01 Cummins build.

• HTML tutorial

trovilcl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hello everyone,

Since my truck is a work in progress, I figured i'd share the short comings and gains I get throughout the whole process. I bought this truck about a year ago, and it has been amazing. My first diesel, and quite frankly I don't know if I could ever go back to a gasser.

The current set up is a 01 Dodge ram 2500. It has the 24v Cummins and 47RE tranny. The transmission was built with lower gears and triple disc torque converter, larger pump and other crap.

Exhaust is 4" open straight pipe, with stock turbo. For the intake, I put a K&N filter in place, and revamped my clog level indicator on the filter housing.

For fuel, I run the Air dog raptor pump, and a newly built Bluechip VP44.

It has a 3" leveling kit, and add a leaf helper springs on the rear. Definitely need new shocks though as they look like they have went through heck.

Im currently running CPP inter-cooler and several aux transmission line coolers. Right now, in Southern Ohio heat during the summer, I can keep it at 135 degrees wide open. I plan on going to a dual electric fan set up to rid myself of the inefficient stock fan.

The wheels are currently stock, and I am running 285x70x16 Mastercraft Courser AXT's.

I have a couple lights added to the front, and have a toolbox for the bed. Truck.jpg

trovilcl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Alright,
So today, I traded an AR15 barrel for a used truck rack. It's an adjustable one, capable of fitting both short and long bed trucks. However, with my truck being a short bed. I have about 2.5 Ft hanging over the cab of the truck. I was thinking about fabbing up a new smallish roof rack. I'll have some other steel coming in soon as well. My uncle has a 3500 with a huge bed rack that he said I can have when he chops it off. This can be an awesome add on to the rack I just got.

So, i've had a problem for a few days in that my tail lights are out. I'm not sure where else to look. I have dug into the wiring; in all the splices Dodge is famous for, and they have all seemed to check out alright. I ended up running a new line to the back of the truck and wiring in some of those red LED light strips they sell at Advanced Auto. I drive my truck everyday, and have been gambling every morning heading 45 minutes to work. They seem to work fine, but are manually switched on. I just have to remember to turn them off everyday.

I just wanted everyone to know that I am a very DIY type of person, and I plan on doing this build with as little expenditure as possible. Trying to win that DIY award.....

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have a 99’ 2500 4x4 with a 2002’ 24V Cummings, manual trans. Love the truck! Use it to haul any and everything. Soon will put on my camper. Fishing in style with this setup!8E77B627-3FC1-42A2-8696-E54DC2B39253.jpeg7927FBF7-FBAD-4A55-B033-9D0B1F3E5681.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

Cornfed

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lane
I've got a 99 2500 with the Cummins. Has the steering brace made a notable difference? Once i get moved and settled I plan on getting the steering all fixed up (fair bit of play. It's a dodge lol). Also any other recommendations for making the truck more trail-ready?

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Cornfed,
So far, my truck steers great! But everything I hear and read seems to all say that the steering brace helps some on the steering feel and helps keep the steering box from breaking the bolts that mount it to the frame. I see some for around $80. Do you have any bad oil leaks? The reason I ask, is the PO before me replaced the stock motor, M53 with the 02’ motor, M55 ( casting number on the side of the block ) the M53 block is made in Brazil, and known to have cracks in the block, like my truck engine did. It ran great but leaked lots of oil. The M55 block is an industrial motor and has more horse power. Mine is 225 hp.model. With the manual trans, 3.54 gears and 285/75/16 tires runs and moves down the road! Vance

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Might just need to bring the sector gear in. Assuming the Dodge box is adjustable like the Fords.

1/4 turn at a time. If you get it perfect near center, but is too tight in sharp turns, then your steering box is toast.

Cornfed

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lane
Vance,
The dreaded 53 block is something i read about when i first got the truck. Luckily after checking I found i didn't have it, cant recall what the number is. I'm also geared at at 3.54 but running 265/70 R17.

John,
I'll look into whether or not the dodge box is adjustable but from what I've been told/read the dodge factory steering box combined with the way the front suspension was done causes a lot of play due to strain on the box and shaft. Thanks for the idea though.