Rank I

Traveler I

NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Acheson
Member #

Hi All - I'm new to this overland world. I'll be updating my daily driver for some light trail driving....nothing crazy. I need to update the entire suspension. I'm running the original everything at 265k miles. It squeaks, it groans...its not happy. I want to maintain a comfortable ride and handling on the blacktop but I want to be able to ride some logging roads and forest service roads comfortably and safely. I would appreciate recommendations for the following:

tie rods
ball joints
upper control arms
front coils and shocks
rear leafs and shocks
front bumper (thinking about the ARB)
rock sliders
tires (thinking about BFG K02s...I've got the factory 6 spoke Enkei wheels which are 16" diameter and I think they are 8" wide...)

Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

Be well,
Shawn

Reactions: NiteSky

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shoreline, Washington 98155, United States
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

Hi All - I'm new to this overland world. I'll be updating my daily driver for some light trail driving....nothing crazy. I need to update the entire suspension. I'm running the original everything at 265k miles. It squeaks, it groans...its not happy. I want to maintain a comfortable ride and handling on the blacktop but I want to be able to ride some logging roads and forest service roads comfortably and safely. I would appreciate recommendations for the following:

tie rods
ball joints
upper control arms
front coils and shocks
rear leafs and shocks
front bumper (thinking about the ARB)
rock sliders
tires (thinking about BFG K02s...I've got the factory 6 spoke Enkei wheels which are 16" diameter and I think they are 8" wide...)

Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

Be well,
Shawn
Hey Shawn, I also am slowly building up a first gen Tundra. Mine is an ‘03. I don’t know everything but I have a few recommendations:

I put a 2.5” Old Man Emu suspension lift on mine. I love it! It’s firm on road but really forgiving Offroad. Also that size lift isn’t overkill and you can run mostly stock components otherwise. Here are some other recommends I have after a lot of research and discussion in the Tundra forums:

upper control arms: Camburg IMO all
Lower ball joint: consensus is anything other than genuine Toyota will fail prematurely. Easy to do yourself and roughly $180 or so for a pair genuine Toyota.
Rock sliders and front bumper: Brute Force Offroad. They are super nice and less bulky looking than the ARB in my opinion. Also both are customizable
Tires: I run the KO2s and love them. I have 285/70r17 and with the OME lift and below wheels there is practically no rubbing.
Wheels: you should up-size to 17” wheels if you’re going to get new ones. There’s a mod where you can upgrade your calipers to the GX470 calipers for better breaking but they need at least a 17” wheel to fit. I have Fuel Offroad Shok wheels. They’re 17”x9” with a -20 offset.

So that’s my input! I’m sure you’re looking around and would love to hear any cool stuff you come across.

Also a couple other things you might be interested in:

RA Motorsports: makes under body skid plates for fuel tank, transmission, transfer case and front skid plate

Coastal Offroad: makes a rear bumper with a dual swing out tire carrier and gas can carrier with side body protection.

Reactions: aggrex and Graeman

ShawnAcheson

Rank I

Traveler I

NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Acheson
Member #

Those are great suggestions, thanks! I've gotten busy with work and hadn't made any progress yet but hope to in 2021.

I was thinking about the SPC upper control arms, ICON suspension and new Deaver leaf springs in the back. A local overland outfitter recommended a Dobbinson suspension. I really liked what I saw in the King shocks but there is not enough clearance in the rear in a stock suspension for King rear shocks. You would have to run different shocks front and rear. I wasn't crazy about that arrangement.

I was also considering the Archive Garage Hammer Hangers in the rear....Too much to do, too little time!

I'll definitely look into your recommendations. I love the wheels you mentioned. The GX470 calipers you mentioned...are they for fronts only or can they been used to replace the rear drums as well. Living in the mountains I get a lot of rotor warping just because they are undersized...I think.

thanks

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

SPCs and ICONs are solid! Dobbinson springs with Bilsteins are pretty popular on the Tundra forums and I've only heard good things about their stuff. There's always so much you can do and you can get really specific setups by combining different brand struts and coils.

I haven't heard of the Hammer Hangers, I'll have to check them out!

For the GX calipers, I should have mentioned the GX calipers also accommodate the larger GX rotors. That being said I've only heard of them being installed on the front. I know some guys have converted their rear to disc breaks but I've heard it's a PITA. I haven't looked up what's involved with that though. I've also experienced issues downhill with stock rotors so it's on my short list of mods.

Also, not sure if you're going to be doing a rack at some point but Prinsu makes a roof rack specifically for the cab of first gen access cab Tundras. So many ways to spend money! haha

Reactions: aggrex

ShawnAcheson

Rank I

Traveler I

NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Acheson
Member #

Here are the 1st Gen Tundra products from Archive Garage I mentioned. I've not bought anything yet, but thinking very seriously about the Hammer Hangers and the leaf springs.

Are those the K02 285/70r17 in the photo of your truck? They ride comfortably on paved roads? Just checking before I make the investment.

NiteSky

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
McCabe
Member #

Here are the 1st Gen Tundra products from Archive Garage I mentioned. I've not bought anything yet, but thinking very seriously about the Hammer Hangers and the leaf springs.

Are those the K02 285/70r17 in the photo of your truck? They ride comfortably on paved roads? Just checking before I make the investment.
Oh dang, I haven’t seen that setup before but it looks solid!! You know I only did an add a leaf and my truck is still under 90k miles but they’re old and definitely got some heavy use by the previous owner. I’m going to have to keep this in mind for when I have to replace the full leaf packs in a few years.

Do you have a time frame on when you might get them, assuming you go that route? I’d love to hear how the setup rides.

To your tire question, yes, you’re right on the size and brand. I had some older Falken wild peaks on before and the KO2s are significantly nicer to drive on, including paved roads. They’re the E 10 plys but they aren’t harsh at all. I’m also amazed at how minimal the noise is, even on the highway. I’m super happy with them!

ShawnAcheson

Rank I

Traveler I

NC
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Acheson
Member #

Darn...missed your follow-up. I just ordered the HD leaf springs from Archive garage with the stealth HD U-Bolt flip kit. They haven't shipped yet but I'll let you know how it goes. I opted out of the hammer hangers for now. Trying to do the labor myself and felt the hammer hangers required a bit more than I was comfortable with at the moment.

How heavy is your Brute Force front bumper? Just trying to figure out if I need to get the heavier 700 pound springs for the front or if I can stick with the regular spring set. I don't know that I want to do the bumper right now, but I also don't want to replace the springs twice.

and glad to hear about the tires. I might just go with the stock 16" wheels for now and do a wheel upgrade the next time I need tires. Don't want to over spend right now. Of course, I just found a 2014 Land Cruiser with low mileage at a reasonable price. oh the decisions!!