Dashney
Member #

I use a combination of resources including Google Maps/Earth, Gaia Gps, iOverlander, The Dyrt, OnX Offroad and freecampsites.net
Similar. Honestly, I find in Alberta some of the hardcore "overlanders" don't like to share info on their spots. But there are a few good facebook groups where you might get some nice people to share.

I use Gaia, Google, BRMB printed maps and then just a sense of adventure;)

I really do like hummingbird falls area, nothing crazy to get to, just a lot of gravel roads, but some great spots there.

Reactions: Wacky4Runner

Imperial Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canada
Member #

Hey,

So I don't live in AB anymore but check out hwy 40 / the forest trunk road. There are TONS of camping spots in the ghost River area and Nordeg grand cache area as well.

As for ppl who don't want to share I don't blame them lots of spots get damaged and trash everywhere because people don't follow the tread lightly principals. If you're new to the outdoors or even if your not just pack out what you pack in and that includes toilet paper don't be that guy/ girl who ruins a spot by leaving trash around.

As for resources there are tones of GPX files you can find and load onto gaia for some routes or just go old map recces find a old logging road or cut line or whatever you want and just give it a go that's the adventure.

Always tell people when you're heading out though and leave someone with a detailed idea of the area your heading to just incase.

Reactions: Wacky4Runner

Wacky4Runner

Rank II

Contributor II

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Heine
Member #

I use a combination of resources including Google Maps/Earth, Gaia Gps, iOverlander, The Dyrt, OnX Offroad and freecampsites.net
Similar. Honestly, I find in Alberta some of the hardcore "overlanders" don't like to share info on their spots. But there are a few good facebook groups where you might get some nice people to share.

I use Gaia, Google, BRMB printed maps and then just a sense of adventure;)

I really do like hummingbird falls area, nothing crazy to get to, just a lot of gravel roads, but some great spots there.
Thank you I will check on Facebook for these groups.

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Welcome to overlanding. Close to Calgary is the Ghost area (northwest past Cochrane). Try the Forestry Trunk Road north or south from Highway 1. Start off from Canmore - take the Dorian/Stewart road south then link into the trunk road that takes you through public land all the way to Blairmore. North on the Forestry Trunk road past the Ghost is the Red Deer River/Burnt Timber then the Clearwater River areas - again all public land/random camping (need the provincial permit - $30/year/person). North of that is the South Ram River/Hummingbird area (Bighorn Wildland Area - see Alberta Agriculture/Forestry FLUZ for maps). Then the North Ram, Highway 11/Nordegg and north of that is the Cardinal River 4X4 area - designated trails into Ruby Falls and Cardinal Falls (and more!). All these FLUZ (forest land use zones - designating approved uses on land and trails) maps are available online or at a forestry office.

Wacky4Runner

Rank II

Contributor II

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Heine
Member #

Welcome to overlanding. Close to Calgary is the Ghost area (northwest past Cochrane). Try the Forestry Trunk Road north or south from Highway 1. Start off from Canmore - take the Dorian/Stewart road south then link into the trunk road that takes you through public land all the way to Blairmore. North on the Forestry Trunk road past the Ghost is the Red Deer River/Burnt Timber then the Clearwater River areas - again all public land/random camping (need the provincial permit - $30/year/person). North of that is the South Ram River/Hummingbird area (Bighorn Wildland Area - see Alberta Agriculture/Forestry FLUZ for maps). Then the North Ram, Highway 11/Nordegg and north of that is the Cardinal River 4X4 area - designated trails into Ruby Falls and Cardinal Falls (and more!). All these FLUZ (forest land use zones - designating approved uses on land and trails) maps are available online or at a forestry office.
Thank you! Much appreciated information.