Koebes

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Paulding, OH 45879, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3OTL
I am in the market for a new truck. My research has led me to either a 4th or 5th gen 4Runner.
I am somewhat confused on the Full time 4WD ( V8 limited) and the part time 4WD system. The full time system has a center diff lock. So i guess my question is: Is a Full-time 4WD system with Center diff locked the same as a part time 4WD system in 4WD ? How about off road capability ? Future upgrades compatible (full time 4wd vs. Part time 4WD models)
Thanks , Steve

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hi Steve, you ask a good question here, and I'd love to have a discussion with you that would really answer all your questions. I say that because I can answer the above questions, but of course you are smart and would probably have even more questions because of my answers!

That said, I'll do my best to address what I hear are your main questions, but the specifics may be a little generic as some changes were made with buttons, etc., especially over different generations.

To answer your direct question specifically, yes, when you lock the center diff, it's the same performance as the part-time system in 4WD.

The Full-time system has a center differential, the only way it can be a true, full-time 4WD. Landcruisers in the US since the 80 series have a similar type of Full-Time 4WD system, a center diff that locks on 4-LO engagement. The Fulltime 4WD system in the 4Runner does not have a 'N' range, it uses a dial that has two positions, 4H and 4L. In the 4Runner, the transmissions have a different designation for the full-time and part-time systems.
The 'part-time' system has what you might think of as a traditional 4WD system, with a lever with 2Hi, 4Hi, N, and 4Lo positions. The part-time system does not have a center diff lock because it does not have a center diff, therefore doesn't need one. Whenever it's in 4WD, it should not be driven on hard surfaces as this could cause front / rear 'driveline windup' where if the front and rear propeller shafts rotate at even slightly different speeds, they will soon cause damage to the transfer case. It would be like driving on hard ground with a rear diff locked all the time - something's going to fail.

Off road capability is identical really if you're thinking about using 4Hi or 4Lo because they're the same. I don't know the 4Lo transfer case ratios from memory, but I know that it's near as makes no difference.

A popular modification by some to the 80 series is to turn it into a part-time system, complete with old-school manual hubs. This is done to improve driveability, not turning all those moving parts effects that to a great degree, and to improve fuel economy, and some think reliability.
I have found that Toyota 4WD systems, especially those with a true 2-speed transfer case, incredibly reliable and messing with them at all will only decrease their reliability.

Hope this answers your questions. Dan.

Koebes

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Paulding, OH 45879, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3OTL
Hi Steve, you ask a good question here, and I'd love to have a discussion with you that would really answer all your questions. I say that because I can answer the above questions, but of course you are smart and would probably have even more questions because of my answers!

That said, I'll do my best to address what I hear are your main questions, but the specifics may be a little generic as some changes were made with buttons, etc., especially over different generations.

To answer your direct question specifically, yes, when you lock the center diff, it's the same performance as the part-time system in 4WD.

The Full-time system has a center differential, the only way it can be a true, full-time 4WD. Landcruisers in the US since the 80 series have a similar type of Full-Time 4WD system, a center diff that locks on 4-LO engagement. The Fulltime 4WD system in the 4Runner does not have a 'N' range, it uses a dial that has two positions, 4H and 4L. In the 4Runner, the transmissions have a different designation for the full-time and part-time systems.
The 'part-time' system has what you might think of as a traditional 4WD system, with a lever with 2Hi, 4Hi, N, and 4Lo positions. The part-time system does not have a center diff lock because it does not have a center diff, therefore doesn't need one. Whenever it's in 4WD, it should not be driven on hard surfaces as this could cause front / rear 'driveline windup' where if the front and rear propeller shafts rotate at even slightly different speeds, they will soon cause damage to the transfer case. It would be like driving on hard ground with a rear diff locked all the time - something's going to fail.

Off road capability is identical really if you're thinking about using 4Hi or 4Lo because they're the same. I don't know the 4Lo transfer case ratios from memory, but I know that it's near as makes no difference.

A popular modification by some to the 80 series is to turn it into a part-time system, complete with old-school manual hubs. This is done to improve driveability, not turning all those moving parts effects that to a great degree, and to improve fuel economy, and some think reliability.
I have found that Toyota 4WD systems, especially those with a true 2-speed transfer case, incredibly reliable and messing with them at all will only decrease their reliability.

Hope this answers your questions. Dan.
WOW.... thats exactly the info I was looking for.....and then some.
Thanks again for your time and input.
Steve

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I owned a part time 4th gen Sport Edition V6 and now a full time 5th gen limited 4runner. Simple answer... there is no difference for 4x4 mode. My 4th gen was rear wheel drive only (H2) and then transfer case lock for 4HI (H4) and 4LO (L4). All controlled by knob, no lever with a N position. 5th gen limited is ALL wheel drive AWD (H4F) with center diff instead of rear wheel drive only and then can lock center diff for 4HI (H4L) and 4LO (L4L)., same as 4th gen. The only difference is rear wheel drive only in 4th gen and AWD (with center diff slip) in the 5th limited. There is no full time 4WD in any 4runner, only full time AWD. Also Last time I checked a N position in transfer case offers no traction benefit and my 4th gen did not offer it nor does my 5th gen limited. But other models of 5th gen with stick transfer case have it by default. No different than transmission neutral. Nor is there a difference in the transmission “designations” in any generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koebes

Koebes

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Paulding, OH 45879, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3OTL
I owned a part time 4th gen Sport Edition V6 and now a full time 5th gen limited 4runner. Simple answer... there is no difference for 4x4 mode. The 4th gen was rear wheel drive only (H2) and then lock for 4HI (H4) and 4LO (L4). All controlled by knob, no lever with a N position. 5th gen limited is ALL wheel drive (H4F) with center diff instead of rear wheel drive only and then can lock for 4HI (H4L) and 4LO (L4L)., same as 4th gen. The only difference is rear wheel drive only in 4th gen and AWD (with center diff slip) in the 5th limited. AWD and 4WD IS NOT THE SAME THING due to center diff slip. Last time I checked a N position in transfer case offers no traction benefit and my 4th gen did not offer it. Nor is there a difference in the transmission “designations”.
Great info .... thanks![emoji106]

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I'll jump in here and most likely be wrong but here goes...I believe there is no "center differential" in 4th or 5th gen 4Runners. As well as there is no center diff lock. The trucks have an E-locker (electronic locker) for the rear diff and a 2 range transfer case (4Hi/4Lo) that I think is incorrectly being referred to as a center diff. Let the flaming begin...OK after a bit of googling it appears I am all wrong. The first sentence applies. Oops

Last edited:
Reactions: Koebes

hookem11

Rank I

Contributor III

This is true for the 5th Gen 4runners, but the 4th Gen V6 4x4 (part time) have 4hi and 4lo, either can be with or without the center diff locked. Essentially the same 4wd options asthe full-time system on the V8s but can also do RWD/2hi.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
This is true for the 5th Gen 4runners, but the 4th Gen V6 4x4 (part time) have 4hi and 4lo, either can be with or without the center diff locked. Essentially the same 4wd options asthe full-time system on the V8s but can also do RWD/2hi.
Thanks for this info, but I may be don't understand that they came with a center diff lock, do you have a pic of that car that shows a center diff lock option? I'm curious, I don't remember that.
If this is the transfer case with the "N" Position, it shouldn't have or need a center diff lock, because it doesn't have a center diff. Are you thinking of the "H" series transfer case with no "N" position?

Thanks, Dan.

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

The models with manual transfer case and manual shifter do not have a center diff. Old school type transfer case without a viscous coupling. The models with the electronic transfer cases using buttons and knobs for switching have the center diff. I may be wrong but I believe all 4th gen had an electronic transfer case and the manual shifted are in Some models of the 5th gen. I am not included 1st through 3rd gens as we are only talking 4th and 5th gen. The center diff lock button looks like below. Also note placing an electronic transfer case in 4LO automatically locked the center diff, even without pushing the center diff button. I admit I kinda miss my 4th gen in the respect I had 2wd, all wheel drive, 4HI with center diff locked, and 4LO with center diff locked. And the reason I miss it is I have 5th gen limited which is only 5th gen model without 2wd. IMG_1217.JPG

Last edited:

hookem11

Rank I

Contributor III

The models with manual transfer case and manual shifter do not have a center diff. Old school type transfer case without a viscous coupling. The models with the electronic transfer cases using buttons and knobs for switching have the center diff. I may be wrong but I believe all 4th gen had an electronic transfer case and the manual shifted are in Some models of the 5th gen. I am not included 1st through 3rd gens as we are only talking 4th and 5th gen. The center diff lock button looks like below. Also note placing an electronic transfer case in 4LO automatically locked the center diff, even without pushing the center diff button. I admit I kinda miss my 4th gen in the respect I had 2wd, all wheel drive, 4HI with center diff locked, and 4LO with center diff locked. And the reason I miss it is I have 5th gen limited which is only 5th gen model without 2wd. View attachment 86700
Exactly right. One clarification on the center diff lock: the lock button in your photo can be pressed (or not) in either 4LO or 4HI. So the 4th Gen T4R can run in 4LO unlocked (that's the default) but can also run with the diff locked in either 4LO or 4HI. On the V6 you can also run 2WD (obviously diff lock unavailable in that mode).