4x4 Trails in WV & Western VA Needed

• HTML tutorial

Zach Pemberton

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crown City, OH
Member #

Hey guys I’m trying to get together trail info in WV and even western VA to organize a WV and hopefully some VA meet. I can only do so much through google earth and searching google and forums.

If you have any gps trails that would be amazing. But also if you just have any info on trails in these states please let me know so I can research them and get something going for this area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Hey guys I’m trying to get together trail info in WV and even western VA to organize a WV and hopefully some VA meet. I can only do so much through google earth and searching google and forums.

If you have any gps trails that would be amazing. But also if you just have any info on trails in these states please let me know so I can research them and get something going for this area!

Hi Zach,
Not sure if you are into pay campsites, but I just went last weekend to Williamsport WV (Twin Mountain Off-road). If you are passing by that way and need a place to regroup on your journey, they have hot showers and bathroom facilities also. Here is a link to a video that our club president put together of our 3 day weekend there.

Here is the link to their website if you want to make reservations.
http://www.twinmountainoffroad.com/

They also offer a off-road medical training, which I thought was pretty interesting. Hope this helps!

Zach Pemberton

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crown City, OH
Member #

OK that is $40 a night for access to the trails in the camping or just 15 tonight for just camping. I’m fine with that but I’m sure others might not be

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

It's $40 a day for an all day to access their trails, and $15 a night for camping. You could probably contact them and see if those can be separated (meaning just use the campsites and wheel elsewhere - on public trails). Our group chose to wheel there also.

ronrob92

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arlington, VA
Member #

Have you checked out Cove? I think for a WV/VA trip, it's in a great location (about half an hour outside of Winchester). They do group events or you can find a campsite yourself, plus a gun range, awesome trails, a lake with boating, etc. Not too expensive either, comparable to the one site listed above.

The link, if you're interested.
http://www.covecampground.com/camping.htm

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Have you checked out Cove? I think for a WV/VA trip, it's in a great location (about half an hour outside of Winchester). They do group events or you can find a campsite yourself, plus a gun range, awesome trails, a lake with boating, etc. Not too expensive either, comparable to the one site listed above.

The link, if you're interested.
http://www.covecampground.com/camping.htm
Does Cove have OHV trails? Their site just says ATV and motorcycle.

ronrob92

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arlington, VA
Member #

Absolutely! My friend and I took our Jeeps up there a month ago and weren't the only ones. I saw more OHVs than ATVs/motorcycles, though they may be on different routes. There's also trails sponsored by a local 4x4 association, but I cannot remember which one.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Absolutely! My friend and I took our Jeeps up there a month ago and weren't the only ones. I saw more OHVs than ATVs/motorcycles, though they may be on different routes. There's also trails sponsored by a local 4x4 association, but I cannot remember which one.
Cool! Thanks.

Would you rate those trails as entry level, moderate, or advanced?

ronrob92

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arlington, VA
Member #

I'd say most of them are entry level or moderate. We did end up going up a trail and had to turn around, so there are serious trails there as well. Many of the advanced trails are sponsored by that local 4x4 club, and you're not supposed to take them unless you're a member or in a group. We learned when we got back to camp that the trail we turned around on mandated a minimum 2" lift, plus a winch and a hi-lift.

The moderates I was able to get through in a stock jeep with my sway bar disconnected, plus a spotter. One of the most technical parts I actually posted a gif of in the "New Members" area on my introduction post, if you want to get a better idea of what I considered to be a moderate trail.

Hope this helps!

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I'd say most of them are entry level or moderate. We did end up going up a trail and had to turn around, so there are serious trails there as well. Many of the advanced trails are sponsored by that local 4x4 club, and you're not supposed to take them unless you're a member or in a group. We learned when we got back to camp that the trail we turned around on mandated a minimum 2" lift, plus a winch and a hi-lift.

The moderates I was able to get through in a stock jeep with my sway bar disconnected, plus a spotter. One of the most technical parts I actually posted a gif of in the "New Members" area on my introduction post, if you want to get a better idea of what I considered to be a moderate trail.

Hope this helps!
Thanks!

ronrob92

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arlington, VA
Member #

There's several different camp sites (numbered 1-10, I believe). Each site has a number of spots to it. I stayed at Site 7, spot 2, I believe. Some photos of the site are below. Each site and spot is different - we wanted to be closest to the water, which was a mistake in the Virginia heat. The site next to us was tucked farther into the forest and was likely much cooler (we jerry rigged a tarp up between the jeeps to get us some shade).

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633

Flagpole knob. North west of I64 and I81 near harrisonburg VA. Google maps has it. Just learning the area but a few nice camp sites and moderate trails. Nothing a stock 4x4 cant do. Campsites are primitive

Zach Pemberton

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Crown City, OH
Member #

I will lookup trails there. I have plenty around southwest VA some of them looked pretty technical with chances of deep mud/water crossings which is like a more “rocky” scenario lol but I’ll check em out

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

How is the WV trail search going?