2012 Range Rover Sport

• HTML tutorial

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

After two years of stretching the limits of my little red Range Rover Evoque, I traded in for a 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Has everything I'd want except the factory locking rear diff (afaict very few were built with it).

The first owner has checked all the boxes on maintenance, so it's straight into mods. I'll be starting with tires once I figure out what will fit over the monster Supercharged brakes.

Dakeg218

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Hey Ivivier, good to see another rover being used like it should. I've been playing with rover for a while, nothing crazy, just trying to maximize their potential without overdoing it. With some effort I managed 32.8 on my lr3 and I have a good friend who has 31.7 on his RR sport. He went down a rim size (20 to 19) ground down the brake cooling fins about 1/4 and everything clears nicely.

I have the locking rear diff and it doesn't seem to make that much difference. I've owned both, the terrain response system makes up for it.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help where I can, or If you make it down to the NC area.

Reactions: lvivier

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

I ordered tires (Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/50R20, should be about 31.5") for the stock 20" wheels. Nittos are new to me, I had Cooper Zeon LTZs on the Evoque and they got crazy loud after about 20K. I'd like some input, but from what I've read going for > 32" tires on a Supercharged is a major hassle (new brakes, new wheels, lots of trimming).

I've also received my IIDTool in the mail.

Next up will be some underbody protection. Shipping things to Canada might get $$$ before this is over!

Reactions: Jimmy P

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
We had the nittos on my wife’s LR4 and got 62,000 miles on them. They did quite well in that time. Finally their real weakness showed as the side wall is short because of the 20inch rims and I got a sidewall puncture. But that was at 62,000 miles. They handled the off road stuff fine. Snow, mud, rocks, etc. Stayed pretty quiet the whole time. Just swapped to compo wheels and BFG KO2’s which are very quiet. Haven’t had the chance to take them off road but except them to be superior to the nittos as I used to run them on a pathfinder. Only swapped because the LR4 is becoming the family off roader and less of my wife’s daily driver.

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

I admit it's pretty comfortable but not too different from a Discovery/LR4. Yesterday I ordered a skid plate, EAS compressor plate, and rock sliders from Green Oval Experience. I'm expecting to wait at least a month for that stuff.

Have any LR/RR peeps tried tapping into the EAS tank for airing up tires, air tools, etc. as described on RangeRovers.net? Good idea/bad idea? I have a portable compressor already, just thinking on board air should be put to use.

I admit it's pretty comfortable but not too different from a Discovery/LR4. Yesterday I ordered a skid plate, EAS compressor plate, and rock sliders from Green Oval Experience. I'm expecting to wait at least a month for that stuff.

Have any LR/RR peeps tried tapping into the EAS tank for airing up tires, air tools, etc. as described on RangeRovers.net? Good idea/bad idea? I have a portable compressor already, just thinking on board air should be put to use.
I doubt it will work due to how the computer regulates air pressure depending on if you ask it to rise/lower and even the terrain would affect it. Also it is a closed loop so tapping into it would most likely cause the air suspension to drop or collapse. Any way why on earth are you taking such a nice car off road. Lol

I'm surprised it rides similar to the lr4, the LR4 I used to drive isn't even comparable to my Volvo

Kyle

Sent from my Jeeslus confusing phone using OB Talk mobile app

lvivier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver Island, Canada
Member #

Tires showed up, they're going on Saturday morning. I've done a few really minor tweaks: interior LEDs, stainless pedal covers, and removed the very weathered RANGE ROVER and SPORT badges from the tailgate while I wait for new ones.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I’ve seen at least four modern rover threads pop up recently. Loving it. RR Sport is very similar to an LR4 because they share platforms. only some minor differences.