haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hey everyone. Finally got around to doing the first bigger mod to my f150. I have been off-roading and camping for years, have gone through a few trucks, but this one i think is here to stay. Every year of my life we have typically gone u =p to our cabin in northern quebec, which involves a decent amount of off roading to get to where we are. That built my love off off roading, camping, and exploring in general. Hopefully we make it this year with the border shut downs, but if not hopefully we can do some overlanding here in the states.

Here is the start of the mods, and more to follow!

2019 f150 fx4 xlt
3.5 ecoboost
max to package

We took this truck up last year and i did awesome on the dirt roads, logging roads, nd ATV trails I took it through. Really liking it over my old ram without lockers. Only mod then was the ditch lights. Nice, but not nearly as good as the old lightbar i had on my last truck.

Finally got around to getting the Bilstein 6100/5160 suspension done today. Definitely harder then i originally expected, but its finally done. A word to the wise, have a shop with a proper spring compressor put the struts together...

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

Hopefully wheels and tires are next. Really liking some method roost in bronze or possibly some Icon compression i bronze with some 34" tires.

So much more to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traxx and Raul B

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
So far with only the short drive i took after install to make sure everything was good, these seem to feel better then stock as well. And that's comparing it to the OEM struts/springs that only had 15,000 miles on them. The rear end feels a lot more solid over rough roads/bounces at speed.

Landsat8

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hey everyone. Finally got around to doing the first bigger mod to my f150. I have been off-roading and camping for years, have gone through a few trucks, but this one i think is here to stay. Every year of my life we have typically gone u =p to our cabin in northern quebec, which involves a decent amount of off roading to get to where we are. That built my love off off roading, camping, and exploring in general. Hopefully we make it this year with the border shut downs, but if not hopefully we can do some overlanding here in the states.

Here is the start of the mods, and more to follow!

2019 f150 fx4 xlt
2.5 ecoboost
max to package

We took this truck up last year and i did awesome on the dirt roads, logging roads, nd ATV trails I took it through. Really liking it over my old ram without lockers. Only mod then was the ditch lights. Nice, but not nearly as good as the old lightbar i had on my last truck.

Finally got around to getting the Bilstein 6100/5160 suspension done today. Definitely harder then i originally expected, but its finally done. A word to the wise, have a shop with a proper spring compressor put the struts together...

View attachment 159382

View attachment 159384

Hopefully wheels and tires are next. Really liking some method roost in bronze or possibly some Icon compression i bronze with some 34" tires.

So much more to come.
I was under the impression that the max tow package was only available on the 3.5 ecoboost. Mine did not come with any tow package but I have since added a class IV hitch, OEM brake controller, wiring harness, aux transmission cooler, HD sway bar, and everything else that the Max tow package comes with sans the 36 gallon fuel tank and rear bumper.

I also echo your experience with bilstein 6112’s. I tried putting the strut towers together at home with spring compressors but had no luck. I ended up taking them to a local shop who did them for me for $20 in 10 minutes.

Reactions: haaken675

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I was under the impression that the max tow package was only available on the 3.5 ecoboost. Mine did not come with any tow package but I have since added a class IV hitch, OEM brake controller, wiring harness, aux transmission cooler, HD sway bar, and everything else that the Max tow package comes with sans the 36 gallon fuel tank and rear bumper.

I also echo your experience with bilstein 6112’s. I tried putting the strut towers together at home with spring compressors but had no luck. I ended up taking them to a local shop who did them for me for $20 in 10 minutes.
Mine is a 3.5. I'm sure i probably lose some towing capacity with the new suspensions, but i don't think you should really be towing 10,000+ pounds with a half ton, lol. The gearing however i think are great for off roading. Looking forward to trying the new suspension in a week or two taking it back up to ocala national. I had it there 1 week after purchase towing dune buggies up for memorial weekend. We broke both of them and spent more time off roading the truck, lol...

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Finally pulled the trigger. Made an extra sale and the wife gave the go ahead on new wheels and tires. Waiting on a set of bronze method roost wheels and 285/75r17 K02's. Very much looking forward to getting these on the truck!

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
New tires came in today! This was one of the hardest choices I have had to make in a while. There are so many subjective reviews of soooo many tires. I just went with the KO2's as they seem to have the best reviews all around and were available. Went with 285/75r17's, so a 34" tire. Can't wait to get my method roost wheels in soon!

new tires came in.jpg

Reactions: Maverick9110E

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
New tires came in today! This was one of the hardest choices I have had to make in a while. There are so many subjective reviews of soooo many tires. I just went with the KO2's as they seem to have the best reviews all around and were available. Went with 285/75r17's, so a 34" tire. Can't wait to get my method roost wheels in soon!

View attachment 162137
Solid choice. Be interested to see ow you like them. I always had the regular KO's over the years but i've heard mixed reviews on the KO 2's.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Solid choice. Be interested to see ow you like them. I always had the regular KO's over the years but i've heard mixed reviews on the KO 2's.
Hopefully I'll be getting a chance to test them out properly n a few weeks. Just waiting for my wheels to hopefully ship this week as we are planning on running the Georgia Traverse mid August. I have a feeling it's going to be wet if the radar is an indication lately, so that may be a good test.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Nice. Great truck to start overlanding. Only negative I've seen is the pin striping since the F-150 is so big, but I'm over those at this point.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Hoping my wheels finally ship...It's been about a month at this point...

I'm hoping since the color is light enough Pin Striping won't be as big of an issue. Got away without really scratching up my 2015 Ram that was black, so i'm hoping I can manage with this one. Definitely considering a wrap at some point. I just love this color though.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I'm thinking its going to look good on the abyss grey paint. I already have planned bronze wheels for my e92 335i now as well :sweatsmile:

The big debate now is bed cap or not...I never thought i would be debating space with a modern pickup, but with 1 toddler, another coming, 2 dogs, and all the related gear, I don't know how to fit everything in...And i live in florida, where half the year everything in the bed is likely to get wet...I just can't get pastthe old man stigma...

Reactions: TauberZahn1123

OVRLNDFX4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Erwin
Last Name
Namoc
I was going to run the bronze MR12's but only got black because the dealership where i got my truck ended "comping" me two wheels for a screw up they did and at that moment they only had black. Black goes with anything and im happy but the bronze would have gave it a different look altogether. In the end im happy. And im running a tonneau cover only to keep prying eyes from luggage. Thats pretty much the only reason. Im looking at the Retrax cover as it retracts backwards but you do loose about a foot or less of storage capacity.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

View attachment 162137
Takes picture of tires with "Don't tread on me" flag in the background. I see what you did there.

Reactions: haaken675

Traveler I

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Boyd
I am in a similar situation with family size. Are the dogs in the cab? If so, how cramped does it feel? I am looking into purchasing a rig in the coming months and been trying to decide between a 150 or 250 equivalent.

Like the new tires and rims btw.