• HTML tutorial

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

Hey Everyone,

So I've been itching to get out again, I think I'll have a week or so free in June so planning to head to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab and Zion over 10/11 days.

I'm a photographer and director so obviously I'm into finding picturesque locations. They can be the famous ones we've all seen before, as I have never been to any of these places and I'd love to shoot that road in monument valley, horseshoe bend, arches etc.

Also, I'm traveling by myself and have somewhat limited experience overlanding, so I wouldn't want to go anywhere to remote incase of mechanical or electrical failure (which is quite possible when driving a 25 year old Mercedes truck)

I will be leaving from Santa Monica, California.

Here is my tentative schedule:

Day 1: Drive to south entrance Joshua tree (or similar) camp for the night. 160 miles

Day 2: Drive to Flagstaff area, camp there for the night. 350 miles

Day 3: Drive to Grand Canyon. 150 miles

Day 4: Horseshoe Bend

Day 5: Grand Staircase.

Day 6: Monument Valley. 140 miles.

Day 7: Moab. 150 miles.

Day 8: Arches

Day 9: Zion. 190 miles

Day 10: Zion

Day 11: Drive Home - Arrive Home or Camp one more night if you don't want to put in an 8 hr drive. All the way is 460 miles.

Questions:

1. Traveling by myself obviously my first concern is safety. I have a handheld CB radio that I have ZERO idea how to use. Is this sufficient? Or do I need one with an antennae attached to my car for it to be useful?

2. Maybe this should be the first question: can / should I do this trip solo? I figure these are mostly fairly populated areas. I would love to camp in BLM grounds for a better experience / photo ops, but again not really into going hours off road since I have limited recovery skills and no second vehicle traveling with me.

3. For Day 1 is there a better place to camp on my way towards flagstaff? Joshua Tree and Flagstaff are somewhat arbitrary (I like joshua tree) and I was planning on finding a park near or around flagstaff, but I am open to suggestions. Maybe there's some other cool stuff along the way to see?

4. Any other suggestions for what to see or do in Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab and Zion? Also am I trying to see too much? Originally was planning on Grand Canyon / Monument Valley, but then noticed how close Moab was, and how I could hit Zion on my way back to LA, but maybe I'm better off not rushing things?

5. Any other tips for a novice overlander? I've done a solo trip for a week up and down California coast, but stayed in State Park campgrounds. Also did Usal Road over a 5 day trip, but was with a friend in a Tacoma. Have done a bunch of day trip trails around SoCal area, but this would be by far the most ambitious trip. I definitely want to be well prepared.

That's a lot of info, that's a lot of questions, I would love and appreciate any help or suggestions to make this a safe, fun and photogenic one!!

Thanks all.

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
When are you planning this trip?

Day 1 camping...south of Flag there is a canyon...in that canyon are some great little camp spots. But those might be better suited to a couple of days. Otherwise much of that area is open camping.

Solo is WAY doable for what you describe...I do solo trips in those areas all the time...but that was my backyard growing up.

Monument Valley and Moab are WAY more fun IMHO than Zion...that being said if you have not been through Zion it is a must do...just not on the weekends...actually many of the spots on your list will be like Santa Monica on the weekends.

Be sure the truck is dialed in and you have tools and a jack and maybe traction boards...but that is it...use your noggin' and you'll have a blast.

Reactions: Narbob and covello

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

When are you planning this trip?

Day 1 camping...south of Flag there is a canyon...in that canyon are some great little camp spots. But those might be better suited to a couple of days. Otherwise much of that area is open camping.

Solo is WAY doable for what you describe...I do solo trips in those areas all the time...but that was my backyard growing up.

Monument Valley and Moab are WAY more fun IMHO than Zion...that being said if you have not been through Zion it is a must do...just not on the weekends...actually many of the spots on your list will be like Santa Monica on the weekends.

Be sure the truck is dialed in and you have tools and a jack and maybe traction boards...but that is it...use your noggin' and you'll have a blast.

RAD dude! Thanks for the trips. Yeah I have the original jack the car came with, but I'm not too confident in that. haha. I might pick up a front runner jack and track pads when I swing by there. Going to drop off the truck at the shop today too to check on my clutch. It was slipping on my last drive to Vegas.

Right now I'm planning on leaving Saturday June 10. So travel Sat and Sunday and arrive Grand Canyon Monday/Tuesday, Monument Wed Thurs, but then Moab Friday Sat, and then Zion Sunday / Monday.

Is there a better choice to spend the weekend? Or they are all going to be pretty busy?

Reactions: Narbob

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Sounds like a great trip. The canyon south of Flagstaff is on highway 89A there are several campsites along the oak creek in the area. They are first come sites, and fill up fast in June. There are a couple of KOA type camps on I40 between Flag and Williams which would be the gateway to Southrim.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I'll be watching this thread. I'm planning basically the same solo trip except after July 4th. My only concern is finding campsites on the way. Good luck!!

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

Sounds like a great trip. The canyon south of Flagstaff is on highway 89A there are several campsites along the oak creek in the area. They are first come sites, and fill up fast in June. There are a couple of KOA type camps on I40 between Flag and Williams which would be the gateway to Southrim.
Sweet! Are you talking like between Flagstaff and Sedona?

Are these like state campgrounds (Pine Flat / Cave Springs)? Or somewhere I would drive in on some of the side roads?

I'll be watching this thread. I'm planning basically the same solo trip except after July 4th. My only concern is finding campsites on the way. Good luck!!
Rad dude! I'll definitely let you know what I do!!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Of course you can travel solo. Lots of people do it. Your level of comfort and safety determines how far you will go.

IMHO CB is useless. Great to talk to people within a mile or less. Don't consider that a safety device! If you are concerned about emergency communications get a Delorme InReach or worst case a Spot. Long term become a licensed Ham operator with a good mobile unit. The Jacob Lake repeater on the north rim is linked to repeaters in AZ, UT, and ID. I have talked to folks in ID when out exploring.

I would spend 2 days on the rim so you get a variety of lighting conditions. Point Sublime, FirePoint (Both require a permit! and Crazy Jug Point are all great. On the road to Fire Point you are outside of the GCNP so you can camp for free. Fire Point is inside. Literally .25 miles from the Fire Point entrance you can camp with limited views. If you want to be in a place on the Grand Canyon where no one will be around or if they are they won't be for long head out Buffalo Ranch Rd just north of Cliff Dwellers. It takes 45-60 until you can get to a couple of canyon view points. This is outside of the park just to the west.

Monument Valley is nice but not that exciting. I would drive through the Valley of the Gods and camp there if it suits your itinerary.

The app called Ultimate Camgrounds is a great resource to find places to stay last minute. It will show you everything from free national forest camping to paid campgrounds. http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

Good luck

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

Of course you can travel solo. Lots of people do it. Your level of comfort and safety determines how far you will go.

IMHO CB is useless. Great to talk to people within a mile or less. Don't consider that a safety device! If you are concerned about emergency communications get a Delorme InReach or worst case a Spot. Long term become a licensed Ham operator with a good mobile unit. The Jacob Lake repeater on the north rim is linked to repeaters in AZ, UT, and ID. I have talked to folks in ID when out exploring.

I would spend 2 days on the rim so you get a variety of lighting conditions. Point Sublime, FirePoint (Both require a permit! and Crazy Jug Point are all great. On the road to Fire Point you are outside of the GCNP so you can camp for free. Fire Point is inside. Literally .25 miles from the Fire Point entrance you can camp with limited views. If you want to be in a place on the Grand Canyon where no one will be around or if they are they won't be for long head out Buffalo Ranch Rd just north of Cliff Dwellers. It takes 45-60 until you can get to a couple of canyon view points. This is outside of the park just to the west.

Monument Valley is nice but not that exciting. I would drive through the Valley of the Gods and camp there if it suits your itinerary.

The app called Ultimate Camgrounds is a great resource to find places to stay last minute. It will show you everything from free national forest camping to paid campgrounds. http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/

Good luck

DUDE!! Thank you so much!! I didn't even know about Delorme InReaches. That seems perfect for me. It's just a safety / backup, you know for those just in case moments I know I'll be alright and then I can roam without worry. While the unit is a bit pricey, from what I read $60/yr is worth paying for piece of mind.

Thanks for all of the tips for spots to check out. I'll research all of them. As far as Monument valley, I really just want to take a photo of me skateboarding down that road haha and drive around a bit.

Is Valley of the Gods much different than Monument? or is it kinda the same? I could add a day to GCNP and only do one of Monument/Valley of the Gods.

I just bought the app too. I've been using AllStays, but always good to check another app.

Thanks!!

Reactions: BeardedOverland

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Monument Valley is on the Indian reservation. VOG is not.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Sweet! Are you talking like between Flagstaff and Sedona?

Are these like state campgrounds (Pine Flat / Cave Springs)? Or somewhere I would drive in on some of the side roads?

Rad dude! I'll definitely let you know what I do!!
The ones I was thinking of are just off the Highway, but there are others outside Sedona before entering into Oak Creek Canyon.

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
The ones I was thinking of are just off the Highway, but there are others outside Sedona before entering into Oak Creek Canyon.
There are some open roads on HWY 89 with great views and open camping. Look at google maps and you will see some roads off 89 just north of the switchbacks...those roads lead to open/dispersed camp sites with great views.

Cave Springs is one of my favorite campgrounds in the canyon. It is smaller, quiet...and I have had some great memories there.

But if you are only gonna spend 1 night in the area then I would just find some roads near Flag and open camp and then keep moving. I like to either haul ass and get somewhere great and set up for a couple of days...OR just let the trip come my way and move when I wanna and drink Pomka (Vodka/Pomegranate) when I wanna.

Your trip is taking into EPIC wheeling/camping/Pomka territory...so it will be difficult to NOT have a great time...and IMPOSSIBLE to catch it all. Bonus is...it is super close, and you can and should go back often.

Reactions: BeardedOverland

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
DUDE!! Thank you so much!! I didn't even know about Delorme InReaches. That seems perfect for me. It's just a safety / backup, you know for those just in case moments I know I'll be alright and then I can roam without worry. While the unit is a bit pricey, from what I read $60/yr is worth paying for piece of mind.
I LOVE to travel solo...I almost always meet fun folks from other parts of the world to cruise with. However...I have had my butt saved by my InReach and I consider it a mandatory item no matter how many I am traveling with. I even use it locally for MTB rides, moto rides, etc. I also consider CB/HAM/FRS all to be great toys...with differing degrees of use...but the satellite communicators are serious tools.

I have an InReach for sale...drop a line if interested.

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

Monument Valley is on the Indian reservation. VOG is not.
Does this logistically make a difference? I need to pay to enter MV correct?

Copy. Will check them out! Thanks.

There are some open roads on HWY 89 with great views and open camping. Look at google maps and you will see some roads off 89 just north of the switchbacks...those roads lead to open/dispersed camp sites with great views.

Cave Springs is one of my favorite campgrounds in the canyon. It is smaller, quiet...and I have had some great memories there.

But if you are only gonna spend 1 night in the area then I would just find some roads near Flag and open camp and then keep moving. I like to either haul ass and get somewhere great and set up for a couple of days...OR just let the trip come my way and move when I wanna and drink Pomka (Vodka/Pomegranate) when I wanna.

Your trip is taking into EPIC wheeling/camping/Pomka territory...so it will be difficult to NOT have a great time...and IMPOSSIBLE to catch it all. Bonus is...it is super close, and you can and should go back often.
DUDE. POMKA!!! HAHAHA I love it. I will definitely have some in honor of your advice.

Not sure where I'll camp, but Cave Springs doesn't seem that far south, and I need to go into Flagstaff anyways to get the GC permit.

I LOVE to travel solo...I almost always meet fun folks from other parts of the world to cruise with. However...I have had my butt saved by my InReach and I consider it a mandatory item no matter how many I am traveling with. I even use it locally for MTB rides, moto rides, etc. I also consider CB/HAM/FRS all to be great toys...with differing degrees of use...but the satellite communicators are serious tools.

I have an InReach for sale...drop a line if interested.
I am very much looking forward to that experience or meeting and hanging with some new people. I am definitely going to get an In Reach, thank you for the advice, I believe I do want one with GPS and topo tho, but thanks of the offer on yours!

Reactions: CatButt

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

So I started planning this trip in more detail, I had been looking at the seasonal temperature charts for the locations I wanted to camp, and it all seemed to be within reason.

Then I started to use my weather app to check weather today and found out that everywhere was over 100 degrees in the day.

In a truck without air conditioning, I feel like this may be a problem for me.

So thinking of putting this a bit on hold for now, maybe push it to the fall?

Though I would love to sneak away next week! Looking for 3-4 day trip to somewhere with perhaps some elevation so I don't die from heat stroke. haha.