Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Starting up this thread as I begin to accumulate mods and additions for my Trail Boss.

Just took her out on her first overland this past weekend (link to that thread to come) but felt it was finally the right time to start taking pictures and posting about her. This christening voyage is also how she got her name, Falka, as I punched on the OB emblem on Hawksbill Summit Trailhead. (Hoping someone picks up on my nerding out there)

My ultimate goal is to have her looking like a Pre-runner build that has the capability to reach where the Mid-Sized can with loads only Full-Sized can carry.
Feel free to leave recommendations, tips, and tricks (and maybe photos of your rigs too) to help inspire this novice and point me in the right direction.

InkedIMG_2368_LI.jpg

Right now this is how she sits:
Stock 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss Crew Cab, 4.3l V6
2" inch lift kit
Rugged Cover Trifold Tonneau
2x Scosche Mounts for holding an Amazon 10 Fire tablet loaded with Topo Maps
Scosche NEXS1 Dash Cam
Hi-Lift 60in Black Jack
5gal Jerry Can
Random assortment of cargo nets and ratchets for gear securing, tow strap
2x 108qt Plano boxes and a Front Runner Wolf Pack for personal gear.

Coming Soon:
Barricade Off-Road Front Bumper with LEDs and Skid Plate
Coverking Premium dual tone leather seat coverings
Off-Road Z-71 emblems and a black Silverado badge
All Black Trail Boss and Overland logos
Black Custom Badge for behind the OB badge
5th Wheel/Tire for spare use
Jerry can mount

Later Plans:
MAX Modular Steel Max 10" Bed Rac
(Some Company) Rolling, steel, lockable and in-line Tonneau cover
iKamper Skycamp Mini
Addictive Desert Designs Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper
Dual Straight Exhaust Pipes (Would attach to the bumper for better clearance)
N-Fab RKR Rails with Driver and Passenger Side Steps
2x KC Flex LED Dual lights for the rear hood
Some form of awning (90-270 degree)

Maybe:
Blacked out Headlights and Taillights
Putco Blade Tailgate Brake Light
KC Gravity Pro6 Light Bar (roof mount)
Window tinting
Re-color or wrap to a slate/charcoal gray

Here's a few other views (and mishaps that occurred)
IMG_2376.jpgIMG_2469.jpgIMG_2424.jpgIMG_2425.jpg

Last edited:

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Also forgot to mention that I have a 13” stubby antenna on the way and eventually will be getting a HAM radio and license (down the road post-Navy)

Reactions: RoarinRow

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Following. I recently took my 2019 Trail Boss on it's first couple exploring/camping trips this month.

You added a 2" lift to the stock 3" lift that comes with the TB?

What size tires do you have? Mine are the stock 18" although yours look bigger. The tires seem undersized on my rig, I guess because of the factory 3" lift?

Looking forward to following your build!

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Looking good! I've got a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8, z71 4x4. I've got the Max Modular rack, and I have loved it.
Not gonna lie, your use of the Max Modular is what made me decide on it for my rack haha, saw your truck elsewhere in some Silverado threads. Big fan of it and your uses for it.

Reactions: JButtress

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Following. I recently took my 2019 Trail Boss on it's first couple exploring/camping trips this month.

You added a 2" lift to the stock 3" lift that comes with the TB?

What size tires do you have? Mine are the stock 18" although yours look bigger. The tires seem undersized on my rig, I guess because of the factory 3" lift?

Looking forward to following your build!
They stated mine came with a 2” lift at the dealership, not certain honestly if they didn’t know or I misheard so I’ll have to drag out the paperwork after work. I’ve got 18s on mine as well, so might like larger due to a smaller lift? I’ll investigate and let you know, thanks for the interest and I’ll be watching out for more from you too!

Enthusiast I

AZ
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Perez
Hey guys - Love your trucks!

As an FYI - the factory lift is 2" straight from the website. Honestly, I think it's the perfect height as is, but I rarely do anything (yet) where I need more ground clearance.

Reactions: Iceman.Actual

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Hey guys - Love your trucks!

As an FYI - the factory lift is 2" straight from the website. Honestly, I think it's the perfect height as is, but I rarely do anything (yet) where I need more ground clearance.
Agreed, I picked up a prerunner bumper (on its way) for more clearance on the front end due to the chunk taken out during the last run, but no lift needed to be addressed from that. I’m definitely going to get more flush rock sliders and the mounted exhaust system to give more room on the under carriage, but will need to install skids for it as well once the current guards get more tucked away.

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to comment and say how happy I am to see other people using their Silverado’s as OB rigs. I picked up a barebones 2019 RWD 1500 that I plan on turning into a quality OB rig over the next few years. You guys are my inspiration to make it happen! Right now all I’ve done is put a 2” leveling kit on mine just to do away with the rake, and added all terrain tires. I want to add a rear LSD to help get me wherever I want to go first, but then I’m trying to decide on a rack or cap next. Any suggestions between the two?

Enthusiast I

AZ
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Perez
Agreed, I picked up a prerunner bumper (on its way) for more clearance on the front end due to the chunk taken out during the last run, but no lift needed to be addressed from that. I’m definitely going to get more flush rock sliders and the mounted exhaust system to give more room on the under carriage, but will need to install skids for it as well once the current guards get more tucked away.
Can’t wait to see the bumper installed!

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Not so fancy 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with a V8. Looking for suggestions. Roommate who does a lot of backcountry stuff suggested Bilstein 5100 shocks to give me higher clearance. Not looking for anything super heavy duty, but practical ways to improve for overloading. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

Not so fancy 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with a V8. Looking for suggestions. Roommate who does a lot of backcountry stuff suggested Bilstein 5100 shocks to give me higher clearance. Not looking for anything super heavy duty, but practical ways to improve for overloading. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
I haven’t even begun to delve into aftermarket hardware and internals yet as mine is still so young (and I want to save a little bit of my paycheck). Being an HD you actually have a few more options on modularity though from what I’ve seen, but everything is dictated by what you want to do. I’m sure as I learn more I’ll be providing feedback here!

Update on my rig:
The shipping company called yesterday when I was at the summit of Old Rag so obviously no set up happened then for delivery but I’m assuming I’ll have it by the end of the week, super stoked.

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I just threw my Road Armor Spartan bumper on over the weekend and it allows for soooo much clearance, added with a 2" ReadyLift ontop of the stock TrailBoss lift, I was able to get 35". Makes the stock running boards look outa place so N-Fab Slidders coming soon lol.

Iceman.Actual

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Payton
Last Name
DeMay
Member #

I just threw my Road Armor Spartan bumper on over the weekend and it allows for soooo much clearance, added with a 2" ReadyLift ontop of the stock TrailBoss lift, I was able to get 35". Makes the stock running boards look outa place so N-Fab Slidders coming soon lol.
I cannot stress how much I am fangirling over the NFAB sliders. I’m thinking about only rocking the front pair of steps during daily drive and taking them off during off-roading fun. Please post a link to your build so I can drool over it.

Enthusiast III

Carol Stream, IL, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I cannot stress how much I am fangirling over the NFAB sliders. I’m thinking about only rocking the front pair of steps during daily drive and taking them off during off-roading fun. Please post a link to your build so I can drool over it.
Haha thanks man, Heres a link to a post on a thread I started awhile back, just uploaded some new pics.

For real I'm going to be doing the same thing, only rocking the steps for daily out and about, then off for the trails.