2017 Dual Cab 6' Tacoma RTT/Canopy Question

• HTML tutorial

Atomic Canuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

British Columbia, Canada
Member #

I have a 2017 Taco, double cab with the 6' box. I also have a ARB RTT that I want to mount. My question is about Canopy's and weight distribution.

Most LEER, A.R.E and Snugtop are rated for around 150# dynamic and 300# static weight. My tent is 150# and I push the scales at approx 230#. I am all for pushing the limits of a product but I don't want to spend 2000-4000 dollars kitting out and then get my fat a$% up there only to have it crack.

Also, I need a canopy and not just a bed frame. I travel with 3 dogs and the deck of the truck is being fitted with drawer system. Canopy is the best option for me, but I am very open for other opinion and options. And no, getting rid of the dogs isn't one of them.

So what are people using? What brands? What options?

I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked and answered before or if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Best
Todd

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I have an autohome airtop rtt on a Yakima rack mounted to a snugtop rebel Sportsmans edition. The Sportsmans edition has a double thick roof with a 500lb capacity. It's worked great over the last two years.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Will Macia

Atomic Canuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

British Columbia, Canada
Member #

I have an autohome airtop rtt on a Yakima rack mounted to a snugtop rebel Sportsmans edition. The Sportsmans edition has a double thick roof with a 500lb capacity. It's worked great over the last two years.

Interesting information. Thanks Lintnercorey! I was researching Snugtop but didn't see any capacity information other than their Outback model which I don't want. I will give the local dealer a call.

ChaseIt

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sacramento
Member #

I have a 2017 Taco, double cab with the 6' box. I also have a ARB RTT that I want to mount. My question is about Canopy's and weight distribution.

Most LEER, A.R.E and Snugtop are rated for around 150# dynamic and 300# static weight. My tent is 150# and I push the scales at approx 230#. I am all for pushing the limits of a product but I don't want to spend 2000-4000 dollars kitting out and then get my fat a$% up there only to have it crack.

Also, I need a canopy and not just a bed frame. I travel with 3 dogs and the deck of the truck is being fitted with drawer system. Canopy is the best option for me, but I am very open for other opinion and options. And no, getting rid of the dogs isn't one of them.

So what are people using? What brands? What options?

I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked and answered before or if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Best
Todd
I have a Tacoma with a 5' bed and I had the same concerns. After hours of research between the ARE CX and Snugtop Rebel. I went with the Snugtop Rebel with the outdoorsman roof. It is a thicker honeycomb fiberglass that is rated at 500lbs (and they say that's a conservative number). I should be fine with putting a RTT on top of my topper with a good rack. Its on order and I hope it comes soon. They said it could take 4 weeks.

Atomic Canuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

British Columbia, Canada
Member #

Based on Lintnercorey's comments I contacted my local Snugtop dealer. I was losing hope that my RTT and hefty girth would result in a work stop and I would have to rethink my plans. However, the dealer confirms that pretty much all Snugtops if custom ordered come with a 500# min static load. Apparently the in stock units are the same but you won't get the load rating certification. The dealer said that they should be identical but if you want piece of mind, you should just order. So I am going to look and order one tomorrow.

What rack are you thinking of going with? I am thinking of the Front Runner slim line system. They seem to be great products.

Reactions: ChaseIt

ChaseIt

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sacramento
Member #

Based on Lintnercorey's comments I contacted my local Snugtop dealer. I was losing hope that my RTT and hefty girth would result in a work stop and I would have to rethink my plans. However, the dealer confirms that pretty much all Snugtops if custom ordered come with a 500# min static load. Apparently the in stock units are the same but you won't get the load rating certification. The dealer said that they should be identical but if you want piece of mind, you should just order. So I am going to look and order one tomorrow.

What rack are you thinking of going with? I am thinking of the Front Runner slim line system. They seem to be great products.
I like the FrontRunner as well as the Rhino Rack. Good Luck!!!

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Yes I did have to order mine. Fortunately they build them a few hours from me so I think I only had to wait about 2-3 weeks for mine. I got the optional electric lock that works off the factory key fob and is worth every penny, the Yakima rack that is good enough, and fold down front window for cleaning which I have never used. I think it was $3,400 with a small military discount. In hindsight I wish I would have got at least one windoor on the passenger side where my awning is and eventually I might add one. I am very pleased overall. The airtop rtt is probably about 150lbs with my bedding, I weigh about 260-275 that with my wife puts the weight a little over 500lbs and it has shown no signs of fatigue over the last couple years. I am going to add the total chaos bedside braces just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Atomic Canuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

British Columbia, Canada
Member #

You could go to a fabricator and have him make some bed bars that go inside the topper. Then you can bolt through the topper to the bed bars.
I think my problem is solved. Snugtop offers reinforced 500# rating toppers. But I do think your idea would have been a road that I would have had to go down. Thanks for the reply! Happy trails.

Reactions: ChaseIt