1989 suburban build starting now

• HTML tutorial

89BurbonBoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

So a couple years ago,I purchased the suburban. The body is straight it has 10” of suspension lift and came with an extra Chevy 350, a 700r4 and a NP205. The interior left something to be desired. So that is my starting point. About 4 months ago I was driving around town and noticed the 350 that’s in the suburban now could not keep up with the big truck, so I set out on a quest...

About three weeks ago I purchased a 1995 dodge 3500 4x4. It has the 5.9l Cummins. So the dodge is going to supply the motor, nv4500 transmission and the suburbans np205 transfer case.

Thoughts,comments,and advise is greatly appreciated

Other modifications in the works

12000lbs winch
Overhead console with cd, ham, and cb radios

0502162003~2.jpgIMG_0751.JPG

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Awesome swap! My only thought is to remind you that you'll want to beef up the front suspension on the Burb to accommodate the oilburner. A small block it is NOT! lol.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Yeah your right, any ideas on a good one ton axels?
Depending on your budget, I'd say built Ford 9 inchers are good, Dana 60s are good. Dana 80s are better if you can swing them. My F350 diesel came stock with a 10.25 in the rear and Dana 60 in the front.
I'd look into beefier springs and stiffer shocks to cope with the extra weight of the diesel. Was your Suburban originally a small block?

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So a couple years ago,I purchased the suburban. The body is straight it has 10” of suspension lift and came with an extra Chevy 350, a 700r4 and a NP205. The interior left something to be desired. So that is my starting point. About 4 months ago I was driving around town and noticed the 350 that’s in the suburban now could not keep up with the big truck, so I set out on a quest...

About three weeks ago I purchased a 1995 dodge 3500 4x4. It has the 5.9l Cummins. So the dodge is going to supply the motor, nv4500 transmission and the suburbans np205 transfer case.

Thoughts,comments,and advise is greatly appreciated

Other modifications in the works

12000lbs winch
Overhead console with cd, ham, and cb radios

View attachment 75567View attachment 75568
Love the look....2 tone paint...it's a rig that I can't wait to see get built

Reactions: 89BurbonBoy

89BurbonBoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Depending on your budget, I'd say built Ford 9 inchers are good, Dana 60s are good. Dana 80s are better if you can swing them. My F350 diesel came stock with a 10.25 in the rear and Dana 60 in the front.
I'd look into beefier springs and stiffer shocks to cope with the extra weight of the diesel. Was your Suburban originally a small block?
Yes original small block but the the suspension lift is all leaf spring no blocks. I’ll have to check the front but the rear axel is a gm 14 bolt. I also many have the option of putting the dodge front end under it

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

The 14 bolt is a really stout axle. I think the Dana 60 vs GM 14 bolt argument could go on forever. Use what you like. Since you already have a complete Dodge one-ton, you already have two matching Dana 60 axles. If you're happy with the gearing in the Dodge, that might be the way to go for an economical build. If not, both setups have enough gearing options to make you dizzy.
Heck, you could just build the Dodge! lol. Or figure a way to graft the Burb body onto the Dodge frame. It'd need a stretch, but stranger things have happened.

Nedceifus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Nebraska
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Metcalf
Axles from the dodge for sure. Honestly I'd use the whole drivetrain. I'd consider boxing the front 1/3 of the frame & beefing up crossmembers. The Chevy frames are weak to begin with & a heavy motor will exaggerate this. Crossover steering & steering box brace. OffRoad Design is a 1 stop shop for all of your needs including custom springs & shocks for this application. RuffStuff has disk brake conversions for your rear axle. Craig's list may be the ticket to convert your dually front to a SRW front. The CK5 forum has endless resources when it comes to the Square Chevy platform.

89BurbonBoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I really appreciate all of your knowledge and suggestions, you’ve given me a lot to think on I’ll keep you updated with news and pictures

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

Recently spotted at my friendly neighborhood used truck dealer:

IMG_0234.JPG
90's Bronco sitting on a Dodge Cummins powertrain. TWO crew cab donor trucks used to stretch the cab. If you can dream it, you can build it....;-)

AmericaMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Iowa
Member #

Going to be a sweet rig. Let me know if you need any insight for your build. I’m currently doing a build similar and can answer any questions.

89BurbonBoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello everyone,

It’s been awhile, an updated is long overdue. Since COVID a lot has been done to the rig. Starting with the motor, like mentioned above the Cummins 12v did in fact replace the 350 sbc. Behind that is a nv4500 coupled to a np205. Then I started working on the interior. I ripped out the old carpets and patched a few holes were the rear heater use to be, after that I began the time consuming but kinda therapeutic task of sound dreading the floor walls and roof. Along with that which is still in the process. I decided to switch the interior color from blue to black. To top it all off I started to tackle the wiring under the dash what a challenge that has presented. Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
Hello everyone,

It’s been awhile, an updated is long overdue. Since COVID a lot has been done to the rig. Starting with the motor, like mentioned above the Cummins 12v did in fact replace the 350 sbc. Behind that is a nv4500 coupled to a np205. Then I started working on the interior. I ripped out the old carpets and patched a few holes were the rear heater use to be, after that I began the time consuming but kinda therapeutic task of sound dreading the floor walls and roof. Along with that which is still in the process. I decided to switch the interior color from blue to black. To top it all off I started to tackle the wiring under the dash what a challenge that has presented. Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks
What kind of sound deadner is that? I order a roll off amazon...fatmat. Havent gotten to install it yet. But curious how it went on, any trouble, tips for install.

89BurbonBoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Hello everyone,

What kind of sound deadner is that? I order a roll off amazon...fatmat. Havent gotten to install it yet. But curious how it went on, any trouble, tips for install.
That is a product from Amazon as well it’s called mat 66 80 mil, it comes in a box and each box covers about 36sq ft. With sound deadening you want to make sure that it doesn’t have asphalt in it or it will melt at high temps. Mat 66 is made of Butyl which does not melt or smell. For tips I would suggest investing in a set of rollers, the different sized let you get in the corners better. And the more surface contact the sound deadening has with the metal the more efficient it is.

The rollers are also on Amazon

HAOFANG Car Sound Deadening Roller Tool 5 Pcs,for Auto Noise Roller Car Sound Deadener Application Installation Tool Rolling Wheel Interior Accessories https://a.co/d/dDl1svV

Reactions: KILO19

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Axles from the dodge for sure. Honestly I'd use the whole drivetrain. I'd consider boxing the front 1/3 of the frame & beefing up crossmembers. The Chevy frames are weak to begin with & a heavy motor will exaggerate this. Crossover steering & steering box brace. OffRoad Design is a 1 stop shop for all of your needs including custom springs & shocks for this application. RuffStuff has disk brake conversions for your rear axle. Craig's list may be the ticket to convert your dually front to a SRW front. The CK5 forum has endless resources when it comes to the Square Chevy platform.
IMHO if you box 1/3rd you need to box the whole thing. That era GM frame is verrrrry flexy, but it works okay when allowed to flex as designed. However, what I've seen is when you box just specific sections and leave others flexy it'll crack in the unboxed areas since they have to take up all the flex, vs. it being distributed along the length of the frame. Basically, all or nothing when boxing a frame that wasn't boxed stock.

As for the axels, the C14 is stronger with the pinion support... but either the C14 or D60 would be fine in this application.

-TJ

89BurbonBoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

IMHO if you box 1/3rd you need to box the whole thing. That era GM frame is verrrrry flexy, but it works okay when allowed to flex as designed. However, what I've seen is when you box just specific sections and leave others flexy it'll crack in the unboxed areas since they have to take up all the flex, vs. it being distributed along the length of the frame. Basically, all or nothing when boxing a frame that wasn't boxed stock.

As for the axels, the C14 is stronger with the pinion support... but either the C14 or D60 would be fine in this application.

-TJ
Thanks I appreciate the insight.

Reactions: tjZ06