1985 Chevy K5 Blazer (M1009) Build

• HTML tutorial

vwjay

Rank II

Enthusiast II

So after a lot of talk. My wife and I have finally decided to starts seeing the country in the Blazer. This will be a long term build. In the trucks immediate future it will be seeing, a winch, a custom full length roof rack and possibly a snorkel. Everything else will be on a as needed basis. Id rather not spend tons of money on stuff I don't need or likely not to use (except recovery gear). In the future We'll look into things like roof top tents, 2-3" suspension lift, fridges, drawers, tables and etc. We are starting out with what is essentially just a strip model 1985 Chevrolet 4wd Blazer. No radio, no A/C, bare bones interior, roll up windows and heat. It was originally built for and purchased by the US ARMY. So being that is designated a M1009 CUCV. Its equipped with 10 Bolts axles front and rear with 3.08 gears and a Gov-lok Diff in the rear. 6.2L N/A diesel engine, TH400 3spd auto and NP208 transfer case. All pretty common fair for mid 80's GM square bodies just not available in that combo to the public. Not common is the hybrid 12v/24v electrical system. Really just a 24V starter and fuel cutoff solenoid. Everything else is standard 12V equipment with exception to the twin 100 amp isolated ground alternators. IMG_0288.JPG The truck is a solid runner. I've owned it for over 5 years now and its been pretty reliable. I prefer its bigger cousin the M1008 which is basically a K30 1 ton pickup in military clothing. But they are not as suitable for long distance travel, 4.56 geared axles. Unless you like listening to screaming diesels and time is of no concern. 55mph is the end of the world for them. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Right now my first goal is to mount my winch. Trying to decide if I want it out front and built onto the bumper/Grill guard or behind the bumper. I've seen it done both ways. I prefer behind the bumper as it preserves approach angles, keeps it out of plain sight and offers some weather protection. However it makes it difficult to access the clutch handle. In any case the control/solenoid box will be mounted high inside the engine compartment. Not on the winch. Thats it for now. Look forward to adding more and sharing it here.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Nice looking Blazer. The 3.08 gears will be the death of you when you add the lift and bigger tires. Then you will be wanting the 4.56's

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm sure you've already found it, but https://ck5.com/forums is indispensable for owners of the K-series. I would start by reading up on the gov-lock. They were typically referred to as grenades, from what I remember, because of the characteristics by which they were engaged.

I had an 87 V-10 for about 15 years. It was great! I wouldn't be opposed to having another someday. Can't wait to see what you do with your build!

Reactions: Jimmy P

vwjay

Rank II

Enthusiast II

The 3.08 gears will be the death of you when you add the lift and bigger tires. Then you will be wanting the 4.56's
Thanks, but as for the gearing. I'll gladly take the 3.08s for now. My immediate plans for the truck call for tires no larger than 33" and possibly an upgrade in gearing to 3.42-3.55s. With the M1008 I had in the past. Even with 36" tires 60mph was pushing it. I took a trip to Haspin Acres in Indiana with that truck. 15hrs of high reving engine, slow forward progress and no music. Not that you could have heard it anyway, was taxing. You need overdrive in them. I loved that truck, still do. If it were still around I'd be doing a 4L80e conversion and calling it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Graeman

vwjay

Rank II

Enthusiast II

So quick update. All that's been going on lately is a good round of basic servicing and some rough planning on a winch mount and some fender protection. I will be fabbing up a mount like this one.
Its simple, I like the look and it's a reasonable option for a truck that doesn't have much in the way of off the shelf winch bumper support. I'm also planning a swing out spare tire carrier for use with the stock rear bumper. For fender protection I'm gonna make up some bars that tie my brush guard in with my rock sliders. Not sure on the design yet but the same idea as you see on trucks in Australia and Africa.

Reactions: Kevin108

vwjay

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Yes there has been. Nothing fancy as of yet. Lots of simple busy work and unfortunately rust repair. The winch mount will probably be the next big project I tackle on the truck. That I will document on here while I do it. The little busy work not so much.