• HTML tutorial

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Im living in dallas, tx currently and am planning a trip through the ozark national forest in arkasas the weekend of oct 9th. the plan is to start in russellville, ar and head towards winslow. starting friday am, and headed back to dallas sunday afternoon. any and all are welcome to join in on the fun!

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

I already have a few people from dallas coming out with me. Anyone else is more than welcome to come

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

we had a great time in the ozarks this last weekend. had a couple guys i know from arkansas join us for saturday.

Friday was the most exciting day for trails. We had stopped at this rangers supervisors office to pick up some information and some maps to help us locate the "official trails". Some of the main roads were more of a trail than a road, and the few trails we did find were severely overgrown. We started calling them "hobbit trails" cause there were very tight. Our campsite that we planned out of the map was apparently on private property, so we had to backtrack a little ways to find one that could hold us all.

The recent additions to the Xterra in the back made this a very easy process, and as Gyula pointed out, step into the office. The lights were amazing for looking a the map at night. No matter where you stood or how many people were looking at this map, you just never got any shadows and made the job extremely easy.

on the west side that we were exploring, we couldnt find too many backcountry campsites, but there were a few campgrounds that are cheap and public.

On saturday, we started heading more north west trying to find some trails. what trails were showing on the map and gps, we couldnt find them trailheads. The one that we did find, was WAY too overgrown to go through. Didnt want to risk vehicle damage blazing through. We wound up driving on the main roads mapping it out with the gps and tagging some points of interest. found a nice spot that we did a little bit of rock climbing, then found a neat little creek that we almost decided to call camp, but cody wanted to camp at a waterfall spot of the northeast side, about 30 mins away.

>

we called it a weekend for the most part and said our goodbye's to the group. On the way home, me and Tommy decided to go a scenic route home. This took us south in arkansas through the ouachita national forest, through mena, then through talhimena and clayton oklahoma. We stopped at a few overlooks and got some nice timelapse video of the roads. (sadly my phone was acting up and didnt want to save any pictures of the way back home :( )

this was a great end to the weekend!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Looks like a great trip. Some nice pictures. I bet it was nice and quiet and relaxing out there.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

It was a great trip! cant wait to go back here in about 3 weeks.

The whole time we were out there, we only ran into some people once at a campsite while we were trying to find a camp site for friday night. other than that, never saw anyone else on the trails

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I camp occasionally, not near as much as i'd like to. I have a 1 and a 3yr old, both are boys, when they get older camping will be easier and more fun. They are just at a tough age to bring them along.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

i have a 4 yr old. she loves coming camping and wheeling with her daddy. Took her on her first camping trip when she was about 6 months, but didnt again untill she was 3 1/2. after they can walk and eat on their own for the most part, its not bad.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yeah, my 3yr old would probably do ok. I probably won't take him until next spring though. It is getting to cold out, it has been around 30-35f here every-night the past week or so. It is getting cold here in Indiana.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

summers suck around here though, always dry, and highs are usually 100+ with lows in the 80s

we also dont have much public land to go wheeling on, so its mostly just off road parks that are just good enough for day trips.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

It is the same on public land here. We usually have highs around 90 and lows around 70 during the summer. Winters are brutally cold though, IMO. I may just be a whimp. We have days and nights as lows as -15f here in the winter, not all the time but decently often.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

lived here in tx my whole life, and ive never seen it drop into the single digits on actual temp. if you factored in the windchill it has though. usually the worst at the end of feb and early march.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

yall are crazy to put up with that kind of weather, especially with what it does to you vehicles

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I prefer colder weather to be honest. If i could have 60f all year round i'd be happy!

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

compared to what yall get, ill take cooler weather all year! 50s at night, 70s & 80s during the day. perfect weather for being outdoors and camping