Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
A couple years ago, I sold my '97 Acura Integra LS. I was fed up with it. I had owned it for 8 years and put tons of miles on it. I got really good at packing it as there was virtually no space in it. The final straw was it getting stolen and then recovered with a few less electronics in it. I spent a year searching for the next DD. I had enough and sold it. I drove a loaner fullsize pickup for 4-5 months and loved it. I was considering that as I could not seem to find a decent Subie within my budget. A friend of mine had let me drive his daily driven ZJ with a 2" lift, M/T's, and a bunch of other cool add-ons. I was hooked on a Jeep, but couldn't decide on which one I liked most. I was serious about a Wrangler-body style and was close to picking up a YJ a few times. I couldn't stand the lack of space after driving that truck all the time. I stumbled upon a used car lot with a TON of WJ's for sale. Most were in OK shape, some better than others. In the back of the lot, hiding, was this sand/gold colored 4.7 V8 powered beauty.
unnamed (4).jpg
She needed new shoes for sure and brakes were something to consider down the road. I gave her some nice 245/70/16's in a Yokohama Geolander A/TS flavor. I threw on new pads and rotors on all corners. I opted for a heavy duty setup with slotted and drilled rotors as I new I'd need the extra stopping power.
unnamed (5).jpg
As the stickers started accumulating, I knew I needed to set this apart from the other WJ's rolling around town of the same color. I also knew I needed some recovery points after a recent rescue of a friends trail rig from a mud pit. Fawkes Fab was the only place I could find with an aftermarket option while retaining the stock bumper. I wanted to add on some sort of grill/bumper guard and the bull bar relocation mounts with recovery points from Fawkes Fab seemed like the way to go. Back-ordered for ages, I went ahead and slapped on the Texas Hunter bull bar with the provided brackets.
unnamed (6).jpg
A friend gave me the little LED pods I had mounted on. While these were OK, they offered no real noticeable light. I opted to upgrade to some brighter, larger flood/spot mix bars.
unnamed (7).jpg
Quadratec came to the rescue with a nice Bluetooth Sony head unit, mount, and wiring harness so I didn't have to be stuck with just CD's and the radio. This came in handy on some of my longer road trips.

The Fawkes Fab kit installed. Complemented it with some red d-rings. Notice how it pushed the bull bar up to actually cover the grill and doesn't impede on ground clearance or approach angle
unnamed (10).jpg
I snagged a tow loop from a local farm and ranch store for the hitch receiver for a rear recovery point.
unnamed (9).jpg
My best friend picked up a Yakima LoadWarrior basket with two bike mounts and cargo bags for me. Such a good find for cheap!
unnamed (11).jpg
I took off the bike mounts as I have a nice Kuat NV to haul my bikes around on.
I have played around with mounting the spare on the rack, but it's a pain to get up there and back off. I am constantly trying to find ways to optimize the space in the back, but I think the spare will stay in the factory location. I have recently given a lot of thought to making this rig more sleep friendly. I made a slight modification to the rear seat cushion hinges by replacing the pins with removable ones, therefore increasing the space for someone of my height (6'1") to be able to sleep comfortably.
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (8).jpg
I'll probably fill in the gap with gear, but I can now sleep comfortably.

I'm waiting on a few odds and ends to begin my DIY awning, as well as some cargo area organization. I plan on throwing in a OME 1.5" lift for the drivability and handling improvements, upgrading to a better steering stabilizer, possibly an intake system, CB radio, flash tune, and rock sliders.

Will post updates when I have pictures and such! Hope you all enjoy watching my WJ progress into an adventure rig.

Last edited:

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Very nice! Looks like you scored a great Jeep too! I like the Fawkes Fab gear. That's a great setup for sure. I wish there were more options for retaining the factory bumper.

As far as spare I'm going to try the roof mount once I get my rack in and a full size spare. If that doesn't work I may save up for a swing gate rear bumper. They just cost so much it's almost not an option in my opinion...

Could I ask a question on your radio install? Did your wiring harness have a spot to wire the ground? My wiring pigtail didn't have a spot for it and I'm going to take it apart hopefully this weekend and fix it for good. I need highway tunes.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Very nice! Looks like you scored a great Jeep too! I like the Fawkes Fab gear. That's a great setup for sure. I wish there were more options for retaining the factory bumper.

As far as spare I'm going to try the roof mount once I get my rack in and a full size spare. If that doesn't work I may save up for a swing gate rear bumper. They just cost so much it's almost not an option in my opinion...

Could I ask a question on your radio install? Did your wiring harness have a spot to wire the ground? My wiring pigtail didn't have a spot for it and I'm going to take it apart hopefully this weekend and fix it for good. I need highway tunes.

The Fawkes Fab stuff is no joke. Very solid and I love the look of it with the Texas Hunter Bull Bar. I like how it's relocated higher now. I might end up fabricating some sort of step to slip over the tire for easier access to the roof rack and then throwing the full size spare up there. I'll need to get a cover for it tho. I'm really trying to maintain a stock look on this as best I can, plus it's not a true trail rig so it doesn't need to be built for smashing into rocks. I may steal my buddies idea for a hitch receiver mounted tire carrier and fab that up. Not sure yet as my spare still fits into the space in the rear.

If I remember correctly, Quadratec's harness replaced the Sony factory harness so it was essentially plug and play. Worth it IMO for the lack of headache and guessing. Check out Quadratec, even if they have limited WJ parts. Hope that helps!

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Sounds like great ideas to me! I don't plan on attacking the rocks either but I want to do some serious stuff and be able to run 32's. But I admire a lot of setups that only run 2" or so. They look good and are very versatile.

I'll try to post some pictures when I put my radio in. Hopefully it will help someone else once I'm done.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Sounds like great ideas to me! I don't plan on attacking the rocks either but I want to do some serious stuff and be able to run 32's. But I admire a lot of setups that only run 2" or so. They look good and are very versatile.

I'll try to post some pictures when I put my radio in. Hopefully it will help someone else once I'm done.

Check out this. Not a bad price for the entire kit. This is pretty much the same thing I bought when I first got my WJ.

Reactions: offroadinclined

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
That's really a sweet deal! It's the same as the wiring harness I got. Two separate prongs. I'd buy that kit if I didn't already have almost everything and have it all spliced up.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Rigged up my awning over the weekend. So far I like how simple it is, but I may look at modifying it into a more rigid structure for use where I cannot rig up the guy lines. Cabela's sells some great telescoping tent poles for a good price. The tarp was just an Amazon find. It's lightweight and of the same or similar material as a tent fly. Some 550 cord and a couple stakes take care of the guy lines. I attached the tarp to my roof rail using a gear tie which are heavy duty twist ties from NiteEze.
unnamed (12).jpg unnamed (13).jpg

Reactions: maxfederle89

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Rigged up my awning over the weekend. So far I like how simple it is, but I may look at modifying it into a more rigid structure for use where I cannot rig up the guy lines. Cabela's sells some great telescoping tent poles for a good price. The tarp was just an Amazon find. It's lightweight and of the same or similar material as a tent fly. Some 550 cord and a couple stakes take care of the guy lines. I attached the tarp to my roof rail using a gear tie which are heavy duty twist ties from NiteEze.
View attachment 33084 View attachment 33085
Really like this idea! I'd love to try this with just what I have laying about. How many attachment points do you have to your rack? I've seen those gear ties before. Do you just have on on each corner?

I was able to get the radio to work. Now everything is awesome!

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Really like this idea! I'd love to try this with just what I have laying about. How many attachment points do you have to your rack? I've seen those gear ties before. Do you just have on on each corner?

I was able to get the radio to work. Now everything is awesome!

Just 2 ties for the 2 corners on the roof rail. It's super simple which is easy to set up. I was going to use a heavy duty tarp, but I've had bad experiences with them fraying from UV exposure and stretching. This tarp from Amazon is of the quality I believe of what is being used on the ARB-style awnings.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
Sweet! So is it a canvas material? I have gobs of cheap tarps here and there. Always good to have some tarps.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
No pics, but last night I did the normal oil change and decided to replace the fuel filter. Big pain in the rear to get to, so I would probably not do that again unless I pay someone to do it. Tonight I'll replace all the spark plugs with some Champion copper cores. Hoping this will assist with getting the lost MPG's back. Muffler is trash as the seam has rusted out and there is a 6in long spot that is leaking so that might be next. Anyone have any suggestions to gain any MPG's?

GCWJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Coon Rapids, MN
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Canaday
I remember reading that the 4.7 is particular about its plugs...something about needing the OE recommended ones lest it melt them or some such.

My memory is known to be faulty but you might want to look that up. I've seen it at a few sources.

Else, who knows? Maybe that will work. My 99 gets a little over 20 hwy so if flipping the plugs works for you then I'll be on that like white on rice.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I remember reading that the 4.7 is particular about its plugs...something about needing the OE recommended ones lest it melt them or some such.

My memory is known to be faulty but you might want to look that up. I've seen it at a few sources.

Else, who knows? Maybe that will work. My 99 gets a little over 20 hwy so if flipping the plugs works for you then I'll be on that like white on rice.
I went with Champion copper cores. That was what I pulled out of there, it came highly recommended on the forums and by the parts shop, and I believe they're OEM-style. Managed to pick up a couple MPG's out of adding new plugs and a fuel filter.

Reactions: GCWJ

GCWJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Coon Rapids, MN
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Canaday
I went with Champion copper cores. That was what I pulled out of there, it came highly recommended on the forums and by the parts shop, and I believe they're OEM-style. Managed to pick up a couple MPG's out of adding new plugs and a fuel filter.
I'll be keeping this in mind for sure.