10 Meters - Technicians get on the air and get bitten by the HF bug.

• HTML tutorial

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

10 meters has been opening up quite often lately.
Today I have Canada, Belize, Scotland, and Germany in the log. Heard Suriname (South America) but he had a heck of a pile up going and I just couldn't break it.
Techs, you have access to part of 10m and 10m will only get better as the solar cycle increases and perhaps be motivated to get your general.

I realize many people especially here look at ham radio as a tool and not a hobby, and that's ok as it's a great tool.
But, it's a fun hobby too for those that are interested and hopefully the increasing conditions will spark some to upgrade their licenses.

Can't wait for Field Day this year.

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Well I just passed my technician test Monday night, so not sure I’m ready for General yet, but thanks for the great info on HF. I’m learning a lot, especially from posts like this.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Well I just passed my technician test Monday night, so not sure I’m ready for General yet, but thanks for the great info on HF. I’m learning a lot, especially from posts like this.
ARRL Field Day is the end of June, it's the largest ham radio event of the year and I am sure many clubs in CA will be participating. It's a good time to get hands on with putting up antennas and using radios and getting on HF.

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
i wonder if there any interest in building a local weekly 2 meter net in the Sacramento area? Congratulations on passing the test.

Markus

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
10 meters has been opening up quite often lately.
Today I have Canada, Belize, Scotland, and Germany in the log. Heard Suriname (South America) but he had a heck of a pile up going and I just couldn't break it.
Techs, you have access to part of 10m and 10m will only get better as the solar cycle increases and perhaps be motivated to get your general.

I realize many people especially here look at ham radio as a tool and not a hobby, and that's ok as it's a great tool.
But, it's a fun hobby too for those that are interested and hopefully the increasing conditions will spark some to upgrade their licenses.

Can't wait for Field Day this year.
Thank you for your post. One of my plans for this year is to use HAM radio for more than just communication on the road and to dive deeper. This also includes going to the local HAM radio club more regularly to get more hands on experience and to exchange ideas. Because as you siad it is more than pure communication.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The other day I made contact with Jamaica on 10M with just 5watts. Now that I have an antenna that is resonant on 10M I will probably start using it more.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Now that I have a ground plane, er metal fence, I’ll be setting up an HF vertical in the back yard. I can operate QRP from the back patio.
I put up my new Hustler 5btv this morning. The welded steel fence was a strategic piece.

The rig is an Elecraft K2 I built 20 years ago.

4FE73AAF-1153-49C6-A312-17F6F5FFA529.jpeg8EA5F7E1-60FF-4A14-8031-89A133B5F103.jpeg23435E04-B87E-4DA5-8697-B2DCA8FA862A.jpeg