270 awnings...Drivers side or passenger??

• HTML tutorial

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

Left or right ..drivers or passengers depending if your from down undah.....lol

Like to hear your pros and cons.

Cheers from Canada

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
This would mostly depend on preference. Personally I would do passenger side since my wife rides there and would benefit from the shade and weather protection. It would also be consistent with how I would arrange out campsite for privacy.

Reactions: Sinocai

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

This would mostly depend on preference. Personally I would do passenger side since my wife rides there and would benefit from the shade and weather protection. It would also be consistent with how I would arrange out campsite for privacy.
I'm hoping the awning isn't pulled during the drive!

I've thought about that too, which side? I'm guessing for me, it wouldn't matter too much, I would park in a way to get the best shade.

Even thought about the short one for rear mount.

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

I hear ya consistency is a definite must...im a bit ocd. Lol....mind so is flexibility lol

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

I'm hoping the awning isn't pulled during the drive!

I've thought about that too, which side? I'm guessing for me, it wouldn't matter too much, I would park in a way to get the best shade.

Even thought about the short one for rear mount.
I hear ya...I've been hearing alot about the passenger side cause you can pull over on the side of the road and put it up without worrying about traffic.

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

My tire carrier swings out from the passenger side so I mount my awning on the drivers side otherwise my carrier would be right in the middle of it when open.
Ya good point...vehicle dependent.....ill have to keep that in mind when I buy the bumper.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Well do you have a RTT? That can dictate whicn side but I went passenger it also lets you deploy if if you are having lunch on a turn out on the road . Is also let’s it nearly come all the way around where my RTT folds out and only leaves a small gap between the. Providing a massive amount of coverage. Also consider whicn one you buy. Not all offer the same about of coverage and only protrude a few feet out from the Rig.

BuddyWill

Rank III

Contributor III

EDEN
First Name
Will
Last Name
Lee
Member #

If you have an RTT, which side the access is on may answer that for you.

I chose driver's side because it felt most natural for me. My important storage items are located behind the driver's seat assessable from the rear door hence I use that door a lot when at camp. If I need to use awning walls, that room gives me access to the driver and driver's side rear shall I need to get in the cockpit to manage electrical. For instance, monitoring my dual battery voltages since I do not have solar yet.

Hope that helps.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

All else equal, I'd pick passengerside so when pulled over on the highway, FSR or municipal street the awning would not be into the traffic lane..... unless in a British Colony.

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

Well do you have a RTT? That can dictate whicn side but I went passenger it also lets you deploy if if you are having lunch on a turn out on the road . Is also let’s it nearly come all the way around where my RTT folds out and only leaves a small gap between the. Providing a massive amount of coverage. Also consider whicn one you buy. Not all offer the same about of coverage and only protrude a few feet out from the Rig.
Ya reversible tent so I can out it on either side.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I would choose passenger side for all the reasons already stated. However, if you run a lot of tight trails, the drivers side usually takes less of a beating.

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

Mine is on the driver side. My JKU tire swings out to the passenger side so essentially if I had a passenger side model i'd have to walk around the tailgate when it's open.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

It depends on the rig!

I did passenger side for my Van, since most of our time is spent near the side doors.

IMG_20200502_175430.jpgIMG_20200729_200517.jpg

If on my old Jeep I would put it on the Driver's side (Left) since the tailgate opens to that side. I always had my straight awning on that side and my fridge was in the rear, DS seat.

IMG_20180726_093034.jpg

Attachments

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
The primary factor, I believe, is how your rear door opens - ours opens from left to right (hinge is on the RHS of the car) so a 370 deg awning would be better on the LHS.

We drive on whatever side of the road is legally required, and this varies from country to country, so we don't consider this factor.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Sinocai - If you plan to stay at any Ontario Provincial Parks, most sites are oriented to the passenger's side of the vehicle or more accurately trailer. If you back in, the fire pit will almost always be on the passenger's side and the opposite side is usually a bit better in terms of grade, tree clearing and surface treatment for a vehicle and/or trailer to sit on it. This makes sense as most commercially made camper vans, trailers, etc. have the entry door, awning, and so on on the passenger's side. It's a whole different thing if you plan to camp on Crown Land. Basically set up where you can.