Summitdog

Rank 0

Traveler I

Belmont, CA, USA
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Storey
I've been working on an overland build for my '00 EX. It started with wanting to quiet the 7.3L diesel noise in the beast and then morphed into a crazy project. During the project I discovered that there is a huge amount of unused space behind the wheel well cowlings. I have since installed an auxiliary battery, fuse box/junction, ARB Dual Air Compressor, and an air tank all in the driver's side wheel well area. I have an inverter and a WeBoost in the passenger's side wheel well.

Scotty

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX and Bellair

Bellair

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Caledonia, Livingston County, New York, United States
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Santangelo
That’s a lot of space. Did yours come with the dual battery’s up front?

Also I’m working on a deal with a buddy for an 02 F250 7.3. It’s supposed to be the same exact frame as my 01 EX. I’m planning a ground up build eventually with the EX 40 gal tank, a aftermarket 80. Also the 7.3 came with an option for a 5spd, and the ambulance package came with factory dual alternators. So I’m thinking go that route.

Summitdog

Rank 0

Traveler I

Belmont, CA, USA
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Storey
I believe all of the 7.3's have two battery set up in the front. I've had several F350s and EX and they all had that same set up.

I sourced a high capacity alternator from a local "alternator only" shop locally. I do pack a spare for that "just in case" moment. I have had to change the alternator while on the road before on one of my F350s. It had some unique wiring, to include a parasitic draw somewhere in the system, which caused a lot of headaches.

Bellair

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Caledonia, Livingston County, New York, United States
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Santangelo
I believe all of the 7.3's have two battery set up in the front. I've had several F350s and EX and they all had that same set up.

I sourced a high capacity alternator from a local "alternator only" shop locally. I do pack a spare for that "just in case" moment. I have had to change the alternator while on the road before on one of my F350s. It had some unique wiring, to include a parasitic draw somewhere in the system, which caused a lot of headaches.
I did a alt swap on the side of the road lol. At least it’s easy to get to.