Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok @A-Aron it is your fault but I got the 05 SR5 4x4 Sequoia, can not wait to start the build of her.....Sure wish you was my neighbor as I could pick your brain and put you to work.....SO I need you to keep us all updated on your rig!

Thanks for all the adivice,

Jim

Reactions: A-Aron

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Ok @A-Aron it is your fault but I got the 05 SR5 4x4 Sequoia, can not wait to start the build of her.....Sure wish you was my neighbor as I could pick your brain and put you to work.....SO I need you to keep us all updated on your rig!

Thanks for all the adivice,

Jim
Jim, you're going to love it! I'll try and get an update posted in the next few days. I still stand by everything posted to date.. I've just done some other next level upgrades.. I look forward to hearing about your build.

Reactions: Jim SoG

DLaFleur

Rank I

Contributor III

Ponchatoula, LA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
LaFleur
A-Aron,
You are an inspiration brother. I have been going back and forth on what to get for my next "family vehicle". Just got turned onto the 4wd Sequoia as a serious consideration. Being 6'2" with 3 kids in car seats and more kids in our future the space offered is ideal for the growing fam.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
A-Aron,
You are an inspiration brother. I have been going back and forth on what to get for my next "family vehicle". Just got turned onto the 4wd Sequoia as a serious consideration. Being 6'2" with 3 kids in car seats and more kids in our future the space offered is ideal for the growing fam.
I hear you man.. I'm 6'2" and have 2 boosters and a carseat.. I don't think you can get a better vehicle for the money.. anywhere.. My wife is 5'4" and she's comfy too.. Secret is out though.. prices already are going up, the good news is that will bring more aftermarket options in the long run..

DLaFleur

Rank I

Contributor III

Ponchatoula, LA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
LaFleur
I hear you man.. I'm 6'2" and have 2 boosters and a carseat.. I don't think you can get a better vehicle for the money.. anywhere.. My wife is 5'4" and she's comfy too.. Secret is out though.. prices already are going up, the good news is that will bring more aftermarket options in the long run..
Definitely keeping my eye out for one now. Are there any year/models you would recommend over others? I'm just getting into the whole overlanding scene. Not much to speak of as far as trails around SE Louisiana (aside from mud), so my needs aren't as extreme as others; but we are very much an outdoor oriented family. Now that the kids are getting a little bigger its time to get further off road than just gravel parking lots. I am a teacher so we travel a good bit in the summer months which is where the overlanding idea has been born.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Definitely keeping my eye out for one now. Are there any year/models you would recommend over others? I'm just getting into the whole overlanding scene. Not much to speak of as far as trails around SE Louisiana (aside from mud), so my needs aren't as extreme as others; but we are very much an outdoor oriented family. Now that the kids are getting a little bigger its time to get further off road than just gravel parking lots. I am a teacher so we travel a good bit in the summer months which is where the overlanding idea has been born.
05-07 are the best.. VVTi and a 5 speed.. the 01-04 are easier to find.. if you go that route.. try and shoot for the 04.. but the 01-04 have a 4 speed and less BHP.. torque stays the same, the interior doesn't change much over the yrs.. some of the 07 have a little nicer instrument cluster.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
OK... SO.. the secret is out.. I see more and more articles and youtube videos about the "1st Gen Sequoia" and It's overland potential.. you heard it here first..LOL
Anyway, as the interest grows I've gotten more inquiries about my build and how things are going, I guess it is time for an update.
First.. Recap and review of the existing (now old to me) setup...

Front End:
Custom Home made bumper - Loving the bumper still.. got a fresh coat of paint before the winter
Xbull 13k Synthetic Winch - gets used sparingly.. but it works every time I go to use it.. I inspect the winch line periodically to make sure there is no rot or anything on the line.
Autofeel LED White/Amber Pod lights - they still turn on, they are still bright.. and they're inexpensive..
Bilstein 6112 Coilover - I still highly recommend this setup for the front end.. the 650lb spring is ideal for adding some weight and keeping a nice ride on and off road.. you can go to the 700 lb if you get heavy up front..
here is a cool article about the 6112 to back up my claims.. Shock Comparison In the real world, I know 3 people with this setup that are 100% satisfied.
Durobump Bump Stops - These are technically for the 3rd gen 4runner, they are a definitely and upgrade over stock..
SPC Upper control arms - Mine hold true when torqued to spec, regular greasing of the top ball joint.. annual greasing of the UCA mounting bolt - alignment holds just fine
Dual AGM Duralast Gold Batteries - I have mounted a solar panel on the roof and keep them connected when I'm not driving regularly.. keeps the batteries in tip top shape
Ebay snorkel for the 100 series - still sucks in air.. its taken a decent beating in the trees and brush and keeps going...

Mid section:
Custom home made Sliders: have taken several hits, one really knarly hit last year.. bent the outside tube a little.. but they're doing their job protecting the body 100% - I use them to get the rear end to go where I want on rocky trails
Roof Rack: still holds crap.. I'm thinking about building a new one later this year to try and shed a few lbs.. It holds my 23zero 270 awning (yes, its amazing) and shovel.. solar panel.. extra gear on longer trips without the trailer
after 3+ yrs of abuse - all of my "ebay/amazon" led lights are still making things bright..

Rear end:
OME 2860 Springs - still my go-to recommendation for most everybody.. good balance of load carrying capacity - lift, and good ride quality - 3-4" lift empty - just right when you put in the average load out..
OME 60071L Shocks - I beat the heck out of these.. they still work great.. I also highly recommend the FOX 985-24-087 for the rear end for the non-remote adjustable level build
Liftmaster airbags - I used these when towing my trailer to get the ride leveled back out - maybe I just pack too much.. anyone else? haha
Custom home made rear bumper - Dual swing out.. still holding my recovery gear and 3 jerry cans on the driver side.. spare on the passenger side - no complaints.

I believe I was running 285/70r17 BFG KO2 on the stock sequoia rims with 1.25" spacers.. I love the tires.. wanted to try something in the 35" range so I snagged a set of Cooper SST Pro 315/70r17 from a friend that was upgrading to 37"s (Jeep JKU) . I mounted them on an identical set of 17" sequoia stock rims and traded them back and forth between the KO2s depending on the trip and terrain.. It was nice having options, but in reality.. I've got enough going on when prepping a trip to worry about swapping 5 wheels out. They were noisy.. but the traction was amazing and I was able to conquer a few obstacles I couldn't previously on the 33" KO2.
Drawbacks.. #1.. noise #2.. Wanda did not like towing the trailer with 35" tires on the stock 4.10 gears.. the V8 had plenty of power.. but I live in the Mountains.. like 6k ft.. 40 min South I"m at 2500ft, 30 min to the east and I'm at 10k ft, and to the north is riddled with mountain passes, so... yeah, stock tire size is like.. 30.5" It kind of makes the transmission upset to get things that far out of proportion....

Solution? - Decided to re-gear. I blew up my front ring gear in the sand dunes - most likely due to the extra mass of the bigger tires and .. maybe I was having too much fun?
Got some 4.88 Gears (full rebuild kit) from Revolution Gear and Axle- had a local shop install them. Also.. I decided.. opening up the differentials for rebuild is something I don't want to make a habit of, so while its open, we might as well throw a locker in the rear - I've never really "needed" a locker per say, proper use of the Atrac system and careful driving has gotten me where I wanted to go. I decided on an Eaton Trutrac - no maintenance, auto activation, safe for towing, and comparatively in-expensive compared to other selectable options.

Summary: 4.88 Gears, Eaton Trutrac in the rear... huge difference towing on the big hills..

Next upgrade:
Front end: Sold my Bilstien 6112 to a buddy that had a Sequoia, built it.. sold it.. decided he couldn't live without one.. so he bought another one and started the build all over.
Replaced them with some ADS Racing Adjustable Bypass Coilovers (650lb Spring still) - 20 Level clicker adjustment - yes, they're amazing...

Rear end: OME Makes quality products, I searched and researched trying to get a set of BP-51 for the font end.. in short.. no go. But.. I did get a set of OME BP-51 for the rear end (Same length as the 60071L shocks I was running)
I paired them with new OME 2863 springs (250lb coil rate instead of the 220 lb rate of the 2860 springs), I got tired of messing with the airbags and knew the new BP-51 wouldn't have any trouble managing the rebound on a heavier spring. The ride quality was a huge upgrade from stock before.. now, the added control and bypass technology has changed my world again. I had to make some custom brackets and weld them to the frame to mount the reservoirs.. but that was a small price to pay to get everything dialed in where it needed to be.

To Top things off.. I decided to run the 35" tires permanently.. the 315/70r17 were too wide, rubbed a little on the frame and started rubbing on my front ADS reservoirs once they were mounted.. so I needed a thinner 35" on 17"
There are only 2 options.. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R or the Kenda Klever - I did some research, decided on the Kenda because of the roots in the A/T world... but with some M/T features as well (These are called an R/T)

End Result of all... More available power, smoother, quieter ride... With more traction thx to the Truetrac.
Time for some pics....
PXL_20210313_225544299.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210217_022315486.jpgPXL_20210206_204255740.jpgPXL_20210313_153242978.PORTRAIT.jpg

More on Instagram @schfenn

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I can tell you I am 6'4" 290lbs and the 05 sequoia is perfect for my size......

Thanks for the update!

Aaron I sure wish you hated them bumpers of yours I need them, BAD!

I want to copy your rig basically, I feel it is perfect!

Keep us posteed please,

Jim

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

Love this build and rig. I am definitely considering my options for my personal rig a few years down the road. One that I can make completely my own with very little oversight or restriction like our family Tahoe. It is likely between a Gx460 and 1st Gen Sequoia. Once you have space for gear it is harder to downsize. I like the idea of quick trips and a well thought out midsized rig but who wants to leave the family out if they want to go also. Then there is budget and aftermarket support too.

Reactions: Jim SoG

djplaistow

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Plaistow
Try this...
I ran my cable out a hole and just pull on the cable directly.. this is the long term fix.
I have had my 2003 Sequoia for about 15 years and 220,000 miles. I've gone through 3 rear latch handles. One of the very few design flaws in the Sequoia. When the last handle (a metal aftermarket one) failed, I ran the cable out of the lower left license plate hole and secured it to the license plate. The license plate is now my rear latch handle. The images below show the fix. It might not be the prettiest solution, but it has lasted a couple years now and I was tired of changing handles.
.1654818396089.png1654818423891.png

Ryker

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Missouri, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hen
For me, "overlanding" is about exploring God's beautiful creations with my family and friends. Having a "built" vehicle can be a great advantage to access the places you want to explore, but it shouldn't limit your exploring. As a child we explored the national parks of Utah every summer as a family, we drove down miles and miles of dusty washboard roads, through canyons, over bridges, and through tunnels. We explored high mountains and sandy washes, paved or unpaved, we did it in our 4cyl 2.6 liter 1986 Dodge Caravan with wood panel siding and maroon cloth interior. Top speed was about 65, going down hill, we carried a huge plastic car top carrier full of our stuff and loaded down with my parents and us 4 kids. That.. was my first overland vehicle.. I inherited it in high school and continued its legacy until it died, it had a long productive life, and served our family well.

#1 - Budget - A lot of people see this as a limiting factor, and it can be, but the idea is to work with what your resources can feasibly maintain without adding stress. It is easy to get caught up comparing and coveting other's vehicles and gear, but it comes down to 1 thing.. what can you reasonably afford?

As my overland vehicle is not my daily driver, and solely serves the purpose of recreation, I didn't want to spend an outrageous amount of money on a vehicle that will likely see trail damage and modifications through out its life. "Wanda" as our Sequoia is now known, was a salvage/rebuilt vehicle.. I did see the original salvage auction photos and talk to the mechanic that repaired her, the stars aligned and I picked her up bone stock for a very reasonable price. When she arrived home, I immediately parked her in the garage and took some photos.
OK... SO.. the secret is out.. I see more and more articles and youtube videos about the "1st Gen Sequoia" and It's overland potential.. you heard it here first..LOL
Anyway, as the interest grows I've gotten more inquiries about my build and how things are going, I guess it is time for an update.
First.. Recap and review of the existing (now old to me) setup...

Front End:
Custom Home made bumper - Loving the bumper still.. got a fresh coat of paint before the winter
Xbull 13k Synthetic Winch - gets used sparingly.. but it works every time I go to use it.. I inspect the winch line periodically to make sure there is no rot or anything on the line.
Autofeel LED White/Amber Pod lights - they still turn on, they are still bright.. and they're inexpensive..
Bilstein 6112 Coilover - I still highly recommend this setup for the front end.. the 650lb spring is ideal for adding some weight and keeping a nice ride on and off road.. you can go to the 700 lb if you get heavy up front..
here is a cool article about the 6112 to back up my claims.. Shock Comparison In the real world, I know 3 people with this setup that are 100% satisfied.
Durobump Bump Stops - These are technically for the 3rd gen 4runner, they are a definitely and upgrade over stock..
SPC Upper control arms - Mine hold true when torqued to spec, regular greasing of the top ball joint.. annual greasing of the UCA mounting bolt - alignment holds just fine
Dual AGM Duralast Gold Batteries - I have mounted a solar panel on the roof and keep them connected when I'm not driving regularly.. keeps the batteries in tip top shape
Ebay snorkel for the 100 series - still sucks in air.. its taken a decent beating in the trees and brush and keeps going...

Mid section:
Custom home made Sliders: have taken several hits, one really knarly hit last year.. bent the outside tube a little.. but they're doing their job protecting the body 100% - I use them to get the rear end to go where I want on rocky trails
Roof Rack: still holds crap.. I'm thinking about building a new one later this year to try and shed a few lbs.. It holds my 23zero 270 awning (yes, its amazing) and shovel.. solar panel.. extra gear on longer trips without the trailer
after 3+ yrs of abuse - all of my "ebay/amazon" led lights are still making things bright..

Rear end:
OME 2860 Springs - still my go-to recommendation for most everybody.. good balance of load carrying capacity - lift, and good ride quality - 3-4" lift empty - just right when you put in the average load out..
OME 60071L Shocks - I beat the heck out of these.. they still work great.. I also highly recommend the FOX 985-24-087 for the rear end for the non-remote adjustable level build
Liftmaster airbags - I used these when towing my trailer to get the ride leveled back out - maybe I just pack too much.. anyone else? haha
Custom home made rear bumper - Dual swing out.. still holding my recovery gear and 3 jerry cans on the driver side.. spare on the passenger side - no complaints.

I believe I was running 285/70r17 BFG KO2 on the stock sequoia rims with 1.25" spacers.. I love the tires.. wanted to try something in the 35" range so I snagged a set of Cooper SST Pro 315/70r17 from a friend that was upgrading to 37"s (Jeep JKU) . I mounted them on an identical set of 17" sequoia stock rims and traded them back and forth between the KO2s depending on the trip and terrain.. It was nice having options, but in reality.. I've got enough going on when prepping a trip to worry about swapping 5 wheels out. They were noisy.. but the traction was amazing and I was able to conquer a few obstacles I couldn't previously on the 33" KO2.
Drawbacks.. #1.. noise #2.. Wanda did not like towing the trailer with 35" tires on the stock 4.10 gears.. the V8 had plenty of power.. but I live in the Mountains.. like 6k ft.. 40 min South I"m at 2500ft, 30 min to the east and I'm at 10k ft, and to the north is riddled with mountain passes, so... yeah, stock tire size is like.. 30.5" It kind of makes the transmission upset to get things that far out of proportion....

Solution? - Decided to re-gear. I blew up my front ring gear in the sand dunes - most likely due to the extra mass of the bigger tires and .. maybe I was having too much fun?
Got some 4.88 Gears (full rebuild kit) from Revolution Gear and Axle- had a local shop install them. Also.. I decided.. opening up the differentials for rebuild is something I don't want to make a habit of, so while its open, we might as well throw a locker in the rear - I've never really "needed" a locker per say, proper use of the Atrac system and careful driving has gotten me where I wanted to go. I decided on an Eaton Trutrac - no maintenance, auto activation, safe for towing, and comparatively in-expensive compared to other selectable options.

Summary: 4.88 Gears, Eaton Trutrac in the rear... huge difference towing on the big hills..

Next upgrade:
Front end: Sold my Bilstien 6112 to a buddy that had a Sequoia, built it.. sold it.. decided he couldn't live without one.. so he bought another one and started the build all over.
Replaced them with some ADS Racing Adjustable Bypass Coilovers (650lb Spring still) - 20 Level clicker adjustment - yes, they're amazing...

Rear end: OME Makes quality products, I searched and researched trying to get a set of BP-51 for the font end.. in short.. no go. But.. I did get a set of OME BP-51 for the rear end (Same length as the 60071L shocks I was running)
I paired them with new OME 2863 springs (250lb coil rate instead of the 220 lb rate of the 2860 springs), I got tired of messing with the airbags and knew the new BP-51 wouldn't have any trouble managing the rebound on a heavier spring. The ride quality was a huge upgrade from stock before.. now, the added control and bypass technology has changed my world again. I had to make some custom brackets and weld them to the frame to mount the reservoirs.. but that was a small price to pay to get everything dialed in where it needed to be.

To Top things off.. I decided to run the 35" tires permanently.. the 315/70r17 were too wide, rubbed a little on the frame and started rubbing on my front ADS reservoirs once they were mounted.. so I needed a thinner 35" on 17"
There are only 2 options.. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R or the Kenda Klever - I did some research, decided on the Kenda because of the roots in the A/T world... but with some M/T features as well (These are called an R/T)

End Result of all... More available power, smoother, quieter ride... With more traction thx to the Truetrac.
Time for some pics....
View attachment 192613

View attachment 192614View attachment 192615View attachment 192616

More on Instagram @schfenn
[/QUOTE
im new here but found this build as I continue to get my 01 up to snuff. What an amazing build man, top notch work. I’m forced to buy my stuff like a philistine so I envy your welding skills. You should build and sell those bumpers, especially that rear set up. I’d buy it.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Thanks man, maybe one day... If I make some, I'll post here !

Reactions: Ryker