2022 Silverado ZR2?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14476
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 14476

Looks like Chevy is going to be releasing a ZR2 version of the Silverado for the 2022 year. Do you think it’ll have a solid place in overlanding /will you be getting one?

I’m personally not sure how to feel about this yet. But once/if it gets officially announced today, I’ll update this with my thoughts. As a Chevy guy that stopped loving Chevy after 2015, I wish they would be more quality focused,listen to the people, and stop having people design trucks that obviously don’t own them(see electronic shifter in interior pic). Hopefully (realistically, I doubt it) this might change things a little.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14476

Here’s the leaked release video. Yeah, I’m disappointed, this is underwhelming to say the least.

I’ve even watched the Chad Hall Silverado they showed race at the Parker 425 for a couple years now and we thought it was a stock Silverado, wasn’t impressive at all.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The ZR2 looks nice, what exactly is "underwhelming" with it?
If it's a upscaled version of the Colorado suspension it should be a very good truck.
Exactly. The only thing I didn't like about the Colly ZR2 is the seats. I did not find them comfortable. Everything else was AWESOME. Suspension was dialed with those shocks. I can only assume that chevy dialed them in for the silverado ZR2 as well. Steel front bumper, some nice interior upgrades, etc. Probably be able to fit 35's stock. Good job chevy.

D

Deleted member 14476

The ZR2 looks nice, what exactly is "underwhelming" with it?
If it's a upscaled version of the Colorado suspension it should be a very good truck.
Comparing it to the Tremor or Rebel, sure… it’s a competitor. Comparing it to a Raptor or TRX, not even in the same ballpark. I know you wouldn’t compare it to those two but this is Chevy’s flagship offroad truck, the absolute BEST they have to offer, and it is embarrassing compared to the other companies flagship offroad trucks (Raptor, TRX).

It’s essentially just a lifted truck, with weird shocks and lockers. None too impressive, cool sure, but not impressive. They could’ve done so much more with it. I’m not taking any of the new look into consideration because that doesn’t make it any better or worse when talking about vehicle performance.

…It’s been 10 years since the debut of the Raptor, and this is the best we got from Chevy, that’s why it’s underwhelming, well underwhelming to me I should say. You want Chevy to get up to bat and push the envelope, not still be playing catch up.But hey, complaining doesn’t solve anything.

It is a cool truck, don’t get me wrong. I’m sure people will be able to make some pretty darn cool rigs out of this platform like they have with the ZR2 Colorados. AEV will most definitely be coming out with a Bison equivalent of this truck, I’m excited to see that. With enough time, I’m sure Chevy will come out with a contender for the Raptor and TRX also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Comparing it to the Tremor or Rebel, sure… it’s a competitor. Comparing it to a Raptor or TRX, not even in the same ballpark. I know you wouldn’t compare it to those two but this is Chevy’s flagship offroad truck, the absolute BEST they have to offer, and it is embarrassing compared to the other companies flagship offroad trucks (Raptor, TRX).

It’s essentially just a lifted truck, with weird shocks and lockers. None too impressive, cool sure, but not impressive. They could’ve done so much more with it. I’m not taking any of the new look into consideration because that doesn’t make it any better or worse when talking about vehicle performance.

…It’s been 10 years since the debut of the Raptor, and this is the best we got from Chevy, that’s why it’s underwhelming, well underwhelming to me I should say. You want Chevy to get up to bat and push the envelope, not still be playing catch up.But hey, complaining doesn’t solve anything.

It is a cool truck, don’t get me wrong. I’m sure people will be able to make some pretty darn cool rigs out of this platform like they have with the ZR2 Colorados. AEV will most definitely be coming out with a Bison equivalent of this truck, I’m excited to see that. With enough time, I’m sure Chevy will come out with a contender for the Raptor and TRX also.
Ok but it was clear from the beginning that the ZR2 wouldn't be a raptor / trx competitor.
It's just a real world offroad capable truck

D

Deleted member 14476

Ok but it was clear from the beginning that the ZR2 wouldn't be a raptor / trx competitor.
It's just a real world offroad capable truck
I don’t keep up as much as I’d like to with the news for trucks, didn’t hear about that but regardless I believe you. Frankly I didn’t even know they were coming out with these until yesterday.

They’re all real world, just some more in different parts of the world. There’s a lot of Raptors in my slice of the pie, but I also live in the ideal place for someone to own one.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I don’t keep up as much as I’d like to with the news for trucks, didn’t hear about that but regardless I believe you. Frankly I didn’t even know they were coming out with these until yesterday.

They’re all real world, just some more in different parts of the world. There’s a lot of Raptors in my slice of the pie, but I also live in the ideal place for someone to own one.
I probably live in one of the worst places for a fullsize, but I definitely would buy one if they weren't priced like the unicorns they are over here.
I always loved the chevy/gmc trucks and almost bought a '87 K1500 back then, would love to get me a 2nd generation Silverado extended cab as project car.
I'm not closely following them but checking from time to time and so I read about the face-lift and the ZR2.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I think the TRX is the dumbest idea ever for a truck. 4mpg on the hammer. pointless. Dodge/chrysler has no tricks left, just lets hemi everything. lacks imagination. Even tossing a Hemi in a jeep...again, pointless.
While I am not a Doge fan, I'm not 100% sure you are right on this. The Hemi Wrangler had been long pined-after. Win.

And thier infotainment systems (U-Connect?) Is award winning. I can see why. We had a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (6 cyl) as a rental a couple weeks ago and the infotainment system in that thing blows my GMC'S away. Granted my truck is not new, but what they are doing on that front was fun. The offroad apps showing long/ lat position and so may other interesting choices.

Having said that, 4mpg is kind of stupid. I can get that just being heavy-footed with my 5.3

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Firstly, I was excited to see the commercial during an NFL game where the GOAT pulled yet another trick out of his hat at his age.

But after the excitement settled down I realized I am of 2 minds on this.

I'm still glad for it. Taken in a vacuum, this Silverado ZR2 looks like a blast! I sure hope they put all that on the Sierra as well. It has so many things the Silverado has been lacking. And those "wierd shocks" happen to be some of the best wierd shocks out there right now.

And the selectable lockers...? Personally I dont use any beyond my G80 because I am not doing technical trails, but this IS what everyone has been asking for. This DOES put this truck more on par with those other competitors. The technology and interior are much improved as well.

I do hate electronic, console shifters in tricks. To me, a truck trans shifter needs to be on the tree, and I hate dials or electronic console shifters where you cant jeep your eyes on the road and tell where the shifter is by feel.

Do I wish this were up there with the Raptor? After 10 years?! Yes. Yes i do. And i wish, after 10 years of waiting, that it were more than a raptor fighter. I wish the Raptor design team were currently sitting at thier desks saying "WTF! How are we gonna compete with THAT?!"

But really, it wouldnt take much to make this as capable as a Raptor. And in so.e ways it doesnt have to be. It's a great offroad truck as it is. The Raptor specifically eats at desert running at high speeds.

I look at the Chevy Trail Boss, this new Silverado ZR2 and hopefully that new GMC Canyon concept truck as excellent overlanders. I'm actually wondering if they will just retire the Trail Boss in favor of this new platform.

D

Deleted member 14476

Firstly, I was excited to see the commercial during an NFL game where the GOAT pulled yet another trick out of his hat at his age.

But after the excitement settled down I realized I am of 2 minds on this.

I'm still glad for it. Taken in a vacuum, this Silverado ZR2 looks like a blast! I sure hope they put all that on the Sierra as well. It has so many things the Silverado has been lacking. And those "wierd shocks" happen to be some of the best wierd shocks out there right now.

And the selectable lockers...? Personally I dont use any beyond my G80 because I am not doing technical trails, but this IS what everyone has been asking for. This DOES put this truck more on par with those other competitors. The technology and interior are much improved as well.

I do hate electronic, console shifters in tricks. To me, a truck trans shifter needs to be on the tree, and I hate dials or electronic console shifters where you cant jeep your eyes on the road and tell where the shifter is by feel.

Do I wish this were up there with the Raptor? After 10 years?! Yes. Yes i do. And i wish, after 10 years of waiting, that it were more than a raptor fighter. I wish the Raptor design team were currently sitting at thier desks saying "WTF! How are we gonna compete with THAT?!"

But really, it wouldnt take much to make this as capable as a Raptor. And in so.e ways it doesnt have to be. It's a great offroad truck as it is. The Raptor specifically eats at desert running at high speeds.

I look at the Chevy Trail Boss, this new Silverado ZR2 and hopefully that new GMC Canyon concept truck as excellent overlanders. I'm actually wondering if they will just retire the Trail Boss in favor of this new platform.
Well put, I agree with this

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I liked the Trail Boss when it came out. It seemed like going back to what the original Z71 used to be. But it was clear it was no Raptir competitor, but great for going on mild trails and camping. I wondered when they would get serious against the Raptor. Seems like the engineers wanted to blow it out of the water but a committee a d the bean counters held them back.

All this sort of makes me wonder if the Z71 or Trail Boss will be left by the wayside. Too many "off road edition Silverados". The Z71 used to be a nice little offroad package but lately those have been getting closer and closer to the ground, watered down. Then comes the Trail Boss. Now the ZR2...I'd be curious to see what the sales number for each model becomes in the next 2 years

Reactions: Desert Runner

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
The lockers on it moves it to the "maybe" list for us. The downside is the stupid spool shocks. Not sure we'd replace them right off the bat, but they're not good enough justify getting another set after they die or start losing performance. What is nice about this vs the Raptor or TRX is that it has greater payload and will be better behaved while towing.

Reactions: Golferplus1

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
13" screen. Bwaaa hahahahha. What a blatantly ignorant device to add to a truck. What's Dodge going to do? Add a 19" screen to compete? What I'd give to go back to just four gauges, a speedo and tach, and a knob style radio that doesn't light up.

I get the wanting for a Raptor competitor. But if that's how you feel, why not just buy a Raptor? That's why competitors are different today. Try to find a niche. Want a Powerwagon, but want to tow as well?.........Get a F250/350 Tremor. Want a Wrangler, but don't want to hit super tight trails or rock crawl? Get a Bronco. Etc. Etc. Want a Bronco with a bed? Get a Gladiator. Do you like Wranglers, but wish you had more bling, and even less reliability? Get a Landrover.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

13" screen. Bwaaa hahahahha. What a blatantly ignorant device to add to a truck. What's Dodge going to do? Add a 19" screen to compete? What I'd give to go back to just four gauges, a speedo and tach, and a knob style radio that doesn't light up...
Look, I'm right there with ya.. ive said it many times: my first truck was a 90 or 91 Chevy K1500 single cab, short bed, bench seat, 305ci, 3 speed in the floor.

But these screens are how data is being presented these days, thanks to the iPad generation driving now. I dont like it any more than you do, but wanting to go back is like wanting to start your engine with a crank out the front. Even Chevy seems to be abandoning the column shifter, and good luck finding a new truck that shifts into 4x4 with a shifter on the floor.

So, yes. Dodge will offer a bigger screen in a year or two. That's just the way it is I guess

Reactions: 9Mike2

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Looks like Chevy is going to be releasing a ZR2 version of the Silverado for the 2022 year. Do you think it’ll have a solid place in overlanding /will you be getting one?

I’m personally not sure how to feel about this yet. But once/if it gets officially announced today, I’ll update this with my thoughts. As a Chevy guy that stopped loving Chevy after 2015, I wish they would be more quality focused,listen to the people, and stop having people design trucks that obviously don’t own them(see electronic shifter in interior pic). Hopefully (realistically, I doubt it) this might change things a little.
I'm 100% with you: total disappointment and I fall further "out of love" with Chevy. The first car I drove was a '84 Chevy Cavalier... okay that's nothing special but it never, ever, ever let me down. Then the first car I bought was a '72 Camaro RS. It was a rusted mess, but I loved it. The first *nice* car I bought was a '99 Z/28 Camaro (used in 2000, when I was 18) with the LS1 and six speed stick. Then I had a '02 Z06 and I still have my '11 Duramax truck. I had a nice '67 Camaro for a while too (looked "stock" but had modern suspension and a LS2/T56). Of late Chevy does nothing for me.

Back on topic, the ZR2 is just "too little". It doesn't have the good looks of the Colorado ZR2. It doesn't have the performance of either a TRX or Raptor. The interior finally got a bigger screen, but still looks way too plastic and way behind RAM and Ford. IDK... there's just nothing about it that makes me interested...

-TJ

Reactions: 9Mike2