• HTML tutorial

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

Hey guys!

I bought a new 2021 F-150 XLT 5.0L V8 4x4.
I will be building it up some for mild off-road/overland use. I do photo/video for a variety of clients in the outdoors/firearms industry and drive to a lot of events that are off the beaten path.

Below are some questions about modifications, but here is the stock truck I got last week:
DSC06345.jpg
DSC06354.jpg

Current modification plans:
Lift/Level:
I have a 2" spacer leveling kit being installed Monday. This will be until I decide on a full suspension upgrade down the road. Any suggestions? I don't want more than 2.5-3" lift.
Because of the towing package, it has a 3.5" rake. I think leaving 1.5" will be good because I will be hauling quite a bit of gear for the different events I cover and content I create for my clients.

Bumpers:
I have been looking around and don't see much for the 2021's. I see a few offerings from Fab Fours, ADD, Warn, and Barricade.
I most likely won't do a winch to save weight since most of my driving will be highway miles.
I will do front and rear bumpers.

Tires:
I have 17" wheels and want to keep it that way. I plan on running 33" tires when I replace these. I had BF Goodrich All Terrains on my previous truck (2WD '06 Tundra).
They were good tires, but do you guys have any recommendations for alternatives that I should look at? I hear good things about the Toyo Open Country.
Keep in mind I will be doing a lot of highway traveling so I don't want a super loud tire.

Bed Cover:
I have a Diamondback HD cover on order and will probably use something like the Builtright Industries panels for some bed organization and extra fuel.
I am considering adding a Front Runner rack on top of it for when I need extra gear/storage capabilities.

Off-Road Lighting:
I am currently researching and see mostly Rigid & Baja Designs leading the way. I don't need MASSIVE power, but added light for some of these events would be nice.
For instance, for one ultra-marathon I film, I have to travel a few miles on a winding mild to very rough fire road through the mountains to get from one access point to another. I run this
road 15 or more times during the event with quite a few of those being throughout the night. I'm always in a hurry and probably going faster than I should...lol.
What suggestions do you guys have for a reasonable budget. I am thinking some cubes and a light bar on the bumper, maybe some ditch lights.
Also, rear mounted cubes would be great for getting turned around in the woods so I can see the rocks and trees better. I'm totally new to these, so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Lighting Controls:
What type of controller would you guys suggest?

If you guys have any other suggestions or advice I would love to hear them. This is my first time modifying a truck like this and I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Hey guys!

I will be building it up some for mild off-road/overland use. I do photo/video for a variety of clients in the outdoors/firearms industry and drive to a lot of events that are off the beaten path.

Below are some questions about modifications, but here is the stock truck I got last week:
View attachment 222684
View attachment 222685

Lift/Level:
I have a 2" spacer leveling kit being installed Monday. This will be until I decide on a full suspension upgrade down the road. Any suggestions? I don't want more than 2.5-3" lift.
Because of the towing package, it has a 3.5" rake. I think leaving 1.5" will be good because I will be hauling quite a bit of gear for the different events I cover and content I create for my clients.

****A 2in SUSPENSION IS BASIC ON THIS TRUCKS WHILE MAINTAIN SOME RAKE FOR WHEN YOU ARE TOWING, YOU STILL GAINING SOME GROUND CLEARANCE.

Bumpers:
I have been looking around and don't see much for the 2021's. I see a few offerings from Fab Fours, ADD, Warn, and Barricade.
I most likely won't do a winch to save weight since most of my driving will be highway miles.

****WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE BUMBERS IF YOU WANT TO SAVE WEIGHT?

Tires:
I have 17" wheels and want to keep it that way. I plan on running 33" tires when I replace these. I had BF Goodrich All Terrains on my previous truck (2WD '06 Tundra).
They were good tires, but do you guys have any recommendations for alternatives that I should look at? I hear good things about the Toyo Open Country.
Keep in mind I will be doing a lot of highway traveling so I don't want a super loud tire.

****WITH 2IN LIFT YOU CAN FIT A TALLER/WIDER TIRE. LOOK FOR METRIC SIZES, YOU WILL PERFORM AND LOOK BETTER WHILE GAINING SOME GROUND CLEARANCE BETTER THAN A 33IN. I WILL BE MOUNTING MID 34IN WITH JUST OVER 2IN LIFT.

Bed Cover:
I have a Diamondback HD cover on order and will probably use something like the Builtright Industries panels for some bed organization and extra fuel.
I am considering adding a Front Runner rack on top of it for when I need extra gear/storage capabilities.

***THOSE DIAMONDBACK ARE NICE, GOOD CHOICE.

Off-Road Lighting:
I am currently researching and see mostly Rigid & Baja Designs leading the way. I don't need MASSIVE power, but added light for some of these events would be nice.
For instance, for one ultra-marathon I film, I have to travel a few miles on a winding mild to very rough fire road through the mountains to get from one access point to another. I run this
road 15 or more times during the event with quite a few of those being throughout the night. I'm always in a hurry and probably going faster than I should...lol.
What suggestions do you guys have for a reasonable budget. I am thinking some cubes and a light bar on the bumper, maybe some ditch lights.
Also, rear mounted cubes would be great for getting turned around in the woods so I can see the rocks and trees better. I'm totally new to these, so I am open to any and all suggestions.

****I GOT NOTHING HERE, NOT YET....

Lighting Controls:

If you guys have any other suggestions or advice I would love to hear them. This is my first time modifying a truck like this and I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Hope this ☝help...the coyote have a nice rumble with cat back exhaust.....just saying....

Reactions: RdgRnr

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I'm also currently working on my 21 F150 build. Been waiting for suspension parts for months, but started with a few items already. I think it is a great platform (have had a JKUR, 4Runner, Tundra) and am super excited about the F150.

Binema

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fairfax, VA
First Name
Bach
Last Name
Duong
Hey guys!

View attachment 222684
View attachment 222685

Lift/Level:

Bumpers:

Tires:

Bed Cover:

Off-Road Lighting:

Lighting Controls:

Thanks!
Nice! Was going to get one of these but got a deal on my silverado that i couldn't say no to.

For lighting I'm finding that Diode Dynamics makes some great lights for the price and they have a lot of comparisons online with baja and others. I think my plan is to go with those and a trigger 6 shooter controller in the near future.

Looking forward to following this build!

Reactions: RdgRnr

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

Thanks guys!

So far, I've gotten the Rough Country 2" lift and Diamondback HD Cover installed. Both have been awesome. The ride quality hasn't changed from adding the leveling kit, still smooth: and the HD cover is awesome. Locks up great, looks great, and I'm loving it for work.

A couple of quick photos, post HD cover install and then one out at the property working on a few things getting ready to start building my new house.

IMG_0043 copy.jpg

IMG_0057 copy.jpg

Can't wait to get some more work done on the truck. I'm definitely going to get a Front Runner or Yakima rack system that's made to work with the Diamondback cover. That way I can have easy access for things when out working on the farm, but also have room for a RTT when we head out into the wilderness.

I'm still looking at bumper/winch options. To keep from having to cut a brand new truck, I may do the Rough Country EXO winch mount system for now. Also, I've decided on BF Goodrich AT's when I do upgrade the tires.
I had them on my Tundra and they worked great, especially for all the highway traveling I do.

I have a BOSS Strongbox coming for the back seat and am configuring a Builtright Industries system for the bed. I will most likely get a Cargoglide tray for the bed as well.

So many things to do/get, haha. I'm definitely doing a lot of research and trying to get the best bang for my buck. I don't mind spending good money as long as it's on a quality product that will last me.

RdgRnr

Rank I

Contributor III

It's been a while since I've posted, work has been CRAZY. I've put 6,700 miles on this truck since Feb...lol.

Here's the latest setup...she's changed a bit, lol

DSC03921.jpg

DSC03944.jpg

The truck as it sits so far:
Rough Country Vertex 3” Lift, EXO Winch Mount System/Lighting and 12,000 Pound Winch (I will be switching to a synthetic line soon)
Toyo 285/75R17 Open Country AT III Tires
Builtright Industries Stubby Antenna
Diamondback HD Cover
Front Runner Diamondback Crossbar System

What do you guys think of the Trigger Six Shooter lighting control unit? I would love to have the ability to hook up lights and not have to tear my dash apart to run cables.