Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Starting my build thread for my full-size rig.This is going to be a slow build as I got to do this piece by piece due to funds (although this forums don't really help that with all the inspiration). My truck started off as a 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Lariat. This was my first new car in over 13 years, and also my first automatic and man in CA I realized how nice it is to have an automatic in traffic.
Full Stock.jpeg

After messing with a tonneau cover for awhile, I decided to begin to start working on my build. My main goal is a capable camper that can go on most modest off-road trails. I know this will never be a hardcore off-road vehicle with it being a full-size, but I want to make sure it will hold its own. The next stage was a X-Cover RTT on a Leitner Design rack. I decided on the Leitner rack because I love its modularity and the great quality of their product. Also bought two Gearpods, one to hold a basic tool kit while the other held my SAR K9 gear. I also bought an awning from another local company, Overland Vehicle Systems. Great awning and I've used it more than any other item so far. Quick setup and no worry on setting down poles even in moderate winds.

Stage 1.jpeg

Now, I'm onto Stage 2 of my plan. I added Bilstein 5100 shocks to lift the truck to make sure it could fit my new wheels and tires. I settled on KMC KM717 17' Wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3W P285/70R17. I also added a XL Gearpod (to hold personal bags/ sleeping system) and 2 additional Gearpods to hold recovery gear.
Stage 2 XL.jpeg
Stage 2 Pods.jpeg

The next step is to add some work light to the side of the truck, get rid of all of the chrome, and add some skid plates underneath. Ending this first post with an obligatory picture of the pup.
Dog pic.jpeg

Attachments

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Nice build! Does your dog use the ladder or does he/she get a lift to get in?
She is only 50 lbs and I’m still youngish right now so she hops on my shoulder and I carry her in. Same on the way down.

eventually I may train her to climb a ladder or lay some mats on my hood and roof to let her run through the window.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

I have a similar setup (F150, Leitner, RTT (iKamper Skycamp)). A comment and a question:

1. Due to the relatively low dynamic weight limit of the Leitner rack offroad, I would not put anything heavy like tools on the gearpods personally.
2. I have a bedslide in the truck bed, which makes access very convenient.

IMG_1565 (4).jpg

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Oops - I forgot my question: How do you attach the traction boards to your gear pods?
I bought the MaxTrax XL Pod accessory. It works pretty well and gets it out of the way.

As for your previous post, I actually thought that the off road limit was for the load bars itself and not the whole rack system. However, if it actually means the whole rack system, then I am just over the 250 with the heaviest thing in the pod being a bottle jack. I'll keep an eye on it and may lighten the load a bit.

I was also switching to a Skycamp or similar hard cover RTT, but may have to reconsider.

I have a bedrug in the back of my truck and like that in a pinch it is a comfortable place to crash, but have been looking at a bedside for convenience.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Small little upgrade. Put the Overland Bound badge onto the truck. There is a perfect spot on the class Leitner Design rack at the back of the truck.

IMG_3928.jpg

Reactions: Narwhal

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Quick update. I was able to sell my X-Cover and find a good deal on a Skycamp 2.0 Rocky Black. Installed it on the truck and it looks great! Immediately saw an increase in mpg, but will probably confirm with the next full gas tank. Can't wait for this quarantine to end so I can go camping again.

IMG_4009.jpeg

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Came home from work to my new Dometic CFX3 55IM on my front porch. REI had their annual 20% member's coupon, and with the dividends I built up, it came out at a pretty good price. Just fits in the back passenger side so I still have 4 people in the truck. Can't wait for this quarantine to end to put it to the test. Now debating whether to flip the lid opening on it so I can leave the fridge in the truck but still access from the outside.

IMG_4018.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Needed a project since we are stuck in quarantine, so I installed the Midland MXT275 with the lip mount and 3db gain ghost antenna. Overall, install was straight-forward, but still took awhile. I put the antenna on the driver side hood and routed the wire through the large rubber grommet on the driver side. That was the part that took the longest as the grommet was very tight (you are also working at an odd angle). I routed the wire under the Weathertech mat behind the pedals, on the side of the center console, and then under the seat.

IMG_4063.jpeg

I drilled a hole through the side of the armrest, took apart the armrest and drilled into the center console. I like it that I can keep it hidden in the center console until I need it, and then I can bring it out and mount on the Nite Ize Steelie mount.

IMG_4062.jpeg
IMG_4059.jpeg

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Quick little update. Added an RJ45 ethernet connector to my coin tray and connected an ethernet cord from the connector to the base unit. Now I just open up the arm rest, plug in the mic to the connector, and close it for a nice clean look.

IMG_4072.jpeg

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
How does the truck do off road? I traded my '15 ram for a '19 fx4 crew cab primarily for the locker. The 3.5 ecoboost wasn't a bad upgrade either :). I have taken the truck down some dirt roads, ran to our cabin in Canada, but haven't done any camping/real off-roading in it yet. I love seeing a newer overland style build!

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

How does the truck do off road? I traded my '15 ram for a '19 fx4 crew cab primarily for the locker. The 3.5 ecoboost wasn't a bad upgrade either :). I have taken the truck down some dirt roads, ran to our cabin in Canada, but haven't done any camping/real off-roading in it yet. I love seeing a newer overland style build!
Haven't had a real hard off road test yet. Just some wash boards and fire roads. I have a couple of trips planned pretty soon if the quarantine is lifted to test the truck out.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Haven't had a real hard off road test yet. Just some wash boards and fire roads. I have a couple of trips planned pretty soon if the quarantine is lifted to test the truck out.
Same situation i'm in. Done some moderate off raoding on fire roads and some muddy/wet logging trails leading to the lake for our cabin, but haven't done the real off-roading test yet. Definitely going to follow for updates.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Went on a moderate off-road trail today and the F-150 did well. The trail had ruts, rocks, lots of off-camber, and some steeps hills. Being a full-size, I couldn't go to too crazy of things, but overall it did well. Only locked the diffs on one area and for the most part stayed in 4H. 4L did well on the steep ascents. Be prepared for tons of pin striping but it was a good time.
IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4174.jpeg
IMG_4178.jpeg

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Decided to relocate the rear diff breather to the engine bay. Turns out, Ford either forgot to install the axle vent onto the end of the tube or it somehow fell out. I put an adaptor for a 1/4" line that came with the ARB breather kit I bought (granted overpriced, but well built). Glad I decided to do this as I'm planning to do the Mojave Road in the near future. Now debating if I want to take the effort to find the transmission and transfer case breathers and bring it up to the engine bay. Front diff is already up there as well.

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4222.jpeg

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

Starting my build thread for my full-size rig.This is going to be a slow build as I got to do this piece by piece due to funds (although this forums don't really help that with all the inspiration). My truck started off as a 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost Lariat. This was my first new car in over 13 years, and also my first automatic and man in CA I realized how nice it is to have an automatic in traffic.
View attachment 142573

After messing with a tonneau cover for awhile, I decided to begin to start working on my build. My main goal is a capable camper that can go on most modest off-road trails. I know this will never be a hardcore off-road vehicle with it being a full-size, but I want to make sure it will hold its own. The next stage was a X-Cover RTT on a Leitner Design rack. I decided on the Leitner rack because I love its modularity and the great quality of their product. Also bought two Gearpods, one to hold a basic tool kit while the other held my SAR K9 gear. I also bought an awning from another local company, Overland Vehicle Systems. Great awning and I've used it more than any other item so far. Quick setup and no worry on setting down poles even in moderate winds.

View attachment 142574

Now, I'm onto Stage 2 of my plan. I added Bilstein 5100 shocks to lift the truck to make sure it could fit my new wheels and tires. I settled on KMC KM717 17' Wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3W P285/70R17. I also added a XL Gearpod (to hold personal bags/ sleeping system) and 2 additional Gearpods to hold recovery gear.
View attachment 142576
View attachment 142578

The next step is to add some work light to the side of the truck, get rid of all of the chrome, and add some skid plates underneath. Ending this first post with an obligatory picture of the pup.
View attachment 142579

Man it looks nice to be out there!

Reactions: PonoAdventures

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Today's project was to install my RCI aluminum skid plates. Overall build quality is very nice, though instructions could be more clear for the bracket install. Overall the install was pretty easy, although I spend an hour trying to get one 10M speed nut onto the frame (their speed nuts are very sturdy!). If you don't have a lift, I recommend using some traction boards or something to get some extra room down there. Very tight fit with the crawler and if I didn't use my MaxxTraxx it would have been a lot more difficult.

Stock protection (pretty much felt protection):
IMG_4223.jpeg

RCI SkidPlates (Engine, Transmission, and Transfer Case):
IMG_2899.jpeg

Using MaxxTrax to help:
IMG_2117.jpeg

Fully Installed:
IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Day1 and .30 Al