'91 Centurion Classic C350 7.3 IDI 4x4 -= aka =- My Name is Lycanical, and I have issues...

• HTML tutorial

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Hey folks,

This is the beginning of my restoration journey for my new friend, Lycanical. I picked this name because I love werewolves and this vehicle is a bit of a shape-shifter with the ability to remove the top and add/remove rows to suit transportation needs. I have been watching and waiting for this combination of year, engine, and 4x4 for years to present itself to me, and when this one happened my wife actually urged me to jump on it. I was actually the second person in line to receive the truck, and the first guy turned out to be a no-show and failed to ever respond so victory was mine.

Background: Centurion was a company that had a direct relationship with Ford Dealerships for the 70's-90's making a handful of limited run custom vehicles. In the late 80's, Chevrolet released the Suburban, which Ford had no competitor to. Centurion filled that gap from the late 80's to mid 90's by taking a crew configuration F-Series pickup, removing the bed and shortening the frame, and fusing a Bronco rear end. They complimented the exterior with some upfitted interior consoles and features like CB Radios and TV's. The amalgamation of vehicles leaves you with a three row SUV with a removable top (compatible with all Bronco tonneau / softtop kits) and with the rear seats stowed over 12' of protected cargo space. In the case of my dream vehicle, this is an F-350 4x4 base with an IDI 7.3 V8 diesel and E40D automatic transmission. They only made a few thousand of these over the years. Ford released the Excursion and pretty much crushed Centurion, even though their factory solution was not as flexible. Youtube and wiki can provide more information.

00S0S_jwquCacaa0Gz_0mn09Z_1200x900.jpg

I did what many would likely find insane, and rode with my wife and a friend over 600 miles to go pick this vehicle up and drive it back based on numerous exchanges with the owner. It was over 100 degrees without a working A/C, we were encouraged to not take the truck over 60 until it was looked at, and we couldn't turn off the engine for fear it wouldn't start again without a shot of starter fluid which we wanted to avoid. The secret we discovered on the trip home was that several nests of red wasps were inhabiting areas around the rear of the vehicle, and with each stop we seemed to aggravate and shed more of the buggers. Other than the buzzing friends, we made it home without a single issue. Even my wife drove it for a sprint to give me a break from the heat. First impression: It's like driving a school bus - and I love it!

The previous owner actually did a fantastic job of walking me through and around the vehicle, knowing it's actually history even from the previous owner to himself. I was given a list of known area's to work on, as well as a couple of boxes of extra parts, starter fluid, and a factory turbo pulled from a slightly newer Ford. That being said, I took a few days to get the vehicle registered and check a few things out for myself and just decided it made more sense to take to a local dealership that specialized in Ford diesels to comb through what I knew, and find out what I didn't. I had this strategy of getting it mechanically sane for daily driving, build another pile of cash, and then start addressing the body and interior. Second Impression: Lycanical needs some serious love!

So, for Phase I of this search and rescue mission complete, here is what ended up happening:
  • New Water Pump
  • New Fuel Injection Pump
  • Cooling System Flush
  • Transfer Case Serviced and Leak Repaired
  • Power Steering Serviced
  • Front Differential Serviced
  • Rear Differential Serviced
  • New AC compressor, Condenser, Orifice tube and Flush
  • New Glow Plugs and Glow Plug Relay
  • New Fuel Line
  • New Starter
Phase I Impression: This thing starts and runs like a three ton kitten now!

Stay tuned for Phase II, which at this point is looking like some body work, addressing rust, and restoring the interior. Phase III may at times overlap with Phase II, where I plan to throw some aftermarket things at the vehicle.

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Phase II of this search and rescue mission is currently under way, here is what has happened so far:
  • Hand stitched leather steering wheel wrap (Thanks to my wife!)
  • Fixed dome light + door activating switches
  • Fixed radio backlight
  • Fixed liftgate window operation from dash, need to fix from key cylinder still
  • Driver and passenger hub lockouts replaced
  • Driveshaft removed and serviced
  • Rear Differential Yoke replaced
  • Passenger outer tie rod end replaced
  • Alignment
  • Rotated tires
  • Reconnected Transfer Case Shifter - 4x4 works!
  • Fixed windshield washer pump
  • Restored Headlight Lenses
  • Replaced Windshield Wipers
  • Replaced Door Lock Actuators (twice!)
  • Softopper Installed
  • TECA (transmission electronic control assembly) Replaced
  • Alternator Replaced / Upgrade to 3G unit
  • New Windshield Installed
  • Restored Gauge Cluster Installed
Random Thoughts about Phase II:
  • Treat underbody with Fluid film for a season or so before maybe going over with Corroseal to rejuvenate the metal and then address the rust.
  • Repair dents / replace too-gone panels.
  • Likely going to keep the vehicle white, with the bronco top black... All of my vehicles are usually black on black, and for this one I think it would look sharper as a stormtrooper pattern to go along with some blacked out aftermarket parts.
  • New passenger front door
  • Fix rear power window / defroster
  • Get the turbo installed?
  • Do something about those after market side mirrors...
  • More to come...

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Reserved for Phase III

Random Thoughts about Phase III:
  • Convert interior to black / grey theme (wolf colors)
  • Tint Windows
  • 40/20/40 Front Bench
  • Captain Chairs for Second Row
  • 40/20/40 Third Row Bench
  • Aftermarket blacked out LED head and tail lights
  • Aftermarket off-road style front and rear bumpers (considering winch bumper)
  • Power Steps
  • Replace the cab lights with blacked out cab lights.
  • Hitch mounted tire swing
  • New Tires, possibly slightly larger
  • Stereo system... Likely just get a hidden Bluetooth or USB hookup and run everything through the factory head unit. I can mount a tablet or use my phone for nav and whatnot, but want to drive sound through the speakers. Also, new speakers...
  • Mounts for HAM / GMRS equipment and antennas
  • Gear Vendors OD unit to double the gears / improve highway performance and lower road noise

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Wow, that's a list full. So there is no bulkhead behind the second row of seats....holy long truck, never seen that coming.
Scribed for awesomeness.
Zim
You nailed it. With the rear bench pulled and the mid row flipped forward, you have over 12' of space for lumber or all sorts of shenanigans. Funny enough, it's actually a few inches shorter than my 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab. By the time I get that tire swing mounted up it will be about the same. I added a little history on the vehicle to my first post to help folks out.

I figured I'll add some more photo's when I can do some before / after stuff. Right now it's pretty much what you can imagine from the one photo and the current list of work. ;)

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

ok I love this thing. I saw one many many moons ago up here in the great white north and thought it was coooool as could be and wanted one.

nice find and good luck

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Ordered a new tach sensor today. My tach gauge is kind of all over the place and not aligned with the sounds I hear when driving the truck. Should be a quick fix, but apparently on these E40D transmissions the sensor can also effect the shift points and cause performance issues etc..

I'll get it installed hopefully this weekend and do some more driving to see how it goes. Desperately need to get a seal kit from Bronco graveyard and stop the vibrations from all the glass.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Hey folks,

This is the beginning of my restoration journey for my new friend, Lycanical. I picked this name because I love werewolves and this vehicle is a bit of a shape-shifter with the ability to remove the top and add/remove rows to suit transportation needs. I have been watching and waiting for this combination of year, engine, and 4x4 for years to present itself to me, and when this one happened my wife actually urged me to jump on it. I was actually the second person in line to receive the truck, and the first guy turned out to be a no-show and failed to ever respond so victory was mine.

Background: Centurion was a company that had a direct relationship with Ford Dealerships for the 70's-90's making a handful of limited run custom vehicles. In the late 80's, Chevrolet released the Suburban, which Ford had no competitor to. Centurion filled that gap from the late 80's to mid 90's by taking a crew configuration F-Series pickup, removing the bed and shortening the frame, and fusing a Bronco rear end. They complimented the exterior with some upfitted interior consoles and features like CB Radios and TV's. The amalgamation of vehicles leaves you with a three row SUV with a removable top (compatible with all Bronco tonneau / softtop kits) and with the rear seats stowed over 12' of protected cargo space. In the case of my dream vehicle, this is an F-350 4x4 base with an IDI 7.3 V8 diesel and E40D automatic transmission. They only made a few thousand of these over the years. Ford released the Excursion and pretty much crushed Centurion, even though their factory solution was not as flexible. Youtube and wiki can provide more information.

View attachment 214326

I did what many would likely find insane, and rode with my wife and a friend over 600 miles to go pick this vehicle up and drive it back based on numerous exchanges with the owner. It was over 100 degrees without a working A/C, we were encouraged to not take the truck over 60 until it was looked at, and we couldn't turn off the engine for fear it wouldn't start again without a shot of starter fluid which we wanted to avoid. The secret we discovered on the trip home was that several nests of red wasps were inhabiting areas around the rear of the vehicle, and with each stop we seemed to aggravate and shed more of the buggers. Other than the buzzing friends, we made it home without a single issue. Even my wife drove it for a sprint to give me a break from the heat. First impression: It's like driving a school bus - and I love it!

The previous owner actually did a fantastic job of walking me through and around the vehicle, knowing it's actually history even from the previous owner to himself. I was given a list of known area's to work on, as well as a couple of boxes of extra parts, starter fluid, and a factory turbo pulled from a slightly newer Ford. That being said, I took a few days to get the vehicle registered and check a few things out for myself and just decided it made more sense to take to a local dealership that specialized in Ford diesels to comb through what I knew, and find out what I didn't. I had this strategy of getting it mechanically sane for daily driving, build another pile of cash, and then start addressing the body and interior. Second Impression: Lycanical needs some serious love!

So, for Phase I of this search and rescue mission complete, here is what ended up happening:
  • New Water Pump
  • New Fuel Injection Pump
  • Cooling System Flush
  • Transfer Case Serviced and Leak Repaired
  • Power Steering Serviced
  • Front Differential Serviced
  • Rear Differential Serviced
  • New AC compressor, Condenser, Orifice tube and Flush
  • New Glow Plugs and Glow Plug Relay
  • New Fuel Line
  • New Starter
Phase I Impression: This thing starts and runs like a three ton kitten now!

Stay tuned for Phase II, which at this point is looking like some body work, addressing rust, and restoring the interior. Phase III may at times overlap with Phase II, where I plan to throw some aftermarket things at the vehicle.
This is awesome I love resurrecting vehicles. They take a lot of work as you know, but feels so good when they are brought back from the dead. If you really want to make that IDI perform put the Banks sidewinder turbo on it, probably the best upgrade you can do on the IDI & they still stay reliable. Looking forward to following your project.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
This is awesome I love resurrecting vehicles. They take a lot of work as you know, but feels so good when they are brought back from the dead. If you really want to make that IDI perform put the Banks sidewinder turbo on it, probably the best upgrade you can do on the IDI & they still stay reliable. Looking forward to following your project.
I'm trying. Or maybe this whole endeavor is trying, hah! It's definitely fun and exciting though.

As for that Banks turbo kit... I've been doing some research on the couple of kits out there. Definitely looks like the Banks kit is well loved, but I guess I'm a bit shy because of the discussions about cavitation since the 7.3 is just a milled out 6.9. I don't have any experience working on turbo's (both my Eco Diesels are turbo'ed, but I have never had to work on them). As I mentioned in the original post, the guy gave me the Ford factory turbo from the 93-94 MY right before they released the PowerStroke. I think all I am missing is the down-pipe? He just never had a chance to install it.

If folks are being honest about the Banks system, it's something like a 50% power / efficiency gain? I think that would pull the 7.3 up to about the same specs as my 2020 Ram 1500 ED.

I ran the numbers:

BANKS SIDEWINDER TURBO 83-93 6.9/7.3L IDI FORD DIESEL
  • +82hp / +143 lb-ft torque = 267hp / 503 lb-ft torque
  • +29% MPG
COMPARE TO RAM 1500: 260hp / 480 lb-ft torque

I believe the Ford factory unit was more to help out with elevation / towing, and only gave a very slight upgrade. I'm not sure if that's because Ford was cautious of cavitation too, or if they just wanted to have bragging rights when the PowerStroke came out. Maybe a little of both... All I know is that the Ford kit I have seems to require a lot less work than the $3500 banks unit which looks like a complete exhaust system is as well. That $3500 can do a lot for the body work at this point ;)

If anyone has thoughts on adding the turbo and wants to chime in, feel free. I'm half learning as I go. I haven't had to do more than pump gas in almost 20 years and my last projects were a 69' Oldsmobile Toronado and an 86 Toyota Van 4x4.

Reactions: MazeVX

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I'm trying. Or maybe this whole endeavor is trying, hah! It's definitely fun and exciting though.

As for that Banks turbo kit... I've been doing some research on the couple of kits out there. Definitely looks like the Banks kit is well loved, but I guess I'm a bit shy because of the discussions about cavitation since the 7.3 is just a milled out 6.9. I don't have any experience working on turbo's (both my Eco Diesels are turbo'ed, but I have never had to work on them). As I mentioned in the original post, the guy gave me the Ford factory turbo from the 93-94 MY right before they released the PowerStroke. I think all I am missing is the down-pipe? He just never had a chance to install it.

If folks are being honest about the Banks system, it's something like a 50% power / efficiency gain? I think that would pull the 7.3 up to about the same specs as my 2020 Ram 1500 ED.

I ran the numbers:

BANKS SIDEWINDER TURBO 83-93 6.9/7.3L IDI FORD DIESEL
  • +82hp / +143 lb-ft torque = 267hp / 503 lb-ft torque
  • +29% MPG
COMPARE TO RAM 1500: 260hp / 480 lb-ft torque

I believe the Ford factory unit was more to help out with elevation / towing, and only gave a very slight upgrade. I'm not sure if that's because Ford was cautious of cavitation too, or if they just wanted to have bragging rights when the PowerStroke came out. Maybe a little of both... All I know is that the Ford kit I have seems to require a lot less work than the $3500 banks unit which looks like a complete exhaust system is as well. That $3500 can do a lot for the body work at this point ;)

If anyone has thoughts on adding the turbo and wants to chime in, feel free. I'm half learning as I go. I haven't had to do more than pump gas in almost 20 years and my last projects were a 69' Oldsmobile Toronado and an 86 Toyota Van 4x4.
If you can make the turbo work that you got with your purchase then I’d go that route. It should be pretty easy with a truck vs a van. I’ve always been a 4x4 diesel van guy. Doing mods on the Centurion will be much easier than a van.

While the 7.3L IDI is notably susceptible to damage resulting from cavitation against the cylinder walls, the phenomenon exists in every Diesel engine. IMHO the IDI is a true million mile engine it’s basically a tractor. I don’t worry much about cavitation in my diesels because I use Arch oil additives in my fuel & oil, plus my coolants.

Preventing cavitation is as easy as using the proper SCA/DCA (supplemental coolant additive, diesel coolant additive). An SCA/DCA works by chemically bonding to the outer cylinder walls. As cavitation occurs, the adhering additive provides a layer of protection between the cylinder walls and crashing coolant column.

The 7.3L IDI has roughly an 8 gallon cooling system capacity, so 2 pints are required after a cooling system flush. SCA/DCA should be used with a low silicate, ethylene glycol engine coolant concentrate. This should be used in a 50/50 mix; 50 percent coolant and 50 percent distilled water.

If you do this you’ll be golden. I’ve owned lots of diesels 7.3 idi, 7.3 & 6.0. If you do this on the IDI cavitation will be minimal.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Today was a good day. I got the rear window moving and was able to for the first time open the rear door. Looks like the switch is wired backwards when the rear tailgate was replaced, and everything needs lubricated. Beyond that, the lock cylinder needs replaced / re-keyed to match the rest of the vehicle.

Little work to do, but I'll be able to finally use the rear of the vehicle which is a huge win for utility.

Reactions: MazeVX and M Rose

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Today was a good day. I got the rear window moving and was able to for the first time open the rear door. Looks like the switch is wired backwards when the rear tailgate was replaced, and everything needs lubricated. Beyond that, the lock cylinder needs replaced / re-keyed to match the rest of the vehicle.

Little work to do, but I'll be able to finally use the rear of the vehicle which is a huge win for utility.
Spoke too soon. This tailgate is from another Bronco according to the previous owner, and I think the motor and / or wiring is just shot. It goes up and down with a lot of assistance, at some stages moves freely for a few inches before not moving at all. Pulled both the left and right track off and cleaned off what appeared to be 30 years of grease and grim, no bueno...

I found a female connector sitting disconnected inside the panel, another wire (that I'm assuming ran power for the defroster) was cut / taped off. The handle also has a ton of slop in it, and requires you to squeeze diamonds from coal to actuate the latches.

Not sure if this is a case for a new tailgate, or a lot of repairs.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Spoke too soon. This tailgate is from another Bronco according to the previous owner, and I think the motor and / or wiring is just shot. It goes up and down with a lot of assistance, at some stages moves freely for a few inches before not moving at all. Pulled both the left and right track off and cleaned off what appeared to be 30 years of grease and grim, no bueno...

I found a female connector sitting disconnected inside the panel, another wire (that I'm assuming ran power for the defroster) was cut / taped off. The handle also has a ton of slop in it, and requires you to squeeze diamonds from coal to actuate the latches.

Not sure if this is a case for a new tailgate, or a lot of repairs.
I replied over on FSB

Reactions: WareWolf MoonWall

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I replied over on FSB
Thank you once again for the support on my journey!

As I did over there, I'll end tonight's note on a positive...

After the earlier session with the beast, three of the four doors now activate the cab light! Driver door, I'm coming for you next!

Reactions: Mekcanix and M Rose

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Todays update after cleaning a bunch and checking the wiring. Apparently the last owner ran their own wiring from the cab, but it reads 12v at the liftgate motor so it's all good for now.

Win's for today:
  • 4/4 Doors trigger the cab light!
  • Found the splice in the line for the liftgate motor switch and corrected the orientation so it now matches the label on the dash. (up goes up, down goes down)
  • Ordered a new liftgate motor and a couple other things for the liftgate repair.
  • Dropped the liftgate cylinder off with a locksmith to get the pins set to match the vehicle keys so I can use the door key to move the window.

Reactions: Mekcanix

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Continuing to work through electrical issues, but making progress!

Win's for today:
  • Radio clock backlight restored.
  • New dome light cover (clear / diffused rather than the white opaque default) and brigher LED bulb
  • Liftgate motor replaced and working!
  • Liftgate lock cylinder re-keyed.
Upcoming tasks:
  • Liftgate lock cylinder operation of the rear window glass
  • Power Lock Actuators (They all need replaced)
  • Rear Defrost / associated wiring and switch
  • Figure out windshield wiper fluid sprayer (motor?)

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Apologies for not having any updates, but I haven't had a lot of time to focus on the restoration.

I am currently thinking through a vibration / hum that only happens at speeds over 60mph and feels to come from the front passenger side. Previous owner mentioned it, thought it was tire / wheel balance but wasn't able to smooth it out. Recommended either driveshaft needs balanced, or the front u-joints. Any guesses?

I would certainly enjoy being able to keep up on the highway, as I currently won't drive it over 60 to avoid causing damage depending on the source.

My wife and I did take a slow cruise last weekend to Chateau, OK for some lunch and groceries from the Amish Cheese House. Here is a picture of the truck for those of you that have been asking:

IMG_20211211_151419_01_v2.jpg

As for the plan / progress. While we have the cooler weather I'll be continuing to work on the electrical issues, and probably go through and replace all the door, window, liftgate, and top seals / weatherstripping. Once the weather warms up I will probably start taking on the bodywork and paint. If I can get my way the majority of the restoration (not upgrades) will be done by my birthday next summer.

Last edited:

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I am currently thinking through a vibration / hum that only happens at speeds over 60mph and feels to come from the front passenger side. Previous owner mentioned it, thought it was tire / wheel balance but wasn't able to smooth it out. Recommended either driveshaft needs balanced, or the front u-joints. Any guesses?
I have loved these things ever since laying eyes on one the first time as a young teenager. My dad was doing a driving event at the Monster Mile in Dover, DE and we parked next to one of these. I was in awe! A 4 door, heavy duty Bronco! It was love at first sight, and I still get on ebay on occasion and look at these when they come up for auction.

As for your vibration/hum, have you tried swapping the wheel in question to the rear opposite side of the truck? If you're still getting the vibration from the front passenger side, you can then effectively rule out a wheel balance issue or the possibility of the wheel being out of round. From there the next thing I think I would look at is the bearings up front.

Good luck and I can't wait to see/hear about more progress on this truck!

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
OK, so I've had the truck in the shop since after the new year and this is what I know so far...

• The noise / vibration issue around 60mph that we as a community believed to be the passenger side hub lockout has been replaced (as has the drivers, since they are sold in pairs) and that issue is resolved.
  • There is another noise / vibration coming from the rear of the truck when you get into the mid-60s which I didn't know about because I always backed off from the first issue. The shop claimed it was the driveshaft, so they pulled it off and took it to a specialist company that did some magic and handed it back. Now they are saying some of the issue is resolved, but they noticed when installing it that the yoke / splines are not correct and that's causing slippage / power loss and likely the root of the drive shaft issues. I believe that from Ford, this would have been a 29-spline unit, but apparently, they are seeing 31? At this point, they aren't sure what is going on, and suspect that maybe the rear end isn't from Ford. Apparently, they can't identify it and are considering just putting the truck back together and making it my problem??? I have no idea, but I did some digging and found that Yukon sells Ford yokes with 31 splines for this year / setup. I passed that information over to the shop and I guess will see where that goes. They are closed on weekends, so I'll try to follow up next week.

Reactions: GLOCKer