Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Greetings OB team. I want to see how many members are planning to head to Flagstaff in may for the Expo. I've never been and have a fun side business so I wanted to get some feedback from other OB members who have sold product at the expo. I'm curious on if it was a break even event for you or a money maker and what product or service you're selling and any tips for those of us who haven't been a vendor at the expo.

I'm also wondering if another small business would want to go in on a 15x15 space to split it if that sort of thing is doable.

Thanks for any insight and experience you can share !!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would say the challenge now is where would your space be even located? Companies book these way in advance. Your location will greatly determine potential sales. It is such a huge event. If your product is not already known that also makes it more difficult. The Saturday only folks tend to be very tactical. They map out what they want to see because the venue is so big and time is limited. That doesn't mean folks don't stop by random booths. We all do that but when time is limited visiting the booths in the main areas comes first. Nothing worse than the "Oh you were at Expo this year? I didn't see you" comments.

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I would say the challenge now is where would your space be even located? Companies book these way in advance. Your location will greatly determine potential sales. It is such a huge event. If your product is not already known that also makes it more difficult. The Saturday only folks tend to be very tactical. They map out what they want to see because the venue is so big and time is limited. That doesn't mean folks don't stop by random booths. We all do that but when time is limited visiting the booths in the main areas comes first. Nothing worse than the "Oh you were at Expo this year? I didn't see you" comments.
Thanks for the experienced feedback. Given the whole pandemic thing I suspect we'd be better off waiting and doing a smaller local event to test the waters.

Happy Camping
Hans S

BritKLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

It’s an amazing event for a small overland/expo company. We been attending since 2014/Mormon Lake when the venders area was the size of a large parking lot to the monster it’s become. We currently do about a dozen events around the US including OE West, OE East and the new OE Rocky Mountain. Our company, Adventure Tool Company is a US/Colorado made soft goods/textile company that produces waxed canvas textile gear for the off-road industry. Customers generally know what they want and are willing to spend their hard earned money On what they want and quality goods. They do like the traditonal gear by the brand names but, they also are looking for the unique cutting edge gear aswell. Customers are incredibly loyal, knowledgeable, experienced and looking for value. It’s more like a giant family event with people we’ve known for years and making new friends every event. They generally don’t appreciate hard sales types or BS. I’ve seen countless companies come and go in the last 6 years due to poor products or bad behavior towards the people we‘re there to serve. Good luck.

Last edited:

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
It’s an amazing event for a small overland/expo company. They do like the traditonal gear by the brand names but, they also are looking for the unique cutting edge gear aswell. Customers are incredibly loyal and looking for value. It’s more like a giant family event with people we’ve known for years and making new friends every event. They generally don’t appreciate hard sales types or BS. I’ve seen countless companies come and go in the last 6 years due to poor products or bad behavior towards the people were there to serve. Good luck.
These are some very good points. We went last year to Flagstaff and look forward to going this year. It was a fun relaxing event almost like wondering around in a flea market for hours...

I imagine you are already aware the event has been rescheduled to July..

Reactions: BritKLR

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

It’s an amazing event for a small overland/expo company. We been attending since 2014/Mormon Lake when the venders area the size of a large parking lot to the monster it’s become. Our company, Adventure Tool Company is a soft goods/textile company that produces waxed canvas textile gear for the off-road industry. Customers generally know what they want and are willing to spend their hard earned money. They do like the traditonal gear by the brand names but, they also are looking for the unique cutting edge gear aswell. Customers are incredibly loyal and looking for value. It’s more like a giant family event with people we’ve known for years and making new friends every event. They generally don’t appreciate hard sales types or BS. I’ve seen countless companies come and go in the last 6 years due to poor products or bad behavior towards the people were there to serve. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your insight! I definitely will join the party as things settle down.

stay safe and have fun.

BritKLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

These are some very good points. We went last year to Flagstaff and look forward to going this year. It was a fun relaxing event almost like wondering around in a flea market for hours...

I imagine you are already aware the event has been rescheduled to July..
Thanks! We are and already committed to attending! Looking forward too it after all this crazines.

BKD Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palm Desert, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Border
Member #

I was totally looking forward to expo this year, but found out today it has been canceled for the year 2020.

See you next year